TURBRO dialing in the Glide

Doug1227

Established Member
Low boost (19psi) pass dialing in the glide. Definitely a different feel than the 6R80. Need to tighten up the front and bring it in sooner and more boost! Should be fun once I get some more seat time!

Doug1227

Established Member
First pass was a 5.78@123 with a soft 1.40 60'. We turned it up in round 2 and spun. Front was too soft and it unloaded when it came back down. 3rd pass we just turned down some so it was close to the first pass on the launch but added more power later. It cut a 1.38 and I got a little loose up top and had to pedal.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice!
Is that a stock Aluminator with twins or is the shortblock built further? Fuel?
Looks like fun! I'm sure the 6R was more violent and going from 6 to 2 gears is shocking but the glide never stops pulling. Rear gear?
Looking forward to something similar in my Fox.
Good luck man.
-J

Doug1227

Established Member
Darton sleeved, billet rods, diamond Pistons, boss crank, ported heads, hellion twin 64's. Big fuel system (triple 465's) E-85, 3.55 rear gears. thanks!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
nice. what RPM were u leaving? how does the glide ride on the street or is this a race car only?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
nice. what RPM were u leaving? how does the glide ride on the street or is this a race car only?
I'll let Doug give you his experience but a glide or any non-OD trans high gear is high gear 1:1
A glide only has 2 gears so on the street it feels a bit soft from a start but not that bad and once in second/high you're hooked up and rolling out like on the track. Many cars like this with big power and the low gears are useless on the street anyway. Still streetable with a Glide yes.
-J

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yea I've never rode it one myself. jus wonder what it wud be like crusing down the hi way at say 70 mph.

I've had several TH400's but no glide. but I do see the guys making 2000+ hp racing in the true street competitions and they drive hundreds of miles so I guess its doable

I wud think most of have a gear vendors OD attached tho

I'll let Doug give you his experience but a glide or any non-OD trans high gear is high gear 1:1
A glide only has 2 gears so on the street it feels a bit soft from a start but not that bad and once in second/high you're hooked up and rolling out like on the track. Many cars like this with big power and the low gears are useless on the street anyway. Still streetable with a Glide yes.
-J

Doug1227

Established Member
These were around 4500 rpm. I'll probably raise that up once I tighten things up in front. It does great on the street. At first the tranny was getting too hot, but I swapped converters and got something with a heavy duty mechanical diode and it runs MUCH cooler. Street/strip combo.

Doug1227

Established Member
I've got 3.55's so it's not GREAT on highway. Would probably be better with some 3.27's or something but I'd be giving up some at the track. It can handle highway cruising and hums along around 3000 rpm at 70. I'd love to pick up a Gear Vendor setup someday.... For now, I just cruise it to work occasionally and attend a lot of True Street style events with a cruise and race.

-J

Doug1227

Established Member
I'd also add that with the right converter and turbo boost, you can hit them pretty hard in Low and still be pretty peppy around town.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd also add that with the right converter and turbo boost, you can hit them pretty hard in Low and still be pretty peppy around town.
Thanks for the info on the change in diode effecting the trans cooler. Definitely good to know real life feedback.
Also agree on the converter allowing street fun.
Overall, the big power combos tend to like taller gears, which make for a better street combo. I had 3.25s and 30" rears with my 427W/88mm turbo and I rarely needed the OD available. It was nice to have but these cars aren't really built to cruise at 80-85mph.
Then the taller gears allowed it to pull in low gears once you were on the converter.
You might like a 315/60 or 295/65/15 to cruise to the track and save the real sticky tires.
At the end its all a compromise and you make your choices, street vs. strip---but its a nice we have so many choices these days.
Keep it up Doug and let us know please.
-J

Doug1227

Established Member
You bet. The spragless converters will make the temps be much hotter especially while cruising on the highway. The old thought process was by deleting it, you make the converter stronger. However, most of the converter manufacturers now offer very strong sprags or mechanical diodes that give you the benefit of the sprag, but with the added durability. My converter is a ProTorque 2-piece and they told me when we were spec'ing it that they have diodes that are good to 2500hp. Go figger! LOL!

I've been using the 3.55 since my tuner recommended it. I think while a numerically lower gear would make cruising better, less gear probably puts more stress on the driveline while racing, and also makes getting the converter just right a challenge....I'm considering trying some 30" tall tires for a 1/2 mile runway race. I might see how they highway cruise as well! :)

Thanks for the info on the change in diode effecting the trans cooler. Definitely good to know real life feedback.
Also agree on the converter allowing street fun.
Overall, the big power combos tend to like taller gears, which make for a better street combo. I had 3.25s and 30" rears with my 427W/88mm turbo and I rarely needed the OD available. It was nice to have but these cars aren't really built to cruise at 80-85mph.
Then the taller gears allowed it to pull in low gears once you were on the converter.
You might like a 315/60 or 295/65/15 to cruise to the track and save the real sticky tires.
At the end its all a compromise and you make your choices, street vs. strip---but its a nice we have so many choices these days.
Keep it up Doug and let us know please.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread