Vmp upgrade

Chris0304

Established Member
Sucks to hear about the problems. I was really contemplating on tryn to get that car but it was so far away and not really good timing. End of the day you still have a Beautiful Low mileage SB. :)
Good luck w it!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SADDLE

Rock Chalk
Established Member
I feel obliged to chime in. I apologize, I have not visited this site much since I sold Nathan the car. I am going to defend myself, and the car, and the way I advertised it.

Not that this makes any difference, but I took a deposit ($500) from Nathan, gave him 45 days to secure funds, and took the car off the market. Then I get a call from him that a random person is going to be picking up the car with their enclosed trailer and paying me in cash, this all worked out just fine, but on the surface it was a very odd transaction.

Two blown shock absorbers
Broken piaa light lense
Halogen license plate lights not led as stated
Eaton blower bearing failure confirmed by 3 shops
170* tstat is magically a oem tstat

-The tstat is a 170* reische tstat. If Bob Kurgan didn't program the fans correctly then that's on BOB KURGAN. He tuned the car in person on a Dyno in Ankeny, IA.
-I had zero issues with drivability or tuning the car with the alleged "broken eaton". Again this car was tuned by Bob Kurgan in person, with the same blower on the car and not one person made any mention about the "noise" or "failure". I never once had an issue with the motor or the ability to tune it or the performance of the car.
-Yes, the car has "LED" or blue tinted license plate bulbs.
-The PIAA lense I will admit that I could have overlooked. OP stated previously that he would be replacing the fog lights so it was not a big deal to me as he was adamant for his dislike of them
-Blown shock absorbers are news to me. It could be true, I don't see how it's possible for a car with 8k miles to have bad shock absorbers

If you look at that list there is not one mention to the overall condition of the paint, engine bay, interior, undercarriage, etc of the car. It was spot on as advertised and a "Mint" condition car when it comes to the paint, body, etc.

I'm not stirring up trouble, I'm just merely defending myself as I have spent many years on this forum and created relationships with the local members.

After Nathan notified me of his displeasure with my "representation" of the car I offered to buy the car back for the price he paid, less shipping fees. he declined. End of story.

Enjoy the car Nathan, and good luck with it.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Many factors are involved when selling a 14 year old car. A blown shock is noticeable. Then again, how do you not know the alignment is out of whack?

I believe Saddle to a degree and respect that he came forth. Either way, when you list a car as completely mint, mechanically sound and even post updates over the course of the 6 months you had it for sale before a buyer came along of you driving it and not finding anything wrong but the buyer does immediately after, there is a problem.

Either way, the new buyer is over it and accepts it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
I believe Saddle to a degree and respect that he came forth. Either way, when you list a car as completely mint, mechanically sound and even post updates over the course of the 6 months you had it for sale before a buyer came along of you driving it and not finding anything wrong but the buyer does immediately after, there is a problem.

Either way, the new buyer is over it and accepts it.

I agree. It does seem odd to me that the buyer would make things up about car having issues. He didn't even mention who he bought the car from or any issues with it until we began to ask about the car. Its not like he posted a thread to put the seller on blast. I guess he could be having buyers remorse.

Any ways I hope the new owner is happy with the TVS power.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
He offered to buy it back, hey, if I was that dissatisfied I'd sell it back.
Seems like he's not. Go find another like it today. Not too easy.

LordVader04

Established Member
I've known Drew for a few years, he is one of the most legit guys on this forum period, if the car had "any issues" believe me Drew would have made the buyer aware of them I assure you.

Last edited:

SonicBlur2003

U.S.C.G.
Established Member
Someone will always find an issue with a used car when making a purchase. I bought my CO with 7,600 miles. I bought it site unseen from Kentucky and I'm in New Hampshire. When I received the car unfortunately it was not up to my standards.

That being said all of us that buy these cars don't always have the opportunity to go and look at them. We try to take each others words for what they are and then
go forward.

Yes we hope that they are amazing 10/10 cars but that does not happen. As well as a majority of us change 95% of the car after we get it anyways.

The car looked great in the for sale ad and I'm sure once you make your own touches and changes you will love it even more OP. Congrats and can't wait for Dyno numbers.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I understand what you guys are saying.

However, when you list something as mechanically sound, mint well maintained, etc. and then it's not, there's something off.

I always inspect my cars for sale. If there's a thump or a screeching noise, scratch, chip, dent, or any other defect, it's listed in the FS AD. The absolutely LAST thing I want is for the buyer to come back listing problems with the car. I've sold 5 Mustangs and a number of other cars and have never once had someone come back saying "this wasn't there when you listed it for sale" or something.

Saddle - Hypothetical - If you knew the car had these issues, realistically, what would you have priced the car at? Knowing there were problems and you were going to request the buyer to take care of the repairs. Again, hypothetical.

Blown shock is noticeable. Not easy to miss. Alignment is very hard to miss, especially if the steering wheel tilts to one side in order for the vehicle to go straight. Alignment alone is a good $150 for a stock car, some places may charge upwards of $200. Blown shock, another $100-$150 for the part plus labor if you don't do it yourself. If the blower is bad, that's easily $500-$800 depending on miles, condition, etc.

The other things are fairly minor, but, those would be my concerns too.

