Two more excellent reasons to hate Treynor

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Ben,with all the choices available today in the supercar market, what makes you choose one car over another? Is it the "cool factor", resale value, performance, certain abilities or a combination of these and more?
Also, how often do you have to say goodbye to one in the stable to make room for a new ride? Or do you just build another garage?

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ben,with all the choices available today in the supercar market, what makes you choose one car over another? Is it the "cool factor", resale value, performance, certain abilities or a combination of these and more?
Also, how often do you have to say goodbye to one in the stable to make room for a new ride? Or do you just build another garage?

I'd say a combination of driving experience, novelty, and total cost (cars which appreciate are no-brainers). So the TDF is more my sort of car than the 812 because the driving experience is so on point, and the car's character is sporty but without being impractical as a GT car.

And we have only sold the Aventador recently. We just keep building garages :/

jrandy

Established Member
Hey Ben,

Did you or any of your cars make it to Monterey this weekend?

Last edited:

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Did you or any of your cars make it to Monterey this weekend?

We drove down the LaF Aperta for the Ferrari 70th event. And the Dawn for commuter duty :)

You sold the Aventador? What took its place now? Or I guess it is something coming that is taking its place

It wasn't getting driven - beautiful car, beautiful exhaust note, but the competition for garage space was getting fierce. And the LaF Aperta was showing up...

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Hey Ben, what is the best lap time you ran with your ACR?

I ran in the 1:34s at Laguna Seca with the 90dB noise restriction between turn 5 and 6. Comparing my laps to Randy's that restriction added just over 2 sec/lap. So call it the equivalent of 1:32s -- 2 seconds off of Randy's pace in the same car, which is about right for me vs a good pro driver.

[..]One is a McLaren F1. Have you considered getting one of those?

Considered it, yes. But the F1 price now is extraordinary - there's a lot of downside if the sports car market softens, as it periodically does. The MBZ 300SL on the other hand has come down >30% in the past three years, so it may be Time for that car.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Why are collectors so obsessed with the 300SL GW Treynor? What's the appeal, just the rarity?

Considered it, yes. But the F1 price now is extraordinary - there's a lot of downside if the sports car market softens, as it periodically does. The MBZ 300SL on the other hand has come down >30% in the past three years, so it may be Time for that car.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Why are collectors so obsessed with the 300SL GW Treynor? What's the appeal, just the rarity?

I can't speak for everyone else, the 300s are beautiful cars and 60 years later they still are a joy on the road. Plus they hold their value well, so they are not expensive to own.

50stangpower

Established Member
I can't speak for everyone else, the 300s are beautiful cars and 60 years later they still are a joy on the road. Plus they hold their value well, so they are not expensive to own.

Agreed. They offer a timeless look, and I'm not into older exotic cars eaither.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
We drove down the LaF Aperta for the Ferrari 70th event. And the Dawn for commuter duty :)

It wasn't getting driven - beautiful car, beautiful exhaust note, but the competition for garage space was getting fierce. And the LaF Aperta was showing up...

Well that will do it. Fair enough!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@treynor have you ever had a Pagani?

The new Zonda HP Barchetta is ridiculous looking. I imagine they would be impossible even for you to get a hold of as they're only making 3 and Pagani is keeping one.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Went back up to Circuit Mont-Tremblant this past weekend for some racing. Ended up with a personal best at the track on a real flier of a lap:

(also, won my race; Christine took 3rd.)

Nice! That was a very well run lap!

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
IMG_3590.PNG
IMG_3589.PNG
@treynor have you ever had a Pagani?

The new Zonda HP Barchetta is ridiculous looking. I imagine they would be impossible even for you to get a hold of as they're only making 3 and Pagani is keeping one.

I was very fortunate to spend some time up close with this car, number 1 of 3. The level of detail is insane, and supposedly when mr Pagani built this car, the cost was over $10 million.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I'd say a combination of driving experience, novelty, and total cost (cars which appreciate are no-brainers). So the TDF is more my sort of car than the 812 because the driving experience is so on point, and the car's character is sporty but without being impractical as a GT car.

And we have only sold the Aventador recently. We just keep building garages :/

NOoooooooooooooo, not the Aventador! I love the looks of those cars over most of the stuff out nowadays for some reason.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
NOoooooooooooooo, not the Aventador! I love the looks of those cars over most of the stuff out nowadays for some reason.

I know, I know. When I close my eyes and think "Supercar", I picture the Aventador. The problem is, it doesn't drive like it looks.

If they could make a car which looks like the Aventador and drives like the 812, I'd beat a path to their door.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I know, I know. When I close my eyes and think "Supercar", I picture the Aventador. The problem is, it doesn't drive like it looks.

If they could make a car which looks like the Aventador and drives like the 812, I'd beat a path to their door.

Well that is disappointing to hear its performance doesn't match its looks. I've always been a big Lamborghini fan. I've always liked their line up from the Countach up to the Aventador.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Well that is disappointing to hear its performance doesn't match its looks. ...

That's not new news. Lamborghinis have never been known as great driving/performing cars, other than in a straight line. The Huracan is arguably the first Lamborghini to have real driving intentions. All the others have been the Italian equivalent of muscle cars; fast in a straight line, just okay or worse around the bends. That said, I believe Motor Trend does have the Aventador ranked pretty high around one of their test tracks.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
That's not new news. Lamborghinis have never been known as great driving/performing cars, other than in a straight line. The Huracan is arguably the first Lamborghini to have real driving intentions. All the others have been the Italian equivalent of muscle cars; fast in a straight line, just okay or worse around the bends. That said, I believe Motor Trend does have the Aventador ranked pretty high around one of their test tracks.

Well I've always looked at Lamborghini's being beat out by Ferraris in the corner carver department, because of what journalists have said about them over the years. I of course not driven one for myself so I have no idea to what degree the Lamborghinis are at. I just figured the writers meant they weren't up to par with the price tag for them.

Users who are viewing this thread