Turbo big horsepower guys high Iat's cure?

BoostedGT217

Established Member
I Have a 14gt with hellion twin kit... I'm currently at 18lbs of boost and my Iat's are starting to climb past 160.. I want to go farther with the car.. curious what mainly the twin turbo guys have done to keep the Iat's down.. There's talk about bigger air to air or air to water.. this car is a street/strip car.. still has a.c etc.. I'd like to keep the air to air if possible as well as the a.c

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Bigger air to air or meth injection is the easy answer.

Im not making near the same power as you are but i run a trunk mount 3 gallon methanol kit, dual 10gph nozzles, aem controller, and 100% VP methanol.

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
Any boxing to your intercooler to direct the air through it?
Boxing the IC on my turbo Focus dropped the temps by 30 degrees in a 1/4 mile run. Boxed using 1/8" x 1" aluminum.
I haven't boxed the IC on this build yet, but it's in the list.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
interesting cause I've never seen my go above 110 degrees ever but I haven't been to 18 lbs yet but I don't see temps rising above 130 tho. different kit different intercooler obviously.

Ur at 18 lbs of boost? That shud be close to a 1000 hp. what fuel are u running?

BoostedGT217

Established Member
E85.. That was on a track pass 170 iat's on the top end @21lbs.. how much boost are you running ? Was that a track pass? Twins etc?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I would first box the intercooler but if you're running good E85, the fuel will likely tolerate those IATs.
Have you checked the plugs?
Also, swapping to a compact air-water cooler would net much improved IATs, allow you to ice it and significantly improve the radiator by removing the A/A cooler.
Still, other than boxing the cooler, I doubt you'll have issues on E85.
-J

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Running E85, your actual charge temp is lower than the reading since it can't measure the cooling that happens once fuel is introduced. With that being said, it sounds like you're making more power than your A2A is designed for.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I was at 10 lbs and bent a rod but never seen it go more then 15 degrees over ambient. motor built now and gonna turn up the boost. its a single 76mm. will report back wen I get everything dialed in. well 21 lbs is a lot more then I've been so I don't have an apples to apples comparison sry

seems like u have some other cooling issues going on maybe. hows ur radiator holding up?

E85.. That was on a track pass 170 iat's on the top end @21lbs.. how much boost are you running ? Was that a track pass? Twins etc?

robrbn

Established Member
You were running 10# on the stock bottom end? You like to party lol

How much power was it making when it bent a rod?

I was at 10 lbs and bent a rod but never seen it go more then 15 degrees over ambient. motor built now and gonna turn up the boost. its a single 76mm. will report back wen I get everything dialed in. well 21 lbs is a lot more then I've been so I don't have an apples to apples comparison sry

seems like u have some other cooling issues going on maybe. hows ur radiator holding up?

Last edited:

KEVINS

Established Member
Running E85, your actual charge temp is lower than the reading since it can't measure the cooling that happens once fuel is introduced. With that being said, it sounds like you're making more power than your A2A is designed for.

I agree. The temp sensor is upstream of the injectors so the sensor isn't measuring any cooling affect the E85 has. By the time the air hits the cylinders the inlet air temp is a lot cooler than what is being sensed.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I set my car up as a flex fuel car so I run 91/meth and E85 on my 2V and just made 902hp/820tq at 32psi on E85.

ks

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
ha.... yea I think secretly I was hoping it was gonna fail so I cud build somthn to make a lot more power on pump gas which is wat I'm limited to as there is no E85 here.

on a Mustang dyno it made 640 which isn't too over the top for a stock motor. I guess thats probably over 700 on a dynojet which I guess is rolling the dice lol. I will say it felt really fast...... and I did secretly say to myself I shud turn it down before I break somthn.... well, u know how that goes lol

Oh yea that was a real "Warm n fuzzy" feeling hearing a rod let go but as soon as it happen I was like well time to go really fast now I guess lol

You were running 10# on the stock bottom end? You like to party lol

How much power was it making when it bent a rod?

robrbn

Established Member
haha well played sir

ha.... yea I think secretly I was hoping it was gonna fail so I cud build somthn to make a lot more power on pump gas which is wat I'm limited to as there is no E85 here.

on a Mustang dyno it made 640 which isn't too over the top for a stock motor. I guess thats probably over 700 on a dynojet which I guess is rolling the dice lol. I will say it felt really fast...... and I did secretly say to myself I shud turn it down before I break somthn.... well, u know how that goes lol

Oh yea that was a real "Warm n fuzzy" feeling hearing a rod let go but as soon as it happen I was like well time to go really fast now I guess lol

CPRsm

Nah you're good to over 30psi. Your intercooler is much different.

Users who are viewing this thread