Again, Saddle did the right thing by coming forth, not faulting him there. I'm just curious how things like I listed above are missed. I'm obsessively anal to a point of being an extremist when it comes to anything I own and I notice even the most petty little things. Not everyone does, but, again, these are VERY hard to miss.

svtcobraNate

Established Member
As stated why would I make it up. I wasnt pointing fingers. But again and again the seller wants to turn the tables on me.
I have 100 miles on the car right now.
I will be putting the car on the alignment rack at our local ford dealership that a good friend of mine works at. I the seller wants or feels like he needs to get involved then i can post the pre alighment specs when I do them.
The front tires are worn on the edges and perfect in center so its plainly obvious.
As for the blower honestly I dont mind sending it to steg, or jason teixeira who are both reputable on blower rebuilds and they can take pictures and explain professional opinions on the blower.
Both steg and jason were blatently clear not to run the car with that blower making the noise it was.
As for the tstat its funny but when I asked I couldnt get a straight answer. Car runs right around 200* on a 170* tstat in 30* ambient temps and im not going to believe the mod list considering the belt said 74.5 " but its actually a 75 1/8. Yeah i made the mistake of ordering the belt assuming the spec sheet was correct.
As for the shocks. Its clear as the fluid is weeping out of the boots
If we really want to get technical I can post the video of the statement that the paint was perfect not to mention drew you have said it again right in your post yet the hood had a chip that was filled and the passenger side scoop has been chip repaired. Paint wasnt perfect as advertised.
The R that reads cobra on the rear bumper was also coming off.
I mean there are much more wrong than what I have mentioned previously. So I dont understand why it needs to be a big deal it jusst make me mad remembering how much money I have been spending on this car. Last thing I was going to do is not only buy a car that wasnt as advertised but then get a refund but loose out on shipping.
As I stated im over the shit accept you made a mistake and accept that if asked im not going to lie why im replacing
-shocks
-blower
-fog lights
-tires
-alignment
-vinyl stickers
All on a 8000 mile car.
The car is still great and it still has low miles and im fully capable to bring the glory back to this car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Last thing I was going to do is not only buy a car that wasnt as advertised but then get a refund but loose out on shipping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using the svtperformance.com mobile app
How much was Shipping? I've never shipped a car but I've heard it can be 1-2k depending upon distance, thats a heck of a kick in the nuts to lose.

mattmynhier

Established Member
Damn sorry to hear about this bro. I tried to buy this car but you had put a down payment on it. I would have went through the roof as I'm obsessive about every little detail. Either way, it's like buying a house or anything used. You are gonna be redoing someone else's work to get it the way you want it.
Still a dope looking SB!

mattmynhier

Established Member
A little word of advice to everyone about shipping. If you have a buddy that works at a dealership they can get killer deals on shipping. I paid 600 bucks to have my torch red shipped from Texas to Tennessee on an enclosed trailer. Made the deal Monday morning, wired the cash that afternoon, and had the car in my driveway on Wednesday night.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That is a good price. I just shipped a Z06 vette yesterday from Kansas City to Washington state and it was $1400. That was in an enclosed trailer. Cheapest price we found.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
IMO, the blower is probably the only legitimate complaint. Nice car, enjoy it!

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I wasn't going to reply since it's been a while but just a couple weeks. It came up when I was searching for VMP stuff but this sort of reminds me of my purchase lol so I have to share. Guy told me the car was in mint condition and went on and on about how well kept it was. Said he has two "basically brand new" tires and the fronts still have a good amount of life left and would also come with a good car cover and it's recently been detailed. I'm thinking damn this sounds great! Drove the 4 hours to go get it and the first thing I noticed when he's pulling up (besides the stingers:) ) is it looked like it had sat in a dusty barn for 6 months then been sprayed off at the car wash and let dry. No big deal but that caught my attention. Then he opens the door and the seat belt was so loose it just fell out and there was ice cream wrappers and all kinds of trash in the floor board! I'm thinking oh boy I may be turning right around and going home. I looked it over and I guess he did pay someone to detail the engine bay b/c it was spotless. He started it, told me there were no issues w it and said he wouldn't let me drive it but would take me for a ride. Seemed good to me so I took a chance and bought it.

When I got it home and started looking over it, the seatbelts were covered in the ice cream that the wrappers on the floor were from, seats had small stains in them from what looked like coffee or soda, there were several "capri sun" empties under the seat, the "almost new" tires were dry rotted, the good car cover was a $35.00 wal-mart job that scratched the clear coat, and the worst thing was it was out of alignment which not only killed the front tires but the heat exchanger was barely hanging on and all bent up! He'd hit something with it knocking that and the alignment out of whack.

I don't think the seller tried to dupe me at all, I just think his idea of what a mint car is and mine are two different things. Now that I've replaced the seat belts, spent hours detailing the insides, hours buffing the paint, fixed a small cig burn in the rear seat, upgraded the heat exchanger and replaced all 4 tires, I would call it a "near" mint Cobra. All in all, I'm happy but you can see where there can be differences in opinion on these things.

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
LMFAO Choate. Had a similar story, bought a 03 cobra about a month ago and said it was 10/10. Thing leaks oil like a SOB and has all kinds of other minor issues but screw it, got it for a killer price and it's on good hands now. Been fixing stuff here and there on it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread