Trump's Proposed 25% Tariff On Steel

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You've totally missed my point. Do you think options would suddenly become free if the base price of an Ecoboost became $40K? Then you'd be looking at a near $55K Ecoboost.

My point is that high tariffs on steel is going to drive up the price of steel products.

Your point was that a 4 banger will cost 40k. When in reality it already does for the avg buyer. Thats before any tariffs.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The truth is that the base model ecoboost at 27k and base gt at 37k are phenomenal values.

Loaded up to to 40k and 50k, they still are exceptional values.

The real peaches are the Germans. And I do hope trump puts a tariff on those puppies. They put a 50% tariff on American cars in Germany. Let’s put a 50% tariff on German cars and pay down some debt.

People will still buy those cars because it’s so liberal and cool to have a German car. Rich people will buy it up at the same pace because it’s a status symbol.

(I’m about 25% serious but I’m done with political correctness. Obviously America isn’t going to put a 50% tariff on German cars.)

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Based on the amount China wants to charge me to ship China steel back to them it is currently heavily against us.

At the same time steel prices have been increasing steadily for 6+ months in overseas markets. Expect a 50%+ increase in steel products here in the US if this goes through.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
B386F32F-E4F8-4724-9336-33E30DAF1804.jpeg
858275DA-4E14-4333-9D8A-E9001A7DBA26.jpeg

Anyone thinking Trump is such a fool should turn off the mainstream media intake.

He’s a New Yorker. He talks. Globalism and the technocratic takeover, as well as China’s power grab are at the least set back by 5-10 years. Xi ending term limits is a scary sign of the longer term picture, but for at least 5-6 years, assuming our patriots in the military and secret service can keep our POTUS safe and healthy, America is seeing a bright shining morning again.

I posted these pictures to show some decent evidence that Trump can be associated with some semblance of very stable genius. Even if this is a covert tactic by Nort Korea to bide time, it lowers the temperature dramatically and gets our patriots vital intel into some of their inner workings as time marches on with this.

Back to steel or aluminum, does anybody honestly think that even doubling the end price could impact the actual cost of goods by more than 10-20%? Consider the cost make up of an item. Most items operate with 10-25% being cogs, 10-25% being production, labor, marketing, and facilitation, and the remainder of the price being wholesale markup. Follow that to wholesalers nearly doubling price for retail. A can of beans sells for $.50 to .75 to the store, and $1-$1.5 on the shelf as an example. The store also handles delivery and distribution fee but that’s all spread out so add a nickle to a dime per case of goods.

Who honestly thinks companies would be stupid enough to double or triple the entire price of the can of beans simply because the $.05 of tin is now $.08 or $.10? If prices have to raise across the board for all tin cans, don’t you think at least one manufacturer is going to consider just leaving the price as is for 3 months to get a leg up on the competition while they all raise prices by 10 to 15 cents?

That’s capitalism. It let’s businesses direct their decisions and fates.

The tariffs would represent about $100 but let’s even say $1000 on an entire car. Who will go into a board meeting and propose doubling the price of the car? “Hey guys, I’ve got it. Let’s get every 18-25 year old Bernie supporter to buy our new Globalia Ecobug coup’e by putting the price at $50k and saying it’s what we had to do because of these tariffs! All those basement dwellers will feel totally drawn to us because we are the victim!!!”

No way.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
This tariff is going to hurt my industry in the short term. However it's going to be better for this country as a whole in the long term. I draw steel plans for multi-story storage buildings all over the country. I do about a million sqft a year. It's not really the cost that's going to hurt me. It's only going to increase the project cost total by about 8-10%. What's going to hurt us is the short term shortage of steel that this is going to create until previously closed mills can get up and running again. Plus domestic mills are notorious for under producing to drive demand and price higher.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
View attachment 1471189 View attachment 1471190

Anyone thinking Trump is such a fool should turn off the mainstream media intake.

He’s a New Yorker. He talks. Globalism and the technocratic takeover, as well as China’s power grab are at the least set back by 5-10 years. Xi ending term limits is a scary sign of the longer term picture, but for at least 5-6 years, assuming our patriots in the military and secret service can keep our POTUS safe and healthy, America is seeing a bright shining morning again.

I posted these pictures to show some decent evidence that Trump can be associated with some semblance of very stable genius. Even if this is a covert tactic by Nort Korea to bide time, it lowers the temperature dramatically and gets our patriots vital intel into some of their inner workings as time marches on with this.

Back to steel or aluminum, does anybody honestly think that even doubling the end price could impact the actual cost of goods by more than 10-20%? Consider the cost make up of an item. Most items operate with 10-25% being cogs, 10-25% being production, labor, marketing, and facilitation, and the remainder of the price being wholesale markup. Follow that to wholesalers nearly doubling price for retail. A can of beans sells for $.50 to .75 to the store, and $1-$1.5 on the shelf as an example. The store also handles delivery and distribution fee but that’s all spread out so add a nickle to a dime per case of goods.

