Upgrading the Steering Rack

BigTerminator

Established Member
Hello Everyone,

My 98 cobra, as with many, has crappy steering with a fair bit of play in the middle and not much connection to the road. I don't think my steering shaft is the cause of the play but I will get an MM steering shaft anyway. As for the rack, is the re-manufactured Terminator rack from A1 Cardone, the 22-2000 to be exact, the best way to go, especially for the value? The car already has MM steering rack bushings and a whole host of suspension mods. The car handles very well but steering input leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks,
BigT

jgt58

Established Member
Even some reman racks from them do not use the 03 cobra innards. So be careful about that

1996 mustang cobra... many mods...

BigTerminator

Established Member

That is the thread that peaked my interest in the rack. I am just looking for a good steering rack, Terminator or not. For $200 I do not see a competitor. Even with the more expensive AGR racks I see way too many negative reviews. Flaming River charges $800+ so it seems like this is the only option. Please let me know of any other options out there. I mainly want to get rid of the play that plagues my current setup.

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
I had the same play in my steering that you are experiencing. I changed out my steering shaft for the MM, put in fresh steering rack bushings (still have the stock rack on the car), and put in new tie rod ends, and that solved the problem.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
That is the thread that peaked my interest in the rack. I am just looking for a good steering rack, Terminator or not. For $200 I do not see a competitor. Even with the more expensive AGR racks I see way too many negative reviews. Flaming River charges $800+ so it seems like this is the only option. Please let me know of any other options out there. I mainly want to get rid of the play that plagues my current setup.

Which rack bushings did you go with from MM? I just did the solid rack bushings a couple of weeks ago and although minimal, I am pleased with the results. Primarily the car seems to track less on inconsistent pavement going down the road.

I say go for it. For $200 a fresh rack coupled with an MM steering shaft should make a night and day difference. Let us know what you do.

bumsoil

Established Member
I'm on terminator rack (22-2000) number 3 from A1.
Don't buy anything made by A1 Cardone, its trash.

first rack felt perfect, exactly 0 play and i was so happy, until it started making horrible cracking/popping noises about 3 weeks in.

rack 2 was so lose it was legit dangerous, probably ~20 degrees of play if not more.

rack 3 has always had play just like the 160k mile rack i replaced originally. But it worked and i was fed up.

Now rack #3 is making the same noises at rack #1, I'm going to get a ford rack this summer.......

i called A1 after this fiasco and they would not help me because i was installing this on the wrong year of car so my warranty was void.

F*** A1 Cardone......

BigTerminator

Established Member
It seems pretty pathetic that there are no sure fire options for the SN95 in terms of power steering. It seems like every option is a big gamble. Let me know what happens with the Ford rack. $450 is a bit of money but I don't mind paying that if I am guaranteed tight steering.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm on terminator rack (22-2000) number 3 from A1.
Don't buy anything made by A1 Cardone, its trash.

first rack felt perfect, exactly 0 play and i was so happy, until it started making horrible cracking/popping noises about 3 weeks in.

rack 2 was so lose it was legit dangerous, probably ~20 degrees of play if not more.

rack 3 has always had play just like the 160k mile rack i replaced originally. But it worked and i was fed up.

Now rack #3 is making the same noises at rack #1, I'm going to get a ford rack this summer.......

i called A1 after this fiasco and they would not help me because i was installing this on the wrong year of car so my warranty was void.

F*** A1 Cardone......
I second this! I have a second crap power steering pump on my truck from A1 Crapdone, both junk from the start, but its what the mechanic put in so he can keep replacing them at his expense. I bought the AGR rack and ordered by the part#. car isnt finished yet so I dont know how it drives. replace all the consumable items first, tie-rod ends, bushings, and yes on the MM sterring shaft, It worked wonders on mine

Users who are viewing this thread