Wanting New Hunting Rifle

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
As of right now the list of rifles I want to look at are the Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard and Accuguard, the Bergerac B14 Ridge, and the Savage 110. All in .270

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I think I am going to go with the Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard .270 with a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x50mm optic. The setup with mounts should come in under $1100 altogether.

I am still looking but will be pulling the trigger soon. Pun intended.

Can't go wrong with the tried and true .270win...they will kill any north American big game.

Check out Vortex scopes too...I'm a leupold guy but I just got a vortex for my 22-250 and man is it a nice piece for the money

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Bergara B14 Ridge chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The groupings these things hold with match ammo is unreal! Their customer service is amazing and the company is ran by a bunch of veterans. A gun shop local to me sells the crap out of these rifles. The owner bought one of their rifles that is comparable to the Ruger Precision and it wasn’t holding a good enough grouping for him. He called them, didn’t tell them he was a dealer and they treated him like royalty. They paid shipping to pick it up, fixed the gun and gave him some of the ammo he shoots. They didn’t once try to blame the ammo or the shooter. They asked him a couple of questions and that was it.

I plan on buying one in the next couple of months

The 6.5 Creedmoor is an awesome round too! It isn’t going anywhere! Shoots flat and long. I know you aren’t worried about the kind of ranges that round can pull off, but you would have one bad rifle for target shooting, hunting and long range target shooting! Kind of a do-all gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
After all the ballistic research I feel the .270 suits what I want the best. I can drop down to a 100gr bullet for hunting in the woods that will provide proper power when taking shorter shots while stepping up to 150gr when hunting open plots where my shots will be farther.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
After all the ballistic research I feel the .270 suits what I want the best. I can drop down to a 100gr bullet for hunting in the woods that will provide proper power when taking shorter shots while stepping up to 150gr when hunting open plots where my shots will be farther.

130gr is all ya need...my old man killed whitetail, mule deer, elk and black bear with the 130s...hit em where it hurts and watch em drop

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
130gr is all ya need...my old man killed whitetail, mule deer, elk and black bear with the 130s...hit em where it hurts and watch em drop

I realize that most likely I will not actually need a 150gr but it is a choice that is there. If I did not have the 7mm-Mag I would look to a .308 or larger but I feel there is no use at that size for me. I feel the .270, for what I plan on using it for is perfect. I can hunt and kill any deer I need to. I can even use it if I get a trip for my father and I to go out west.

My father sold his Ruger 7mm-Mag years ago when I was only using the .243 and he started using my 7mm-Mag. He is going to continue to use the 7 until he stops hunting.

Sent from your mom’s sex drawer using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
You inspired me to pick up ammo...will be the first time in probably fifteen years since I shot my deer rifles. One is a cheap Winchester 30-06 and the other is a .270 that my dad’s friend worked on for him. My BIL took them to the range a few years ago and shot them. So hopefully zeroing them in doesn’t eat up the 40 rounds each I got. Plus my shoulder would be dead if I go through 80 rounds.

Equalbracket

Established Member
I have sako's in 243, 270, 7mm rem and .300 win. All amazingly accurate rifles but I love my rem 700 .308 the most but it has a leopold worth more then the gun, and i'm not going to remount and site/bore it over and over on each rifle or the others would be used more often.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I have sako's in 243, 270, 7mm rem and .300 win. All amazingly accurate rifles but I love my rem 700 .308 the most but it has a leopold worth more then the gun, and i'm not going to remount and site/bore it over and over on each rifle or the others would be used more often.

I'm very impressed with the Rem. 308 I wish I could find a way to upload slow motion vids the wife took. She will be shooting her 7mm this weekend, weather permitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
So far I have come up with these to look at:

Bergara B14 Ridge

Tikka T3x Lite Stainless

Weatherby Wilderness and Accuguard

Bergara B14 Ridge

+ accuracy, looks, process of machining barrel

- weight, no stainless option

Tikka T3x Lite Stainless

+ looks, accuracy, weight, Sako barrel

- 22” barrel not 24”, boxed magazine

Weatherby Wilderness & Accuguard

+ looks

- barrel isn’t floated

I hunt in all types of weather so the question with a synthetic stock is will the bedding process for the Weatherbys be an issue?

I also like to hunt, from time to time, where my shots can be 400+ yards so will the 22” barrel of the Tikka become an issue when I decide to challenge myself?

I am dead set on a .270 as having the 7mm Mag gives me no reason to go bigger. But I still want something I could hunt Elk with. My uncles and I talked in November about maybe getting together along with my father and some cousins to go and do an Elk Hunt soon so, my father would use the 7 Mag since it has the bipod.

rwleonard

Established Member
A Begara B14 (I want either a Hunter or Woodsman) in 6.5 Creedmore with a Leupold 2-7 (CDS with wind-plex reticle) or so scope is a lot of capability for not much money, weight, or recoil.

I guess a Ruger American would do the same job for even less, but they aren't as "nice" as the B14's.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Check out Browning... they make a 270 short mag

No need for the .270WSM. Honestly, I was initially set on getting a .243 as I live the one I am putting up. I do like longer shots and worry about over penetration causing a deer to run. After combing over ballistics, energy transfer, and other information I feel the .270 is the best all around performer for me.

I have seen what too much bullet can do. I have seen a bullet pass through a deer without getting a chance to properly expand. I have seen what too much bullet can do if it “over expands”.

Machdup1

Established Member
I also like to hunt, from time to time, where my shots can be 400+ yards so will the 22” barrel of the Tikka become an issue when I decide to challenge myself?

At 400 yards a .270 will have no problems out of a 22” barrel. My .260 with a 22” barrel shooting 139 Gr bullets will hold the X ring. I think I drop a point in the last match I shot in fish tailing winds.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
At 400 yards a .270 will have no problems out of a 22” barrel. My .260 with a 22” barrel shooting 139 Gr bullets will hold the X ring. I think I drop a point in the last match I shot in fish tailing winds.

While the Weatherbys are still there and due to specs and features along with price a Ruger American All Weather is on the outside holding on, I feel it is really between the Tikka T3X and Bergara B14.

Machdup1

Established Member
While the Weatherbys are still there and due to specs and features along with price a Ruger American All Weather is on the outside holding on, I feel it is really between the Tikka T3X and Bergara B14.

I’ve also got a 20” .308 10 twist that will toss 185’s very accurately out to 1000 yards.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve also got a 20” .308 10 twist that will toss 185’s very accurately out to 1000 yards.

I bet that has a kick and ring to it. Lol

The other negative to the Tikka is having a plastic trigger guard. I’d imagine that whether it be the 22” Tikka or 24” Bergara, the .270 loaded properly could hit a target at 800-1000 yards with consistency.

Users who are viewing this thread