Who honestly thinks companies would be stupid enough to double or triple the entire price of the can of beans simply because the $.05 of tin is now $.08 or $.10? If prices have to raise across the board for all tin cans, don’t you think at least one manufacturer is going to consider just leaving the price as is for 3 months to get a leg up on the competition while they all raise prices by 10 to 15 cents?

The tariffs would represent about $100 but let’s even say $1000 on an entire car. Who will go into a board meeting and propose doubling the price of the car? “Hey guys, I’ve got it. Let’s get every 18-25 year old Bernie supporter to buy our new Globalia Ecobug coup’e by putting the price at $50k and saying it’s what we had to do because of these tariffs! All those basement dwellers will feel totally drawn to us because we are the victim!!!”

No way.

Apparently, you've never seen the games they play with gas prices. Something happens at a refinery or pipeline and the prices immediately skyrocket. Once the refinery or pipeline is repaired, all of a sudden the excuse is "Well, it takes time for that new gas to get through the pipelines. When it does, then we'll see prices come back down." And the prices never get back down to pre-disaster levels until the oil companies are sitting on stockpiles bigger than they have room to store.

Anyway, when the price of gas goes up, the price of virtually everything goes up. Businesses whine and moan about the costs of manufacturing/shipping, but they never bear the brunt of it. They pass those costs straight to the consumers. We take it in the ass from every industry.

... Plus domestic mills are notorious for under producing to drive demand and price higher.

Bingo!

The domestic capitalism that so many people love so much is exactly why it's too damned expensive to buy American made goods. Companies move production overseas not to bring costs down but to maximize profits. Ever wonder why a new average family car is barely affordable by the average family?

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I am curious to know how many steel mills in the USA are modern. Likewise, how many are woefully outdated? Since steel is a very capital-intensive business, many steel firms have chosen to invest their money elsewhere. As such, steelmaking capacity decreased. Recall when US Steel chose to buy Marathon Oil rather than modernize their plants back in the 80s.

A lot of the issues involving the steel industry in the USA can be attributed to their lack of modernization. In the 1980s, the US steel mills were far more inefficient compared to Japanese steel mills. Tax breaks and subsidies, in the past, have failed to induce US steel mills to reinvest and modernize their steel mills....I don't see how a tariff on foreign steel is going to change any of this.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I am curious to know how many steel mills in the USA are modern. Likewise, how many are woefully outdated? Since steel is a very capital-intensive business, many steel firms have chosen to invest their money elsewhere. As such, steelmaking capacity decreased. Recall when US Steel chose to buy Marathon Oil rather than modernize their plants back in the 80s.

A lot of the issues involving the steel industry in the USA can be attributed to their lack of modernization. In the 1980s, the US steel mills were far more inefficient compared to Japanese steel mills. Tax breaks and subsidies, in the past, have failed to induce US steel mills to reinvest and modernize their steel mills....I don't see how a tariff on foreign steel is going to change any of this.

You can blame the union leeches for that.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

The US steel industry is actually quite healthy. While the US is off highs of the 1970s, production is in line with the 1980s.
united-states-steel-production.png

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
All things considered, I’d rather see American companies make or rather exploit American consumers for extra money that stays in America then have lower prices but watch the money flow out of the country into foreign hands hellbent on surpassing America and honestly sacking us.

Anyways, if I have to choose between getting screwed by foreigners softly but completely, or by locals embarrassingly but rebukably, I’ll take the option that has a playable 2nd hand.

Last edited:

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
View attachment 1471189 View attachment 1471190

No way.

You seem to be the only one in this thread who has a solid grasp of the reality of the situation. There will be no instant gratification in this matter. These are all long term projects that are now necessary due to the fact that these conditions were permitted to exist in the first place. It goes far deeper than just trade and affects most aspects of life in the US. It's a lot harder to fix something than it is to destroy it.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You seem to be the only one in this thread who has a solid grasp of the reality of the situation. There will be no instant gratification in this matter. These are all long term projects that are now necessary due to the fact that these conditions were permitted to exist in the first place. It goes far deeper than just trade and affects most aspects of life in the US. It's a lot harder to fix something than it is to destroy it.

At 26, I found the red pill. By 27, I had studied it enough, by 28, I started a healthy intake.

Infowars, gateway pundit, and Drudge Report, gab, etc all have real value. It’s no wonder that the technocrats censor and manipulate their traffic and revenue.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The US steel industry is actually quite healthy. While the US is off highs of the 1970s, production is in line with the 1980s.
. View attachment 1471490

At its surface, that would look to be the case, but Notice how the trend grew steadily from about 6000 to 8500 from 1992 to 2007? That bodes decently with population growth, albeit far below 1960/70 production levels.

Consider this. In 1970, there was maybe 4 billion people on the planet, and FAR less development world wide.

