Want to order 2012, but terrified of MT-82 problems

Swoope

Established Member
I'm in a lemon law case now. We have 2 powertrain guys over at AFM who are questioning whether this might be an alignment issue as the extreme cases like mine have trashed pilot bearings. Maybe an issue with the tranny case/bell housing or the motor side? I guess we'll all find out soon!

interesting as i have mentioned the alignment possibility more than once in your thread, might have been removed by you or your buddies.

as it is an even playing field here. dont think you or one of your buddies can delete or edit my post here? i do have a question for you.

what is the total # of transmissions like yours, failed completely that you know about? honest have pm or know of personally?

last i read you had 42 nthsb reports filed, but i mean real failed transmissions not drivable like yours.

looking for a honest answer. not some political look and the people that posted in my thread answer.

beers

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
I'm just trying not to make a huge mistake. Although it seems like all the cars I'm interested in have something wrong with them, e.g. the rear end of CTS-Vs.

Funny you say that.....because the company who makes the differential in the cts-v, also happens to make the trans in the new 5.0(getrag). ANd both are exaggerated problems.

wbt

Banned
That is your opinion and the mounting data suggests otherwise.

Even Ford Customer Care has posted engineers are aware of a problem with the MT82.

I'm in a lemon law case now. We have 2 powertrain guys over at AFM who are questioning whether this might be an alignment issue as the extreme cases like mine have trashed pilot bearings. Maybe an issue with the tranny case/bell housing or the motor side? I guess we'll all find out soon!

I've also got that strange "sputtering" until it's warmed up... drive away and it acts like it's running on 5 cylinders or something. Ugh

...and you continue to do a global Google search on MT-82 issues and make a point to post in EVERY thread you can find regardless of what message board you come across:

[ame=http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3605904#post3605904]FEDS INVESTIGATING MUSTANG TRANSMISSION ISSUES - Page 5 - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com[/ame]

....what a shame that you own a Mustang. Can't wait for you to move on to your next train wreck as that seems to be your trend. :kaboom:

Last edited:

Swoope

Established Member
...and you continue to do a global Google search on MT-82 issues and make a point to post in EVERY thread you can find regardless of what message board you come across:

FEDS INVESTIGATING MUSTANG TRANSMISSION ISSUES - Page 5 - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

....what a shame that you own a Mustang. Can't wait for you to move on to your next train wreck as that seems to be your trend. :kaboom:

have been following his tranny thread from about page 10, think it is on almost 400 now. about six weeks ago class action was semi confirmed then all the posts about it vanished.

and he cannot provide a car for his tv report as he is lemoning it. seems a bit odd.

beers

anthb314

Established Member
Well I think I am going with a used G8 GT. I know, auto tranny, but the 4 doors is very practical and suits me better. Maybe my next car will be a 2014 stang with direct injection, who knows.

jmatero

Established Member
interesting as i have mentioned the alignment possibility more than once in your thread, might have been removed by you or your buddies.

as it is an even playing field here. dont think you or one of your buddies can delete or edit my post here? i do have a question for you.

what is the total # of transmissions like yours, failed completely that you know about? honest have pm or know of personally?

last i read you had 42 nthsb reports filed, but i mean real failed transmissions not drivable like yours.

looking for a honest answer. not some political look and the people that posted in my thread answer.

beers

Your posts were deleted by the mods there because you were trolling in a thread for Mustang Owners experiencing transmission problems. You don't even OWN a Mustang... and the mods gave you fair warning to cut it out. Looks like you found a new place to troll.

Ford is going to supply that data to the NHTSA. Based on the transmission issues poll you started at AFM (only a snapshot, I know) it's close to 10% reporting Major Issues and 50/50 between "no problems" and "not fixed"

Reports to the NHTSA have exploded since the investigation started this week as most owners don't visit threads like these.

Last edited:

FWP!

Established Member
For what it's worth, I have an early built 2011 (May 2010) and the entire drive train has been nearly flawless. Only thing I've done is had the dealership swap in the correct fluid which made shifting effort a lot easier.

jmatero

Established Member
have been following his tranny thread from about page 10, think it is on almost 400 now. about six weeks ago class action was semi confirmed then all the posts about it vanished.

and he cannot provide a car for his tv report as he is lemoning it. seems a bit odd.

beers

Looks like you've moved to this website to troll and spread false info. Beware as the moderators here banned some lifetime members a couple days ago for behaving like you are now.

There is no class action I'm aware of because they take YEARS to resolve. Most owners with issues can't wait years and are going to see if the NHTSA forces Ford to act.

Having spoken with the Producers yesterday by phone, the ABC story is ready. They were flooded with calls from owners and had no problem identifying a group in the same boat as me. The investigation launched this week by the NHTSA is being folded in.

For those of you who don't know, Swoop doesn't even OWN a Mustang... Let alone one with transmission problems so to the OP: he's far from equipped to give any first-hand advice.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
In stock form the auto is going to be slower if the manual has a competent driver even with the 3.31.

I agree to a point. On the strip or dig, stock vs stock (if the manual driver can drive) it should win. Having owned both, my auto absolutely pulls harder and passes cars faster from a roll than my 3.31 and 3.73 manual ever did especially 40 on up. Unless there was something wrong with my 6M :shrug: I haven't driven any other manual 5.0's to compare but mine. Btw, 5th in the auto is plenty useable believe me . The first 3 gears is all you need to do the job.

I have stated the exact thing you did in a past thread arguing for the manual saying it made more power to the wheels and was lighter... without really even driving the auto. I was being ignorant. The manual looks better on paper but it's not (at least in a straight line). Turns yes.
Believe me the auto is nasty in daily driving and a better platform for drag racing.

not to piss in your cherrios but no auto will be faster then a manual stock for stock unless of driver error

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
Trans problems are highly exaggerated

Considering Ford has sold around 70 thousand 2011 Mustangs . there have been maybe 100 complaints about the transmission and also consider that a lot of the buyers are Mustang newbies who jumped on board because they "heard" Mustangs were real fast and also consider that a lot of these guys grew up on Automatics and consider that a lot of guys are butchers when it comes to shifting( I have instructed "Mustang guys" on the track who were clueless when it comes to clutch/transmission interaction) then in my conclusion, the trans problems are really a non issue.
More like butchers ruining their trans because of a lack of skill and then crying about a bad trans.
If your going to track your Mustang buy a good aftermarket shifter just like guys have been doing since the sixties.
One of the strongest transmissions Ford ever made was the Top Loader 4 speed and in the hands of "butchers" they to also fail.

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
not to piss in your cherrios but no auto will be faster then a manual stock for stock unless of driver error
I guess you don't spend much time at the dragstrip do you?
Autos have been faster and also the trans of choice for years on the strip.
This ain't the sixties and most drivers don't shift like Ronnie Sox.

05_Evolution

I wish I was fast
Established Member
Bodymore, Murderland (Baltimore, Maryland)
Considering Ford has sold around 70 thousand 2011 Mustangs . there have been maybe 100 complaints about the transmission and also consider that a lot of the buyers are Mustang newbies who jumped on board because they "heard" Mustangs were real fast and also consider that a lot of these guys grew up on Automatics and consider that a lot of guys are butchers when it comes to shifting( I have instructed "Mustang guys" on the track who were clueless when it comes to clutch/transmission interaction) then in my conclusion, the trans problems are really a non issue.
More like butchers ruining their trans because of a lack of skill and then crying about a bad trans.
If your going to track your Mustang buy a good aftermarket shifter just like guys have been doing since the sixties.
One of the strongest transmissions Ford ever made was the Top Loader 4 speed and in the hands of "butchers" they to also fail.

:rockon:

jmatero

Established Member
Considering Ford has sold around 70 thousand 2011 Mustangs and there have been maybe 100 complaints...

