Wawful's Mark VIII

Wawful

Established Member
Hi guys, New to this forum, but not forums in general. been trolling for a few days wondering if i would need this site, then i finally pulled the trigger on a 93 mark Viii and decided it would be a good idea. got it with 111k Miles. Fully loaded for 1900, It came with a generic "super chip" the previous owner said it has never been installed It's Pearl White with 16 inch aluminum alloys and tan leather interior both the interior and exterior are 8.5/10, It has some quirks that i'm ironing out, I plan on going with the air suspension conversion to coils with eibach 1.5" drop springs and KYB GR2's all around. It need new tires first, and the idler pulley seems to have gone awol leaving just an inner bearing race and some scuffing on the serpentine, Once I get that sorted out i'm going to give it a thorough once over and 100k mile maintenance. In\cluding plugs wires PCV inspection EGR inspection tranny fluid flush and filter swap, Air intake filter, MAF cleaning if necessary, Vacuum line inspection, and anything else i see along the way. after all that is done i'm going to do an xpipe and true duals with somer sort of intake junk like larger TB/plenum/CAI

Here are some pix
20131018_134020_zps2011ba99.jpg

20131018_134001_zps7548177a.jpg

20131018_133148_zps2ba6041f.jpg

And here is where my pulley isn't

20131019_132024_zpsaf658866.jpg

Also I'm hearing a hard intermittent knock front the front passenger side, I can pinpoint it towards the front of the engine if i put a screw driver on the intake mani and press my ear to it, I'm hoping it isn't a rod, and if it is i'll find out tomorrow when i'm changing the oil.....plz no metal flakes i just need a DD!! My other one got smacked and totaled. so i ended up finding this for a great deal, I have about $1000 for additional maintenance and fix up stuff i dont want to have to spend all of that on a 50k motor and bust ass on the swap. i've read that these things just have gnarly piston slap, but i wouldnt think it that bad, it only does it on cold start up and between 1500-3000 rpm, it doesnt do it at idle or under light load or during all start ups, it will do it if i'm in that RPM range about 25% throttle I haven't done WoT since i heard the noise just in case. I've also read that it could be an AC clutch but i cant get it to really happen when i'm under hood, only when driving. I hope it's just weird belt slap from the missing pulley, but we'll see

Last edited:

Wawful

Established Member
This knock didn't Start until it had been off for a few hours, the car was warm when the guy brought it to me, I tried to talk for a while and just inspect the thing biding time to get it to cool down before i went on my road test when i started it. on the road test and even the 30 mile drive back to my place the car ran like butter. the drive was about 25 miles freeway and 5 miles in town, the buddy that ddrove me out there and I stopped to get gas and we hooned around a bit, He has an 01 GT with true duals and CAI, maybe some other stuff(he doesn't really know). He just bought it from the dealer, used, with those mods. We did a few pulls from about 30-60 and I did one fail brake stand and one mediocre brake stand, I don't think I spun bearings because I didn't push it too hard and it was well warm. Even if I did, I shut her down pretty soon after i noticed it so whatever damage might be repairable i'd go as far as to regrind the crank on this thing if i needed to. But considering the missing pulley I'm trying to be optimistic and plan on trying all other options before going that far, unless my oil catch pan glitters like the vegas strip, that would be undeniable evidence

IF all else fail i can run the floor-mat test.....
1. Apply gas pedal to floor-mat
2. Hold pedal in floor-mat position for 10 seconds
3 a.If knock worsens replace engine
3 b.If knock stays the same or goes away run it till she blows

Last edited:

Wawful

Established Member
Replaced Idler pulley and Serp belt, My cheap ass evercraft jack doesn't fit under the car so later today i'll take it to my buddies and borrow his low boy or just wait til tomorrow to get it into the shop to change the oil. Tomorrow I also plan on getting new tires mounted and balanced. it looks like i'll have some suspension stuff to go over, but once my Coil conversion gets here i'll go from there. I'll order the coil conversion Monday once I cash my insurance cheque. As far as the knock goes, I'm pretty sure it's actually related to sagging suspension components, I think what is happening is the passenger side exhaust mani is just contacting something. on initial start up the engine of course will move more than an idling engine and it only does it on cold start ups, and in a specific short RPM window so i'm thinking before the suspension raises the car after a long (relatively) leak down period there is just some things that are in each others way and the vibrations at certain speeds facilitate more contact than at others. I'm going to look for witness marking on the mani. I'm pretty sure it isnt an internal issue. I used my screwdriver stethoscope trick and couldnt hear any difinitive knock from front, rear, passenger, driver, top or bottom sides of the engine. I'll keep looking until i really figure it out though.

Wawful

Established Member
Okay guys I know you are out there! where are my welcomes! I've done all the mandatory pix or ban noob shit, and I even fixed something already!, Well I'll Introduce myself now Instead of my car and my Problems haha. To start, My name is Jacob. I'm a 20 year old student (almost 21) at my local community college, I'm Majoring in Automotive Technology, and plan on being ASE master certified by the time I'm 22 yrs old. Currently I am in my third semester of college and should be Graduating with an associates of applied science this fall. When I'm not at school I'm probably gonna be making Pizza Dough for my local pizza joint, or working on one of my many projects. Currently I am rebuilding a donor engine for a 1988 Chevy Spectrum, I bought the spectrum fro 500 bucks and ran it for a winter til the clutch wore out. The motor that is currently in it is a 1.5L SOHC carbureted engine. The donor engine is a 1.6L DOHC FI engine out of a 1989 Isuzu I-mark RS. When i';m not working on that I am working on my 1989 VLX 600. I am currently rebuilding the carb with higher flow jets, installing Velocity Stack intake runners, and opening up the exhaust on it. Lastly Is the Lincoln. I had to replace my Previous Daily driver, which was a 2000 Buick LeSabre. It was run over by an f-350 powerstroke in a half empty parking lot......damn teenagers in their daddies big pick-ups. After dealing with the insurance company, which was a serious pain in the ass (I will forever hate allstate) I got my cheque and played the waiting game. I ended up with this Lincoln and even though it has a few issues I'm Feeling confidant that it will last.

Here are some links to my other Gigs:
Isuzu Impulse Geo Storm (Isuzu/Spectrum)

Buick LeSabre - Almost Anything Goes - RegalGS (LeSabre)

Wawful

Established Member
Thanks! I didn't Know how sweet these things were until I started doing my research, and man did my eyes open up. I have always been a fan of the "sleeper" type car, and it is the basically the pinnacle of sleepers. Also, that was one mighty fine looking lightning you had there, must have been some serious arm twisting for you to let it go.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Thanks! I didn't Know how sweet these things were until I started doing my research, and man did my eyes open up. I have always been a fan of the "sleeper" type car, and it is the basically the pinnacle of sleepers. Also, that was one mighty fine looking lightning you had there, must have been some serious arm twisting for you to let it go.

Thanks.:rockon:

Yep you have the 4 valve engine like the Cobra. They're runners.:burnout:

Edit: 93 maybe not the 4 valve.

Last edited:

Wawful

Established Member
Woah woah woah there larry, The cobra has the 4 Valve from the Lincoln!*e-peen flex* It was introduced in 1993 with the MK VIII, The Cobra got it in 96! I've been getting pretty deep into the wealth of knowledge here. I spent so much time on this site the past few days that I actually dreamed about posting thing here last night.... haha Now correct me if i'm wrong. But is it just the SN95's that share the 4 valve or are there later model years and other models that have it as well. I just want to get my ducks in a row if i have to source one for this knock.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Woah woah woah there larry, The cobra has the 4 Valve from the Lincoln!*e-peen flex* It was introduced in 1993 with the MK VIII, The Cobra got it in 96! I've been getting pretty deep into the wealth of knowledge here. I spent so much time on this site the past few days that I actually dreamed about posting thing here last night.... haha Now correct me if i'm wrong. But is it just the SN95's that share the 4 valve or are there later model years and other models that have it as well. I just want to get my ducks in a row if i have to source one for this knock.

SN95 up to 2004 with the 4.6 4 valve I believe

Wawful

Established Member
SN95 up to 2004 with the 4.6 4 valve I believe
Awesome, Thanks! Also In the engine specific sub forums would I be wrong to assume there isn't one for these engines. There subs are Coyote series, Boss series and Eco boost. I have most commonly read these things referred to as the "modular" V-8 with B-heads. But i'm not 100% a little clarification from anyone would be great. Thanks in advance

Edit:
If anyone has experience with American Air Suspensions feedback on their products would be great.
I'm currently having trouble deciding between the KYB strut kit http://www.americanairsuspension.co...r-Suspension-Conversion-p/9398mk8klwcvsks.htm

Or the same kit with monroes http://www.americanairsuspension.co...Air-Suspension-Conversion-p/9398mk8cvlsks.htm

Last edited:

Wawful

Established Member
Yeah, the intake and some other things that I don't all remember are different, the Cobra has 300 HP and 305 TQ, this thing was rated at 280 Hp 285 tq so they squeezed another 20 Hp With something like the dual 57mm intake and the manifold then the exhaust has an x-pipe or h-pipe in stead of the y-pipe. Not really sure though

kylecm85

Established Member
I Had a 94 for about 6 years. Loved that car. Nice car and low miles on yours. Go check out lincolnvscaddilac.com. Mostly mark owners on there and a whole lot of knowledge.

Wawful

Established Member
I Had a 94 for about 6 years. Loved that car. Nice car and low miles on yours. Go check out lincolnvscaddilac.com. Mostly mark owners on there and a whole lot of knowledge.

Thanks! i'm pretty happy with how clean she is. I'm gonna go sign up there at LVC and link up this thread. I mostly joined here because you guys know the performance side of these motors. I'm sure they will be a little more knowledgeable about the suspension parts too.

kylecm85

Established Member
Yeah it's a awesome site. I have not been there for awhile. Mine was converted from air ride to a coil over setup lowered 1.5 on 20's. Those motors are nice. Wish I would have taken the block from my old one. Pretty much to do any kind of tunning for the pre 96 will take a chip. Since it is not obd-II.

Wawful

Established Member
Yeah for a non-OBD II car this thing has an assload of Diagnostic plugs on it. I'm actually really excited to tear into something this complex. The mock ups at school are a little hum drum and our customer work has been all 100k maintenance type stuff since we are going over emissions and efficiency. So the tech has been pretty minimal and the paperwork has been a little heavy. This thing has a lot of the weird systems that we just read about in the book. I just wanna poke around and test everything I can!!

kylecm85

Established Member
They are pretty complex. That's for sure. But once you understand them you get use to working on them. Everything under the hood is insanely compacted under the hood and hard to get to. That's what drove me crazy. The throttle body is a pain to get to. Bit I wish I still had it to mess with.

Users who are viewing this thread