Turbo 4V exhaust

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the 4V in my 98, and this time I'm sneaking a 67mm under the hood.
I keep reading how the turbo will really quiet down the exhaust. Currently, it has the classic off-road H and Flowmaster 2 Chambers. I always liked the old school rumble, but also want to change it up a bit.
Any suggestions or video clips from you single turbo 4V guys?

My turbo kit comes with a custom fit catted H, but that's not set in stone either.

Last edited:

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
While I have a twin set-up and you are asking specifically about a single, I believe I can still provide some input. I don't believe that a turbo "quiets" an exhaust all by itself. What is done after the turbo has a dramatic affect on the sound and volume(sound level).

For example, my car had a 2 1/2" off-road h-pipe going into Borla XR-1 Sportsman mufflers and dumped. It had a nice, low rumble. Highway cruising around 2200-2300 was reasonable. The entire exhaust was wrapped.

I switched to a 3" system, without a crossover, and am now using 3" Dynomax Bullet mufflers that dump. The new exhaust is also wrapped. It is considerably louder, almost like the SLP Loud Mouth. However, I can now hear the turbo's through the exhaust during normal driving, which I like a lot. Highway cruising isn't as enjoyable.( I am in my later 40's, so.....) It is still fairly deep in tone.

Based on my experience, I would recommend the Borla XR-1 Sportsman mufflers. I may switch back to those in 3" myself. Typically, in a FI set-up, chambered mufflers are a power-choking choice.

As another option, you could run a single 3" system.

Hope this helps. Your choices really comes down to what kind of sound you want.

MG0h3

Established Member
Same as above; nothing chambered.

Best performance is dumped. Had mine like that and it def spooled quicker but sounded like ass. Ended up running no muffs all the way out the tails. Sounded awesome at idle but this was on a push rod 331 foxbody. Can’t recall how I felt about it wot honestly.

I don’t think a straight through muff would really hamper performance much though, if at all.

If I were to do it again I’d probably run no muffs out dual tailpipes and swap mufflers in later if I didn’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
What about Bassani? I can't find a straight answer on chambered vs pass thru. Best I have found is they are a combo muffler. I guess they are a no go then?
Sooooo...
Borla
Magnaflow
SLP
Bassani(?)
Who else has pass through?
Needs to sound good with an H pipe.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice. Yup, that's another.
Now I need to do some listening. I was decided on Bassani, but now I'm not so sure.

Users who are viewing this thread