Warming up your car In your driveway? Here's a ticket

Zemedici

Established Member
This has been a big thing here the last few years. They refer to it as "puffing" when people warm up their cars in the cold, and many have been ticketed. Remote start is the only thing allowed if you leave a running vehicle unattended.

The claim is to prevent vehicle theft, because if it wasn't left running, the innocent thief would have never stolen it...

which i can sort of see....

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It is an opportunistic crime. I will say I imagine many would-be thieves are easily deterred, but when you hand them the keys to a car...

I still find it ridiculous that you can be fined for it.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
well, if its a remote starter thats different. but the cops get tired of chasing cars all over the city cause ppl are too dam cheap to buy a remote starter and some douschebag jumps in ur car and does robberies with it or uses to to go find another car to steal.....

I have ZERO sympathy for ppl getting cited for that!

the city I work in has seen over 300 cars stolen this year WITH keys in them and another 800 without.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
well, if its a remote starter thats different. but the cops get tired of chasing cars all over the city cause ppl are too dam cheap to buy a remote starter and some douschebag jumps in ur car and does robberies with it or uses to to go find another car to steal.....

the city I work in has seen over 300 cars stolen this year WITH keys in them and another 800 without.
That's a bunch in only 11 days.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
thats incorrect. insurance companies can't refuse to pay due to ur stupidity. thats like saying my house was burglarized but I forget to lock my front door and the insurance company telling u ur now not covered? make no difference!

when someone enters into a car they are committing a burglary in many states depending on how the statute is written there. here in CT it is a Burglary 3rd degree which is a felony.

you have 4th amendment protection with ur car just as u do with ur house. jus because the car is unlocked or keys on seat or keys in ignition its still a felony for someone to enter and take it and therefore the fault is the thief not the victim of the theft.

They would have to prove thats what happened, but insurance companies will get out of covering you any way they can.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

What about trying to make the criminals the criminal, not the car owner.

Do you live in san francisco?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
thats incorrect. insurance companies can't refuse to pay due to ur stupidity. thats like saying my house was burglarized but I forget to lock my front door and the insurance company telling u ur now not covered? make no difference!

when someone enters into a car they are committing a burglary in many states depending on how the statute is written there. here in CT it is a Burglary 3rd degree which is a felony.

you have 4th amendment protection with ur car just as u do with ur house. jus because the car is unlocked or keys on seat or keys in ignition its still a felony for someone to enter and take it and therefore the fault is the thief not the victim of the theft.

Not so sure about that. Lots of people make it easy for their cars to get "stolen" if they can't afford the car and can't sell it for what they owe.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
how bout having common sense? if u know ppl are out there looking to take ur car in the winter especially wen ur keys are in it and running why give them the easy steal?

the criminal is the criminal but unfortunately law enforcement in many areas has to remind ppl of how dumb they are and prevent them from making the police have to chase their car all over the city for either some "joy rider" or professional car thief lookn to fence the parts or re-vin it and ship it over seas or to mexico or south america.

no different then writing speeding tickets. if that fear of getting a speeding ticket wasn't there ppl wud speed excessively all the time.

yea its SAD the police have to enforce a statute like that but that statute is old. been working here in my city for 21 years and that city ordinance (leaving keys in car) has been around for 30+ years with GOOD reason!

What about trying to make the criminals the criminal, not the car owner.

Do you live in san francisco?

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
that is true. but the burden is on the insurance company to PROVE it NOT the other way around.

Not so sure about that. Lots of people make it easy for their cars to get "stolen" if they can't afford the car and can't sell it for what they owe.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
We should also fine people for buying cars that thieves target to lower the temptation even more and save the cops the trouble of chasing stolen cars all over the city.

Zemedici

Established Member
We should also fine people for buying cars that thieves target to lower the temptation even more and save the cops the trouble of chasing stolen cars all over the city.

perfect. No more garbage ass honda civics, accords, camrys, rams or silverados. :D hahahahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread