UPR K Member and Coil-overs with wheel spacers??

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
The question: Are wheel spacers in order to get wheel clearance on front coil-overs common or correct?

I recently installed the UPR member and coil-over system. The kit installed fairly straight forward. After installation I checked clearances and found that the passenger side wheel was contacting the spring. The driver side had plenty of clearance. Even after adjusting everything I could not get the clearance in the passenger side. I believe I have installed everything correctly and adjusted all components. My expectation for a kit that was made to fit our cars is that it should actually fit. The only response I received from UPR was to add a 1/8" wheel spacer. Not bashing UPR since they really have been helpful through this installation and others in the past. But to me adding a spacer to make this kit work is a cheap way out. If spacers were needed it should be included in the kit or directions. But I digress... UPR may be dead on with the spacer need. I just wanted to get some feedback from other peoples experiences. I do have MM CC plates in the correct orientation and factory front wheels.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
My afs 18x9 with a 275 michelin tire fit the upr coilovers just fine. I switched to sve series 1 wheels a couple yrs back with same tire. These wheels had a different offset and caused a rub and i had to run a 1/4" spacer. If you elongate the top hole in the strut you can swing strut in for some more clearance. I had to do this when i switched to bfg rival tires as the are wider than the michelin. Doing this will require another alignment though.

04dreamcobra

Established Member
Any mods at this point will be no problem. Haven't went for the alignment yet. Just got everything pretty close for the test drive. I can try the elongation. I would prefer to avoid spacers if possible. Honestly it just doesn't make sense to me that the driver side fits so well but the passenger side contacts that much...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm running the MM set up and I didn't need a spacer. I think someone else on here had the same issue, but with another company. The wheel and tire combo must be the big difference.

04dreamcobra

Established Member
Maybe. The tire contacting would be one thing. But it is close enough that the inside lip of the wheel is hitting. That's what concerns me. I'm using factory 17's with Nitto 555's.

Users who are viewing this thread