tremec magnum xl

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Wire a two plug sensor in place and tune it for a Gt500 trans in SCT, at least that was said on tremec magnum install on 2011 mustang on youtube I watched. Just wanted to know if it is that easy or do we need to spend the $170 for a box to do that?

I don't think the getrag and tremec speedo sensors are the same though so I"m not really sure how that works. For example, you can't even reuse the reverse indicator lights plug from the getrag, the depth of the sensor is much different so I had to cut the plug off the getrag one and wire it into the tremec one.

I called cunningham motorsports about it but they were pretty rude and didn't see to know what they were talking about. Rather than dealing with that, I just got the box and wired it up. The instructions were a little vague but now that I've done it once, I would have no problem wiring it up again. It's only about 9 wires in total that you have to mess with-- 4 from the box, 3 from the harness, and 2 from the speedo pigtail.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
There should be a drinking game for every time that guy says "hurst driveline t56 magnum swap for s197 mustangs". Seriously..

also, according to Stangtv, the said cunningham motorsports was able to do get it to wor w/o the box, but like I said, I called them and they were no help so screw it, the box works perfectly.

mhyjek

Established Member
There should be a drinking game for every time that guy says "hurst driveline t56 magnum swap for s197 mustangs". Seriously..

also, according to Stangtv, the said cunningham motorsports was able to do get it to wor w/o the box, but like I said, I called them and they were no help so screw it, the box works perfectly.

That's the video I saw, I think they said to use a gt500 speedo clip and parameters and its good to go. The box is probably just converts the signal no reason can't change a line in the code to understand it since the Magnum and 6060 are essentially the same transmission and is used in GT500?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
That's the video I saw, I think they said to use a gt500 speedo clip and parameters and its good to go. The box is probably just converts the signal no reason can't change a line in the code to understand it since the Magnum and 6060 are essentially the same transmission and is used in GT500?

Possibly.. except what are you going to do with the 3rd wire that comes out of the harness? The speedo plug on tremec trans is 2 wires, the harness on MT82 transmission car is 3..

Benchracer

Established Member
Anybody elses cruise control quit working after they installed the T56 magnum? Works in 3rd gear but thats it. Already got a freaking speeding ticket because of it.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Anybody elses cruise control quit working after they installed the T56 magnum? Works in 3rd gear but thats it. Already got a freaking speeding ticket because of it.

I haven't tested mine yet but I don't know why it wouldn't work. Everything else is 100%

poof100

Established Member

Mine had the same issue. I need to ask Eric at JPC what they did to resolve it.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Mine had the same issue. I need to ask Eric at JPC what they did to resolve it.

In that case, I'll assume mine doesn't work either. Post up when you have the solution.

Did you guys update your tune to reflect the new transmission gear ratios for 1-6 and Reverse?

darreng505

Established Member
In that case, I'll assume mine doesn't work either. Post up when you have the solution.

Did you guys update your tune to reflect the new transmission gear ratios for 1-6 and Reverse?

I did not, but my tune removes torque management which I think is the facility that would need that information - which is for fuel efficiency stuff. Just remove TM if you haven't already.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I did not, but my tune removes torque management which I think is the facility that would need that information - which is for fuel efficiency stuff. Just remove TM if you haven't already.

I'm pretty sure all of my TM stuff is maxed so it never comes on. Are you sure that's the only aspect of the tune that relies on the gear ratios?

poof100

Established Member

Yes please for future ref

Will do. It might not be until this weekend or early next week. They are slammed right now in trying to get all of the cars ready for Bowling Green next weekend. I'll definitely get the resolution on this.

As for the tune and the Magnum, also not sure. I'll find out from Kevin.

mhyjek

Established Member
Here is the actual text
"There are two options for wiring the speed sensor on this particular swap. Ford originally used a three wire setup for the ’11 Mustang GT, however the T-56 Magnum XL uses a two wire. Cunningham has figured out how to make the harness a two wire affair and reprogram the car’s computer accordingly via SCT software. The 2011 GT500 transmission software was the source for this solution, “I compared the two, filled in the blanks, and viola it worked,” says Cunningham.

The skip shift wire is not used and can be capped and moved out of the way, there’s no veiled attempt at skirting gas guzzler taxes here."

I wonder if the 13-14 don't have skip shift if it has 3 pin sensor?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
No skip shift on 13+ and no skip shift solenoid on T56 magnum trans either. For the 13 crew, you just have to wire in the speedo, and wire up the reverse lights and you're good to go.

Like I said--I called cunningham and they were pretty rude on the phone. At first they argued with me about whether or not the car had reverse lights and a reverse lockout solenoid. Once they got over that, they said "oh ya we got it wired up without the box but cruise control doesn't work." I asked if they could help me out since I have the ability to tune my own car and he said "ya, but you'll have to buy something from me, I'm just not going to help you for free."

So ya, I just went with the box from JPC instead. Problem solved.

Benchracer

Established Member
No skip shift on 13+ and no skip shift solenoid on T56 magnum trans either. For the 13 crew, you just have to wire in the speedo, and wire up the reverse lights and you're good to go.

Like I said--I called cunningham and they were pretty rude on the phone. At first they argued with me about whether or not the car had reverse lights and a reverse lockout solenoid. Once they got over that, they said "oh ya we got it wired up without the box but cruise control doesn't work." I asked if they could help me out since I have the ability to tune my own car and he said "ya, but you'll have to buy something from me, I'm just not going to help you for free."

So ya, I just went with the box from JPC instead. Problem solved.

Your cruise control works?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Your cruise control works?

Yep, tested in on the way to work this morning.

I don't know if it's normal, but cruise control only works in 6th gear. I was on the highway at 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90mph and it worked just fine. If I put the car in 5th gear, though, it wouldn't work.

I'm not sure if that's how it normally operates but I don't ever use cruise control unless I'm in 6th gear so that works for me. :beer:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Yep, tested in on the way to work this morning.

I don't know if it's normal, but cruise control only works in 6th gear. I was on the highway at 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90mph and it worked just fine. If I put the car in 5th gear, though, it wouldn't work.

I'm not sure if that's how it normally operates but I don't ever use cruise control unless I'm in 6th gear so that works for me. :beer:

Its not normal c/c is suppose to work in 4th 5th and 6th, the issue being if your only set for 6th and your on a road where you have to do 55mph in 6th your probably looking at 1200 rpm which is not good! Im gonna make sure when jpc installs
my tremec that i have it in 4th 5th and 6th!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread