Used 2016 GT500's for cheap?

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I’m not trying to be a downer, but the rep of the GT350 has been getting trashed pretty hard on some forums other than here. Previous owners complaining of all sorts of quality issues. One guy claims he lemon-lawed two different cars.
It’s possible these cars are some of those cars with issues.

raiderjatt02

Established Member
All cars have issues, there are a few Z06s that have been deemed lemons too. The thing you have to remember is that there is a MUCH higher chance that an owner will vent online if they have issues with their cars. The vast majority of owners are issue free. I will say that the high oil consumption seems to be fairly common but even that isn't affecting everyone. There are nearly 20k GT350s out there, how many have you heard about with major issues?

Obviously it's mostly speculation by all of us until we get actual numbers (which will probably never happen). My car has had 9 track days, 5 autocross events, and 10k miles. The only problems I've had are a bad thermostat within my first 1000 miles. I don't even have oil consumption problems.

Yeah, 10k miles isn't' much, but I've met much more people without problems, than I've read about people with major problems.

Osiris

Established Member
Worry free here too, and my car is one of the first 35 2016s...The only time it was in for service other than oil changes was for the oil cooler line recall. I think Dodge had the same issue. It was supplier related...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IamRacerX

Established Member
All cars have issues, there are a few Z06s that have been deemed lemons too. The thing you have to remember is that there is a MUCH higher chance that an owner will vent online if they have issues with their cars. The vast majority of owners are issue free. I will say that the high oil consumption seems to be fairly common but even that isn't affecting everyone. There are nearly 20k GT350s out there, how many have you heard about with major issues?

Obviously it's mostly speculation by all of us until we get actual numbers (which will probably never happen). My car has had 9 track days, 5 autocross events, and 10k miles. The only problems I've had are a bad thermostat within my first 1000 miles. I don't even have oil consumption problems.

Yeah, 10k miles isn't' much, but I've met much more people without problems, than I've read about people with major problems.

No question, the ones with issues will be way louder than those without.
I had a 2006 Z06 I bought new, I had quite a few issues in the first year and a half and almost lemon-lawed it... but GM gave me an extended warranty so I kept it as I loved the car. It was honestly trouble free there after... kept it 6 years.....
So you never know.

IamRacerX

Established Member
To OP... I wouldn’t even consider a car with a replacement motor. Dealers can screw all kinds of things up doin a swap.. I’ve seen it

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Avoid '15/'16 Tech Pack or Base cars. Adding "toggles" to a '15/'16 Track Pack car is as simple as buying the factory parts and installing them. No wires need to be cut and everything fits in place, as factory. I've shown the entire install here in this forum.

Beyond the above, Ford has had some teething problems with GT350's. Leaking oil cooler hoses led to an oil line recall. Oil filters becoming "loose" had Ford sending out filter wrenches to pre-January '17 build owners. Rear axle CV joint boot failures are not uncommon either. Beyond the above, minor issues that are no different today than when the first GT350 rolled out.

Osiris

Established Member
So over the tech thing....no reason to avoid one..if you never track it, you'll never know the difference between the two (other than the increase in comforts inside the car).

If you want to track it the needed parts can be added for less than the cost of a '17 vs a '16.

I have absolutely zero issues driving it hard on the street or autocrossing.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
There is a reason for the avoidance.

Perception.

Look, many here wouldn't have any qualms about addressing a mere cooling issue (or the potential for one depending on how hard the car gets pushed) but the issue is with respect to purchasing a GT350 at a good price that doesn't or won't have an issue. Come resale, you don't want to have a potential buyer backing out because they went home and further researched Tech Pack cars only to see incessant rambling on the web about the "issue." Hence my advice to skirt the concern altogether at buying time and thus not have to deal with any fallout come time to sell.

Osiris

Established Member
If anyone wants a car like this it'll generally be because they want this particular car. That means they would have done the research. If I were selling my car I would have zero issue discussing it either. If you want coolers, get a 17+, buy a track pack or install them.

