Uneven front Suspension & Rubbing?

pkells

Established Member
Hey Everyone,

So I bought my 03 vert a few months back & finally have been able to take her out in CT with the few nice days we've had. I've noticed the front end sits uneven. The gap between the tire and fender is almost an inch difference. Driver side sitting much lower, and I get rubbing on that side when I go over uneven roads at high speed or hit any dips.

Car sits on 18's with 275's up front & 295s out back. No issue in the back. Sits a bit higher. On springs & the car has 20k miles

-Max motorsport port caster camber plates
-H&R springs with stock Bilsteins

Any ideas here? Would it make sense to go to coils to solve the issue? Just wondering if any one has dealt with this issue. Its annoying having to be so careful with scraping & rubbing. Thanks!

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
The front strut on that side could have gone bad even though it only has 20k miles it’s still a 15 year old part

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

pkells

Established Member
The front strut on that side could have gone bad even though it only has 20k miles it’s still a 15 year old part

Makes sense, just surprised it would sag with such low miles. Would you recommend replacing all of the Bilstein struts/shocks while at it or go a different route? Car is honestly just a nice weather cruiser that I'll rip around here and there. No track or autocross business.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
That’s really up to you and how you want it to ride I like the adjustability of coil overs Viking makes some great products

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would check spring placement first. They have to sit in the lower control arm a certain way. And also have the alignment checked. Might not be a bad idea to have the front end inspected for anything bent.

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
I just finished putting H&R springs, MM cc plates and MM isos on my vert. I have a 1/2"+ difference side to side in the front. With the weather and power outage I haven't been able to get it aligned. The car has 10k and I didn't notice any seepage on the struts, but maybe one did push back harder than the other. Clocking the springs is very important front and rear. Pull the front wheels and look at the lower tail of the spring. There should be a1/2" space between the end of the spring and the drain hole(there are two holes the spring covers one). If my alignment doesn't fix it I'll pull the struts,after 15 years it makes sense one could be failing.

pkells

Established Member
I just finished putting H&R springs, MM cc plates and MM isos on my vert. I have a 1/2"+ difference side to side in the front. With the weather and power outage I haven't been able to get it aligned. The car has 10k and I didn't notice any seepage on the struts, but maybe one did push back harder than the other. Clocking the springs is very important front and rear. Pull the front wheels and look at the lower tail of the spring. There should be a1/2" space between the end of the spring and the drain hole(there are two holes the spring covers one). If my alignment doesn't fix it I'll pull the struts,after 15 years it makes sense one could be failing.

Im not the savviest mechanic so I'll have to bring her somewhere to have it checked out. NY, you want to make some spare cash to check it out one weekend? Help a local guy out..im in CT and work in Stamford. Lol

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
I'll pass on the cash,working on the Cobra is a hobby and learning experience for me. I live in Yorktown, not to far from Stamford. Pm me your number and we can figure something out when the weather gets better

Users who are viewing this thread