Imagine how our economic footprint and standing would be if:
-we had maintained and grew steadily from 1960/1970 levels at a rate capable of matching population. That graph would read about 25000 for 2018.
-that money’s tax and investment portfolios had been appropriated smartly to manage retirement, socioeconomic concerns, environmental wellness like clean water in Detroit and so on
-think of what kind of economic spur that could have been to so many facits of our economy-everything from secondary, to tertiary to capillary avenues that would be benefited from that level of production
-the employed parties had those jobs to support their family’s and the greater economic benefit

Now compare that picture to what we have.

-Corrupt politicians sold us out
-happily willing countries are cuttin us up one small nick at a time and watching us bleed out
-societies in mill towns have been devastated
-those people have no retirement plans in place (en mass)
-those communities have disgusting water (flint) and very high crime rates.

Ya, go globalism. Oh, and the idea that “ya but the world as a whole is in a better place since the spoiled Americans didn’t squander the money”

Don’t even go there, it dies when you do any research to see how those countries people live. Chinese people live like boarded kenneled animals, Africans are dirt poor, Indians are a hair better off than Chinese, or worse, Europeans are in a terrorist killing and maiming field, Canadians have speech police and growing terrorist take over concerns with things like terrorists winning lawsuits and getting to have their way with kids legally, South America has rampant cartel violence and bloodshed so bad, their people flee into America for some semblance of safety only to be killed by the same gangs and watch their communities be blacklisted as ghettos.

A strong safe and prosperous America or more so those principals, spirit, and energy, have the power to lead the entire world from danger and dis-ease (as in not an easy life) to something comfortable and enjoyable. That’s not to say it can do so in 1 year or 7, but as a tried and true path, people-the human spirit, that god given spark, it does so much more when it is not stressed, heavily taxed, terrorized, or killed.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Ya, go globalism. Oh, and the idea that “ya but the world as a whole is in a better place since the spoiled Americans didn’t squander the money”

Don’t even go there, it dies when you do any research to see how those countries people live. Chinese people live like boarded kenneled animals, Africans are dirt poor, Indians are a hair better off than Chinese, or worse, Europeans are in a terrorist killing and maiming field, Canadians have speech police and growing terrorist take over concerns with things like terrorists winning lawsuits and getting to have their way with kids legally, South America has rampant cartel violence and bloodshed so bad, their people flee into America for some semblance of safety only to be killed by the same gangs and watch their communities be blacklisted as ghettos.

None of that is true to the level you're making it seem. A few posts ago, you said people need to turn off MSM, but in this post, you basically parroted what the MSM and Euro-centric opinion sites say. You've fallen susceptible to the opinions of the people writing "articles" on the sites you said you visit. And they all preach the same sermon. If you really want to be enlightened and informed, you should expand your horizons.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
There’s msm, milk toast, whole wheat, and himilayan salt tablet seared Jeti Steaks.

You’re telling me to enjoy some nice palpable and socially acceptable whole wheat from people like Ben Shapiro or maybe a Tucker Carlson or better yet a Michael Savage or a Rush Limbaugh.

I do. They push the issues 3/4’s, and keep a general stance to avoid conclusion jumping.

Their own coverage of events and news has become increasingly more pointed, and sounding of alarms is more and more prevelant.

It used to be that hearing of a scheme to depopulate the American society en mass, lower our general IQ and weaken our health while ushering in a Chinese takeover was extreme.

I don’t think most people listening to even milk toast news like NPR (terrible imo) or whole wheat like Rush or Savage would call it extreme.

Back to steal, as it ties into all of this, if we don’t embark on a trade war (and fear not to the meek or timid, Trump can handle this), we as a nation will struggle to starve off inflation in the coming years do to the bond and economic markets.

The tax plan by itself, without a vast new playground of production and development, cannot be balanced only by the current table of intellectual property, coming enginuity, sciences, technologies and general industries as goods and services dictate.

To balance that growth and break the debt climbing cycles, we need exports, and lots of them. We have record trade deficits and groups are beginning to reject our 2.8-2.95% 10 year notes.

If you want to see a real calamity, watch what happens with massive tax cuts, and a limited manufacturing sector.

We need to nationalize as much industry as possible to maintain a healthy ebb and flow chart here.

To those that actually approve of policing the world in the false name of keeping peace, how can America do so if we begin to have larger deficits than our entire annual defense budget and retirement dues combined? Those deficits will only grow unless the country can expand production.

I don’t hear cnn or msnbc talking about pro nationalism to stem off a concerted effort to strip America bare of economic or defensive power. Tell me where I am.

Also, th I water in Flint isn’t doing their people favors. While I agree it isn’t all the rage the msn says, I am a populist in that we need clean water, air, food, education, and healthcare to have a capable society.

That’s not a left or right thing, it’s an honest human thing. If they keep dumbing down and sickening society with heavy metals, toxins, carcinogens and on, look for a general IQ drop of 15 points in 25 years with skyrocketing cancer and suicide. That ain’t going to make a better America. You can’t shit where you eat. So why do we use bio sludge made from sewer waste to fertilize our food? That has toxins, aborted fetus’, noxious gasses and on in it.

Users who are viewing this thread