Upper and Lower Control Arm Help

Scud2

Established Member
So I have a 2001 Mustang GT. It has a Vortech Supercharger and puts a little over 400 to the wheels. Obviously I spin and have the wheel hop a lot. So I bought a new set of BBK upper and lower control arms. As I read more and more, I question whether or not to put the upper control arms on. It's mostly a daily driver. Sometimes I get on it pretty good and maybe someday I will get to the track maybe not. What would be best to do? Do I put both uppers and lowers on or do I just do the lowers for more of a comfort ride as a daily driver? Any help is welcome. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
if the bushings in the uppers are worn, than replace. I still have the stock uppers but that will soon go away when I get the MM torque arm

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I've got the BBK uppers and lowers, no complaints on day to day driving. I would say do em while you're there. Oh just a heads up.. Plan on using new hardware, I don't know if new sets come with hardware or not as I got my set 2nd hand, but I had trouble keeping the control arm bolts tight. Had to replace the nyloc nuts and new bolts for good measure.

Scud2

Established Member
Not a bad idea with the new lock nuts. I'm going to be on the garage floor. How hard are uppers to reach?

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Not bad, little bit awkward. I did them on the floor too. Only issue I seem to remember was the axle wants to twist forward, doing them one at a time should help.

Sluggie24

Established Member
I will second making sure you have new bolts for the arms. When I did the lower arms in my 04 last fall the rear bolts were rotted in the bushing sleaves. I had to cut them to get the stock arms off.

StalkerStang

Established Member
IMO, ditch those BBK parts......

Invest in good lowers, and replace the bushings in the upper arms with stock rubber ones.

The uppers allow for some articulation of the rear end, and putting poly upper bushings will limit that a bit. The factory 4 link is not the best set-up, but then again it was meant for a vehicle made in the late 70's and early 80's.

Scud2

Established Member
I say ditch those. You will rape those bushings. Get the extreme duty lowers from maximum motorsports.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
That's what I was scared of. With over 400 it's tough! That's why I came here before I asked. Another question for suspension experts...I replaced my front springs with coilovers. Took off Ford c springs rated at like 500 lbs or so. My coilovers are like 225. Will that be ok. I love the look!

StalkerStang

Established Member
That rate might be ok. I would consult with someone like Maximum Motorsports, I believe they even have like a cheat sheet of sorts that gives rough suggestions of coil over rates vs usage on their site.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I say ditch those. You will rape those bushings. Get the extreme duty lowers from maximum motorsports.

Care to elaborate on how he's going to rape the bushings ? I've been running new factory bushings on my BBK uppers when I installed them. About 17,000 miles on them I guarantee you I can go under there and find no issues with any of the bushings. Rear feels as tight as it did the day I put everything in.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I could see the poly bushings taking a bit of a beating with the entire rear suspension binding up and the forces going to the bushings. I'd be more worried about the torque boxes though..... I've personally destroyed 3 of the 4 boxes on my 90 LX when it had tubular uppers and lowers w/ poly bushings. Shit, that was only with it running mid 12's on a n/a 302....

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Isn't that the reason to go Poly though? They can handle more punishment and with with less deflection? Only issue is they channel in a little more nvh.

I could see what you're saying about the Torque Boxes, but that was most likely from smashing at the drag strip no ?

StalkerStang

Established Member
Having solid or stiff poly bushings can be good in certain areas, but not in others. The main issue is the fox based 4 link design has a crap-shoot way of locating the axle side to side. It uses the upper control arms instead of a Panhard bar or watts link to do that. When you throw solid or stiff bushings in the upper arms, the suspension binds and there is little to no articulation.

Maximum explains it far better than I can.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_rear_susp_panhard.aspx

Scud2

Established Member
Thanks for all the info. Based on what research I did and how I drive and lack of track use I chose to install both upper and lower BBK. I already had them in hand and figured I got such a good deal that if something comes up later on that I can always change. But I'm confident it will be great for my use! If I pushed my car the maximum motorsports would most likely be my choice. When I get my 03 04 cobra...lol

StrayBullitt

Established Member

jaxbusa

Established Member
Care to elaborate on how he's going to rape the bushings ? I've been running new factory bushings on my BBK uppers when I installed them. About 17,000 miles on them I guarantee you I can go under there and find no issues with any of the bushings. Rear feels as tight as it did the day I put everything in.

I sure can. I am specifically talking about lowers. When I bought my car the previous owner already put some aftermarket upper and lower control arms with poly bushings on it. They were probably only 3 or so years old. I took the car to the drag strip and had a ridiculous amount of wheel hop. I kept thinking the traction control was on. Several months later I put a suspension package on and replaced the lowers. Every bushing on the aftermarket ones were split completely. They looked like the letter "c". They were starting to egg shape the bolt holes in the control boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread