VEPR is now banned from import.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Well, as a gun enthusiast I had a feeling this day may come...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/06/20/breaking-us-banned-vepr-due-sanctions-looks-like/

Molot-Oruzhie filed for bankruptcy. This is a move that was widely considered by many to mean one thing: a sale of Molot to none other than Kalashnikov Concern. With Kalashnikov Concern firmly cemented on the sanctions list regarding the conflict in Ukraine, it is only natural to see that a new business venture in buying Molot would lead to their inclusion. There is a SMALL chance that an entity not affiliated with groups cited under the sanction umbrella could buy Molot, but that seems like a very long shot.

To be clear: This is not a possession ban, nor is it a modification to 922R. It just means that whatever units are in the country now, waiting on a dock to be delivered to a distributor or already floating its way over is all we will get for now.

As someone who was definitely eyeing a VEPR 12 as a future purchase, it definitely made me move my timetable up to now. I have a VEPR in 7.62x39 and consider it one of the finest rifles I own. A VEPR 12 is certainly up there in a top 5 shotguns of all time list.

If you have been on the fence, act now. This is going to go down exactly like the Saiga ban. Prices will only go up... if you can find them at all.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
It seems that making an AK thats up to the quality level of Russian produced AKs is no picnic. They are extremely simple, yet robust designs that require extremely precise metallurgy. The tolerances in the rifle are looser than US or Euro weapons, but the forged steel in an AK must be perfect for it to function up to Soviet AK standards.

Kalashnikov is setting up a US company called Kalashnikov USA to produce AKs here to get them around the import ban. No word yet on if they are setting up a foundry here to produce their forged parts or will contract them out and simply assemble.

VEPR being banned is devastating to US Kalishnikov pattern buyers. Literally built from the same labor, parts and tooling as genuine Red Army milspec RPK light machine guns, they are considered the Cadillac of Russian guns. Arsenal of Bulgaria makes very good AK pattern rifles, but there is just something special about having the genuine Russian product.

I hope this worldwide silliness will end someday and we can import the two things Russia KNOWS how to make well: Kalashnikovs and VEPRs. :D

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
I got my VEPR-12 for $699 awhile back. Eventually I want to send it to evlutionz to make it into an SBS, but momma wants a boat first.

IMG_20160326_213642-4.jpg

Famine

Established Member
It seems that making an AK thats up to the quality level of Russian produced AKs is no picnic. They are extremely simple, yet robust designs that require extremely precise metallurgy. The tolerances in the rifle are looser than US or Euro weapons, but the forged steel in an AK must be perfect for it to function up to Soviet AK standards.

Kalashnikov is setting up a US company called Kalashnikov USA to produce AKs here to get them around the import ban. No word yet on if they are setting up a foundry here to produce their forged parts or will contract them out and simply assemble.

VEPR being banned is devastating to US Kalishnikov pattern buyers. Literally built from the same labor, parts and tooling as genuine Red Army milspec RPK light machine guns, they are considered the Cadillac of Russian guns. Arsenal of Bulgaria makes very good AK pattern rifles, but there is just something special about having the genuine Russian product.

I hope this worldwide silliness will end someday and we can import the two things Russia KNOWS how to make well: Kalashnikovs and VEPRs. :D

Centurion 39 has my vote.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Just as long as its not a RAS or anything made by IO... ugggh

The C39 i believe was a milled reciever, but a lot of Century builds use cast parts and trunnions. Cast parts arent even in the same ballpark for quality.

What makes Saigas and VEPRS so special is they are genuine Kalashnikovs, and with a little more machine work, be fit for full auto duty with ComBlock military units.

Its similar to being able to buy an M16A4 or BAR or M27 manufactured with out full auto parts.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
So where do you get a good one? I don't know really anything about them. PSA seems to be doing a matching numbers ar and ak for $900 for another week or so. I've been considering looking into it a little further but those VEPR 12's are very interesting.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So where do you get a good one? I don't know really anything about them. PSA seems to be doing a matching numbers ar and ak for $900 for another week or so. I've been considering looking into it a little further but those VEPR 12's are very interesting.

Mac from military arms channel has a great review on the VEPR 12

The mossberg 930 and the Remington varient are great shotguns! I prefer to have my semi auto shotguns load from a detachable magazine.

Last edited:

CV355

_
Established Member
Laser cut patterns for AK receivers are quite easy to come by...

A parts kit is all you'd need at that point.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
All you need after the parts kit and receiver is time, experience, special press tools, patience, luck.

In all seriousness, building a properly functioning AK is not for the faint of heart. So when quality sources of AKs are taken away it really will effect the entire gun community

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Mac from military arms channel has a great review on the VEPR 12

The mossberg 930 and the Remington varient are great shotguns! I prefer to have my semi auto shotguns load from a detachable magazine.
That thing is pretty sweet. Not sure how much I want to pay for one though.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ironwood makes awesome stocks for it too that are sized and slant cut perfectly. I have a beechwood Warsaw length AKM style stock for my Vepr 7.62x39. Hard as a rock, fits perfect and great woodgrain.

Users who are viewing this thread