I'll offer another counterpoint....How many people advertise their car as "never driven hard, never tracked, etc.? You are forgetting the buyer who doesn't want a beat on car or who just wants to own the car for what it is. Again, no difference in performance unless you're driving it near it's limits for an extended period of time.

Btw...'15s have the lowest build #, regardless of the coolers, they'll always retain higher value, especially the Rs. That's why most of them are put away right now.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If anyone wants a car like this it'll generally be because they want this particular car. That means they would have done the research. ...

It doesn't mean that at all. You must've missed all the posts from so-called owners complaining about "no torque" and that they had to rev the car out to get the most out of it. Clearly, they did no research before buying. Otherwise, they would've known that going in and wouldn't have been complaining about it after the fact.

Shhhh

Established Member
Thanks for all the information and perspectives. I have a few cars I'm going to be checking out come May.

Osiris

Established Member
It doesn't mean that at all. You must've missed all the posts from so-called owners complaining about "no torque" and that they had to rev the car out to get the most out of it. Clearly, they did no research before buying. Otherwise, they would've known that going in and wouldn't have been complaining about it after the fact.
Lol!

And on that note, too afraid to drive the car at the limit it is capable of enough to even worry about what the coolers do for it....

No one has gone into LM by drag or roll racing

GT350Stevie

Established Member
Lol!

And on that note, too afraid to drive the car at the limit it is capable of enough to even worry about what the coolers do for it....

No one has gone into LM by drag or roll racing

Ok, guys. Here's my two cents. I'm on my second GT350. I just traded in my 16 Avalance Grey Tech pack car that I bought in 16 trading in a 07 GT 500 for it. I loved how the car drove over my 500, However I was one of those people to my disappointment, who only found out about the coolers after purchase... So I Traded it in for a New 17 Convenience Pack in Avalance grey. I could have gone a differnent root, but these cars are awsome to drive, no regreats. Now I'm waiting how long it will take for the wife to notice...
20180402_124328.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Established Member
haha good one

I traded a 16 tech for a R, and if I did not track the car frequently in faster run groups, I'd happily own a tech pack... the comparison seems limited to MY 16 since 15's will cost more in general and 17's all have coolers. Since 16 track pack cars don't have navi, I'd be disappointed with a 16 in general, no navi or no cooler... tough spot for me as I made the choice once already and I'd say 16's in general will be hit in resale compared to 17's or 15's, maybe the tech car a little more, but the 17's don't have these limitations and force choice.

Importantly, a low mileage used 16 GT350 seems to hover around 50k and at that price point, I think they are very competitive vehicles. If you know you will track the heck out of it, get a track pack, if you drive it daily and only track it once a year or so, tech pack is fine and may be preferable, the seats are really comfortable and navi is nice, and these cars drive better than any other 50k vehicle I know of...

GT350Stevie

Established Member
haha good one

I traded a 16 tech for a R, and if I did not track the car frequently in faster run groups, I'd happily own a tech pack... the comparison seems limited to MY 16 since 15's will cost more in general and 17's all have coolers. Since 16 track pack cars don't have navi, I'd be disappointed with a 16 in general, no navi or no cooler... tough spot for me as I made the choice once already and I'd say 16's in general will be hit in resale compared to 17's or 15's, maybe the tech car a little more, but the 17's don't have these limitations and force choice.

Importantly, a low mileage used 16 GT350 seems to hover around 50k and at that price point, I think they are very competitive vehicles. If you know you will track the heck out of it, get a track pack, if you drive it daily and only track it once a year or so, tech pack is fine and may be preferable, the seats are really comfortable and navi is nice, and these cars drive better than any other 50k vehicle I know of...
I totally agree. If your not interested in having the track capability, there's nothing wrong with a tech pack car. The street experience is the same as a track pack car or even an R for that matter. Maybe even better with comfortable cool seats and a nice stereo.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread