Upgraded my Intercooler lines

bigmoose

Established Member
Update from the future:
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/iat2-observations.1142077/

I already have a killer chiller installed and my H/E bypassed. I was still finding my coolant temps to be warm and not cold after cruising on a hot day. My current setup is IC > TANK > PUMP > KC > IC.

I figured the non-insulated hard lines in the system must be hurting my temps. I searched for hose and came across this:

3/4 Purosil 80 series heater hose. It is insulated and good for -65 to 350*F. I bought a 16' roll. The seller accepted my $20 offer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231153154779?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Here are some pics of the hose installed. Almost matches my pulleys.

IMG_20140908_150524.jpg

IMG_20140908_150548.jpg

I routed the lines out away from the engine. There are two 1" holes underneath the airbox which are right above the IC pump. I was able to fit this hose through those holes. The edges of the holes were very dull so i'm not worried about it cutting the hose.

Now my system is as much 3/4" as possible. some of the stock hard lines neck down to almost 1/2"!

I'm yet to test the difference. If it still needs more i can now easily further insulate with pipe wrap if needed.

6/24/15 Quick update: I don't have any measured exact temperatures but the upgrade made a big difference. As stated, before the temps after a 30 minute drive were cool to warm. Now with the new lines the coolant is cold to ice cold in the tank. This is a big change using the finger measuring tool.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Your routing looks optimal, those holes that the hose is running through will cut through the hose over time. It may take some time but vibrations from the car running will eventually cause it to wear through. The holes/hose need to be coated with something to prevent this. There are a variety of options that i will leave to your imagination.

A step further would be to insulate the lines with pipe insulation available at stores like home depot and insulate the tank.

Good Work :beer:

Last edited:

bigmoose

Established Member
I'll keep an eye on the hoses in those spots. I don't drive it much. If I start to notice wear I'll try wrapping the hose in something. I'm thinking some kapton tape.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
smart! i have thought about eliminating those hard lines. They do neck down really small and get really hot. I might do something similar someday. I have all my lines insulated in rubberized pipe insulation.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Don't know how I missed this original thread. Good idea as mentioned above the restriction is now at the IC manifold and can be corrected with Cobra Engineering's bits. Are the hoses you installed sweating?

bigmoose

Established Member
Don't know how I missed this original thread. Good idea as mentioned above the restriction is now at the IC manifold and can be corrected with Cobra Engineering's bits. Are the hoses you installed sweating?
Not sure actually. I didn't put many miles on the car since this mod before I put it away for the winter. I'll keep an eye on it when it comes out in a few months.

I've seen the cobra engineering kit. Kind of expensive for not knowing how much it helps. Is the inlet the restriction or the core itself?

SVTDice

Established Member
The restriction is in both, Take a look at what the Lightening guys did. However the Cobra Engineering kit looks like it WILL help with that restriction. Removing any restriction in any way shape or form will have cooling benefits.

Tractionless1

Established Member
The restriction is in both, Take a look at what the Lightening guys did. However the Cobra Engineering kit looks like it WILL help with that restriction. Removing any restriction in any way shape or form will have cooling benefits.

Any links to the Lightening work? I'm never in their forum.

Tractionless1

Established Member

bigmoose

Established Member
Quick update: I don't have any measured exact temperatures but the upgrade made a big difference. As stated, before the temps after a 30 minute drive were cool to warm. Now with the new lines the coolant is cold to ice cold in the tank. This is a big change using the finger measuring tool.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Quick update: I don't have any measured exact temperatures but the upgrade made a big difference. As stated, before the temps after a 30 minute drive were cool to warm. Now with the new lines the coolant is cold to ice cold in the tank. This is a big change using the finger measuring tool.

Hey Moose, did you ever get iat2 temps and see what you’re running?

Users who are viewing this thread