Just to be clear, Ford built 21,000 MT82-equipped 2011 Mustangs.

Also, those 100 complaints are just those to the NHTSA.

It should be noted there are ZERO NHTSA complaints of gear lock-outs on 2011:

Corvette
Camaro
Challenger
CTS/CTS-V
Genesis Coupe
370Z
G37
BMW 1/3/Z4

Finally, the MT82 is now on backorder. Owners with failed transmissions are reporting multiple weeks in the shop with an ETA of September. Replacement MT82 supply is clearly exceeding demand at this point. Where are they all going? I've had two... Cbaty08 on here is waiting for his third.

Telling indeed

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member

i think you need to READ sir! STOCK FOR STOCK a manual will win unless driver error happens! Read before posting... ive spent plenty of time at the drag strip. Autos are constent but not faster by any means. If you want go get 2 4th gen fbodies, you hop in the auto and ill take the manual and we will go down the track and we will roll race as well and tell me which one will win 95% of the time

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
I am nearly positive that all my issues are clutch related stemming from pressure plate bolts backing out. Some times I wish I had gone auto but overall I am happy. I took the pro active approach of buying an aftermarket clutch which hopefully will resolve my problems.

I say you should just go for it.

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
Just to be clear, Ford built 21,000 MT82-equipped 2011 Mustangs.

Also, those 100 complaints are just those to the NHTSA.

It should be noted there are ZERO NHTSA complaints of gear lock-outs on 2011:

Corvette
Camaro
Challenger
CTS/CTS-V
Genesis Coupe
370Z
G37
BMW 1/3/Z4

Finally, the MT82 is now on backorder. Owners with failed transmissions are reporting multiple weeks in the shop with an ETA of September. Replacement MT82 supply is clearly exceeding demand at this point. Where are they all going? I've had two... Cbaty08 on here is waiting for his third.

Telling indeed

You are the vast exception to an albeit sucky rule. These forums tend sensationalize issues. It's the chance you take when you buy a first year run of a powertrain. Hope your car gets fixed.

jmatero

Established Member
You are the vast exception to an albeit sucky rule. These forums tend sensationalize issues. It's the chance you take when you buy a first year run of a powertrain. Hope your car gets fixed.

Nobody's has been fixed yet. Hence the flood of lemon-law cases Ford's lawyers are bogged down with.

A first year glitch is one thing. Not being able to shift a manual transmission is beyond a glitch. And considering owners of MT82 transmissions have been complaining about this since 2004... and considering 2012 Mustang owners are in the same boat... this goes beyond first year glitch.

Last edited:

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
Nobody's has been fixed yet. Hence the flood of lemon-law cases Ford's lawyers are bogged down with.

A first year glitch is one thing. Not being able to shift a manual transmission is beyond a glitch. And considering owners of MT82 transmissions have been complaining about this since 2004... and considering 2012 Mustang owners are in the same boat... this goes beyond first year glitch.

if there were known issues from 2004, why are you surprised that its junk? And more importantly why did you buy one? By the way, feel free to copy and paste this on the dozen other forums you spew your death and destruction message on.

ViciousJay

Established Member
if there were known issues from 2004, why are you surprised that its junk? And more importantly why did you buy one? By the way, feel free to copy and paste this on the dozen other forums you spew your death and destruction message on.

much like the 03/04 cobra i bought mine purely for the motor, couldnt care less about the rest of the car

jj6077

Established Member
I had a lockout yesterday trying to downshift to 5th. was on the 101 when the road started going uphill and twisting, that and traffic forced me to downsshift to 5th since i was about to go under 40. All i heard was a startling high pitch grind (not like the normal short and low pitched one i sometimes get) and then it popped into neutral.

While I do believe there is a problem, jmatero you really need to watch your attitude and quit being such a b***h. You instigate unneccessary arguments, your like that geeky kid in high school that always has to argue against everyone just for the sake of being annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread