Well that didn't last long...

SVT1320

Established Member
New tune is doing well so far, I've been having to travel more than usual, but we'll get it finished soon. If anyone in the western Arkansas area is looking for a good tuner I'd check out Tuned by JP, he does it all.

Since I'm pushing 18 PSI, I ordered some NGK TR7ix plugs, before we finish up the tune I wanted to install them. However, I cant find anything concrete as to what they should be gapped at. Anyone have an idea?

As always... thanks again!

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
.028 Gap would do fine for you. Also I would start looking into getting a better throttle body to help with the additional boost you are making. You just slipped down that slippery slope.....

SVT1320

Established Member
.028 Gap would do fine for you. Also I would start looking into getting a better throttle body to help with the additional boost you are making. You just slipped down that slippery slope.....

I've got the Ford Racing twin 65mm, are you suggesting I go bigger than that?

SVT1320

Established Member
Okay guys, I'm so close to being ready to ditch this car! So a few weeks ago I ordered and X4 tuner off AM while I was waiting for my tuner to schedule me in. The BAMA tunes were horrible and after 12 datalogs and 4 different tunes the car was still pinging. To compensate for the ping I was running 110oct mixed with 93oct... zero ping. When I was finally able to see my tuner we ditched BAMA and started creating my config. Monday I go to do my final tune, he told me to ensure I had no 110 left in the tank. Prior to that, he also told me to change the spark plugs. I was told by several people that with my setup I should go with TR7ix's so I did. I honestly assumed the current plugs in the car were stock, but I pulled them out and saw they were TR8ix's. I went ahead and swapped them out, as they definitely were due. I told my tuner about this and he said that it was fine and wouldn't really affect much as far as him tunning it. We spent an hour driving around, logging and tweaking. I left with everything seeming to run fine (to include two 145mph highway pulls).
This afternoon when going to get lunch I stabbed it in second and heard ping again!! Maybe there was still some 110oct left and it wasn't completely out. So I just let my tuner know.
I also noticed today that my peak PSI was capping around 15, at least in those few instances. Back when I first had the car it was reading 18PSI. Could this change have come from the spark plugs? Could it be because we keep having to pull more and more timing out of the tune?!?!
I'm so bummed!! I feel like we keep on having to yank more and more timing out! I want power! Has anyone experience this?! Please, share any thoughts!

Last edited:

MastaAce03

Established Member
Spark plugs will not change your boost. What are they gapped at? Most recommend .028 at your boost level.

I'm also having issues with my knock sensors pulling timing @WOT, tuner is blaming bad gas. I wouldn't be boosting your car at all if you're hearing it ping until you get this figured out.

What's your timing set @WOT? Assuming you've data logged, how much timing is being pulled @WOT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVT1320

Established Member
Spark plugs will not change your boost. What are they gapped at? Most recommend .028 at your boost level.

I'm also having issues with my knock sensors pulling timing @WOT, tuner is blaming bad gas. I wouldn't be boosting your car at all if you're hearing it ping until you get this figured out.

What's your timing set @WOT? Assuming you've data logged, how much timing is being pulled @WOT?

Hmmm interesting. Yeah I gapped at ~.029

I'm definitely staying out of boost also. Just happened to hear when I got on it.

At first I was thinking bad gas but I tried two totally different stations that had 93. However, I know its something with the gas(or obviously timing) because throwing in about 2 gallons of 110oct stops the pinging. I just find it hard to believe my local 93oct is THAT crappy!

Does timing affect boost? These are questions I can ask my tuner, just didn't wanna look dumb haha. As far as how much timing is being pulled, I'm not sure, but I'll definitely ask him. The only datalogs I currently have, were when I did it for BAMA. My tuner told me to completely empty this tank, refuel, and come back... while driving it easy of course.

MastaAce03

Established Member
I hear you. I fill up with 92 octane at Chevron and my car is pulling 3 degrees of timing with a 91 octane tune. Makes no sense to me but I'll try a different gas station this week and see if it makes a difference.

Timing won't affect your boost. Do you have a aftermarket boost gauge that you're using? Most say the factory boost gauge isn't accurate

SVT1320

Established Member
I hear you. I fill up with 92 octane at Chevron and my car is pulling 3 degrees of timing with a 91 octane tune. Makes no sense to me but I'll try a different gas station this week and see if it makes a difference.

Timing won't affect your boost. Do you have a aftermarket boost gauge that you're using? Most say the factory boost gauge isn't accurate

Definitely keep me updated and I'll do the same. I'll find out my timing information, if the weather holds up I'll be out to see him Friday. If I have to, I'll run a race gas mixture, but I really dont want to. Just tired of sacrificing power.

paluka21

Established Member
Was there a significant temperature difference between the 18psi and 15psi? Notice any belt slip, such as belt dust collecting on the hood or around the blower snout?
If you're getting ping even on the 93 tune, if it were my car, I would request a 91 tune *while* running 93 octane to give you more margin for error. These cars have sensitive knock sensors and will pull timing quickly, even under false knock. Why push for more power if you're not racing the car often and sacrifice reliability? Unless you don't mind forking over the cash for a new motor.

Last edited:

paluka21

Established Member

It's ballpark within 2psi. My car made a hair over 14psi but factory boost gauge would sometimes show as high as 16psi.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Just my opinion but I don't think your problem is Gas, I think you have to aggressive Tune. Seems like to me you are right on the edge Timing wise. Any change in temperature or gas variances could cause issues.

What were your Air/Fuel readings throughout the Dyno run or tuning session?

If I were you, I would get a 2nd opinion on that Tune from a different Tuner. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in your area but Kurgan Motorsports in Atlanta is one of the best in the SE. Call Bob Kurgan there and talk to him about your issues.

Also what are your Mods? Just a 65mm FRPP Throttle Body? If no other changes and stock upper pulley, 15lb is much more accurate than 18lb boost. Something seems off there as well when you were reading 18psi.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
This makes my stomach hurt with how you are playing with a motor. One of the reasons I am content with stock power and my warranty. Good luck OP. Hope you get it figured out before popping the motor. I'm not a smart guy, but I do KNOW if you are adding high octane to keep from detonating, that is too much timing.

Tom

SVT1320

Established Member

Any luck with the gas?

Just my opinion but I don't think your problem is Gas, I think you have to aggressive Tune. Seems like to me you are right on the edge Timing wise. Any change in temperature or gas variances could cause issues.

What were your Air/Fuel readings throughout the Dyno run or tuning session?

If I were you, I would get a 2nd opinion on that Tune from a different Tuner. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in your area but Kurgan Motorsports in Atlanta is one of the best in the SE. Call Bob Kurgan there and talk to him about your issues.

Also what are your Mods? Just a 65mm FRPP Throttle Body? If no other changes and stock upper pulley, 15lb is much more accurate than 18lb boost. Something seems off there as well when you were reading 18psi.

I was supposed to see my tuner Saturday, but something came up and I couldn't make it, going back Wednesday, I'll get those answers then. I'm running the JLT big carbon intake, FR twin 65mm throttle body, and a 2.4'' upper pulley.

What I find odd is even after my 3rd BAMA tune (which was still getting ping), Brandon the tuner at BAMA, said that the tune was running conservative when compared to other 13-14 GT500's they've done. Odd right? What would be a good A/F ratio? I've heard it's the 14 range.

The only reason I'm having to go back is more my fault, because I suppose I didn't get all the race gas out of it before the last tune session. However, if after this next visit I'm still getting ping, I'll gladly look into your recommendation! An I may give him a call regardless.

This makes my stomach hurt with how you are playing with a motor. One of the reasons I am content with stock power and my warranty. Good luck OP. Hope you get it figured out before popping the motor. I'm not a smart guy, but I do KNOW if you are adding high octane to keep from detonating, that is too much timing.

Tom

Someone else with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong, but adding higher octane is actually a good thing in this case. It's not masking the issue, 110oct is actually correcting it. I could call it quits today and continue running the car with a 1-2 gallon mix of 110oct. However, I don't want to be reliant on always having 110 available whereever I am. I'll get in dialed in safely, I don't run the car on the ragged edge, only enough to get in the adjustments it needs. If all else fails, I'll just LS swap it! Haha, totally kidding!!

Users who are viewing this thread