Trans for turbo's

Cobra8urZ06

Established Member
i've got a 4r75w out of an 05 f150 with a pi triple disc converter and from the research i've seen that trans should hold anything a street car can throw at it, i'm ordering the freddie brown valve body on the fence about a trans brake or not, but i think for an easier install an aod trans with manual vb is the way to go imo.

savant

Death Dealer
Established Member
I've gone back and forth over this but i think I've im going with the magnum. This is mostly because i just cruise around and don't really go to the strip and i like rowing the gears. Ill probably change my mind a couple more time but what are you going to do.

novi2000

Established Member
The Gear Vendors is an overdrive unit that splits the gears so it makes the Th400 a 6 speed. I picked up a used GV unit and the a local trans shop building me a basic 400.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
The Gear Vendors is an overdrive unit that splits the gears so it makes the Th400 a 6 speed. I picked up a used GV unit and the a local trans shop building me a basic 400.

wow im going to have to give them a call, why dont more people do that?

novi2000

Established Member
You should be able to get one for 1500 or less fro the trans alone. I am just having a local guy build one for me that will easily handle 1000+ rwhp.

novi2000

Established Member
Ok I have a better number for you mine cost $2100 which included the core, TCI billet input shaft rated at 1700hp, 34 element sprag, upgraded forward drum,ck performance transbrake/manual valve body, jw ultra bell, flex plate and crank adapter, B&M deep trans pan, and dip stick. This price also includes all clutches, seals bands and labor. The converter will run you $900, If you are thinking of going this route sale the T56 to offset the cost while it is still in good shape.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
op, no to hijack, but i am in the same position and debating weather to invest another 1k + into another twin disc (had a Zoom D2 and it would not hold my power, even tho it is rated for 980ftlbs), or go with a built auto. I wanted a turbo400 but i drive long distances very often and dont want to deal with the revs. so its either a built 4r70w or another twin disk for me (i make 758whp, 648ftlbs at the moment). im so nervous that i might make the wrong choice. Do any of you who have swapped to an auto daily drive your cobras regularly? i put about 8000miles on my car a year.

shhak

Established Member
I ran a Lentech 4R70W in mine for several months. Drove it pretty well every day. I live 20 miles from town, so everytime I drove it, it got 50-75 miles on it at least. After driving a turbo car with an auto, you'll never ever consider a manual trans again! The Lentech held up great in my car, but as soon as I sold it to a buddy of mine, he broke it. I think it was a cable adjustment thing though.

Lentech builds some seriously tough transmissions. Not sure I'd want to put anything over 750 or so thru it on a daily basis, but anything under that and you should be fine.

This time around, we're using a PTC built glide. We're going to try it anyway. I sort of think we'll be swapping to a TH400 pretty soon though.....

shhak

Established Member
really awesome! it was THAT much faster??

Once the car gets in the boost, it stay in the boost until you let off it. You don't loose any boost between gears and it pulls constantly. With the auto, you can beat cars that have way more power if they're running a 6 speed. If I ever bought another turbo cobra it'd get an auto within a few days....

savant

Death Dealer
Established Member
So do you think i could get one to live behind about 750hp while maintaining overdrive?

shhak

Established Member
So do you think i could get one to live behind about 750hp while maintaining overdrive?

As long you don't try to go into overdrive while getting on it, you should be fine. OD will never last with much power at all.

Users who are viewing this thread