Well that didn't last long...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the 110 is only addressing the symptom - ping, its not addressing the root cause which is either too much timing or a fueling issue from what Ive glanced at (or something mechanical rattling around being picked up as knock)

paluka21

Established Member
You shouldn't have to add 110 octane fuel to a street tune with a cold air intake, pulley, and throttle body. Something's not right with either the tune, your intercooler could be contaminated with oil, or something is amiss. I would suggest getting this sorted out before you move forward with adding high octane fuel to bandaid an underlying culprit.
At idle 14:1 A/F ratio is just fine, but what you really need to pay attention to is the A/F ratio under the curve especially around peak torque. I prefer my A/F ratio to remain no higher than 11.5:1 which can provide some cushion for weather/temp changes and inconsistencies in octane.

fearthesnake

Established Member
You shouldn't have to add 110 octane fuel to a street tune with a cold air intake, pulley, and throttle body. Something's not right with either the tune, your intercooler could be contaminated with oil, or something is amiss. I would suggest getting this sorted out before you move forward with adding high octane fuel to bandaid an underlying culprit.
At idle 14:1 A/F ratio is just fine, but what you really need to pay attention to is the A/F ratio under the curve especially around peak torque. I prefer my A/F ratio to remain no higher than 11.5:1 which can provide some cushion for weather/temp changes and inconsistencies in octane.
Agree - with those Mods, shouldn't need 110 Octane. I'm a novice, but sure seems like too much Timing under load.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
...BAMA tune...
Problem identified. Seriously, recommend you consider a VMP, Lund, or reputable local tune.

the 110 is only addressing the symptom - ping, its not addressing the root cause which is either too much timing or a fueling issue...
At idle 14:1 A/F ratio is just fine, but what you really need to pay attention to is the A/F ratio under the curve especially around peak torque.
+1 to all of this.

SVT1320

Established Member
Problem identified. Seriously, recommend you consider a VMP, Lund, or reputable local tune.

+1 to all of this.

I started with a BAMA tune, in the past I've had a good experience with them but not this time around! However, now I'm getting a local tuner to check the car out.

rjm-1

Established Member
I started with a BAMA tune, in the past I've had a good experience with them but not this time around! However, now I'm getting a local tuner to check the car out.

Don't waste your time, money and frustration. Go to the guys who have more experience tuning GT500's than any one! Call BJ at VMP Performance! You,ll thank me. :)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Seriously, you need someone with '13-14 GT500 experience.
I would only use Lund Racing or VMP if you're doing mail order tuning, which isn't bad with those 2 companies.
Assuming you just want to run 93 pump, your combo should be happy on 93 octane with a competent tuner.
If your local gas sucks and you're not willing to sacrifice low power/low timing tunes, you should swap to E85 or a meth injection system, like Snow Performance. Those are your realities if you're having issues with local 93, but I ran 93 with a Lund tune at 19-20psi and had no issue.
Good luck, once you fix the issue and have a safe tune with those mods, you'll be very happy.
-J

mavisky

Established Member
One call to Lund of VMP would have your car running fine.

I've never met a GT500 owner who was happy with their tune from Bama. I have a Steeda tune on my car now because I have their pulley and intake on the car. If I ever change the intake to a JLT or similar VMP will be the only place I call.

Zemedici

Established Member
One call to Lund of VMP would have your car running fine.

I've never met a GT500 owner who was happy with their tune from Bama. I have a Steeda tune on my car now because I have their pulley and intake on the car. If I ever change the intake to a JLT or similar VMP will be the only place I call.

Mav if you only knew....

100 cars with these kinds of tunes come in, 99 of the issues are fixed when said tune is removed...

Zemedici

Established Member
I saw one of their tunes 1st hand on a dyno in the Carolinas on a Terminator and it was shocking. The A/F was off the charts and nothing Ive ever seen.

Fixed an 03 cobra last week that literally would not get out of its own way at WOT in 3rd gear.... and customer was told 'it's normal'

I mean a stock 3V would have drug this car

SVT1320

Established Member
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Two Sundays ago I was on my way to see my tuner and someone backed into the drivers side door at a Sonic:mad::mad::mad:. The damage wasn't horrible, the door panel is being replaced and I should have it back late next week from my local Ford dealer.

THEN back to my tuner to get this hopefully sorted out! Worst case I'll give one of the recommended tuners a call! Thanks for checking in!

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
SVT1320....I'm not knocking ( No Pun!) the box tunes but it seems at this time you are not able to provide Lund/VMP/Bama with info accurate enough for them to match your needs. I'm also not sure where you are located. However, if I was in your predicament I'd reach out for advice from fellow forum members on a custom tune shop (with dyno) in your area proficient with late model Hi-Po cars or better yet GT500's.

Maybe bring your car to the tuner who swapped your plugs ( if he has a dyno) or a reputable custom tune shop and bring a new SCT X4 tuner. Have a fresh tank fuel from the highest octane local pump gas available in your area. Let them identify all your bolt on performance equipment upper/lower, CAI, tensioners, plenum etc. They will then write a "base tune" for your car and with boost gauge attached create a tweaked custom tune specific to your GT500. You should drive home with a safe, powerful new machine and no more anxiety.

This of course is just one guy's opinion. But hey...you're already on this forum so why not let one of the local folks here recommend a shop ? Too often I attempted to resolve on my own issues only to experience way more anxiety. If your engine is knocking it's asking for help:)->) ! One day in a reputable dyno/tune shop can solve lots of problems, perhaps save money in the long run or God forbid prevent engine damage. Once you know exactly what you're shooting with mail order tunes can meet all your future mods. If I may also suggest use only Tier 1 fuel. Get your GT500 in beast mode and keep using that brand fuel.

Last edited:

SVT1320

Established Member
One call to Lund or VMP would have your car running fine.

Sorry I never got back to everyone!! I took Mavisky's advice, and after doing a little research, gave VMP a call. They did a 93oct/100oct tune with the current mods I have, they also advised that I add the 170 degree thermostat, so I did.

Final verdict: The car runs like a beast! Zero issues thus far (almost 3 months in) and I couldn't be happier!

THANK YOU EVERYONE involved in my thread for your advice/knowledge!! Seriously, I was starting to get really stressed over this. I've decided to celebrate by installing a Barton short-shifter this weekend haha.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Sorry I never got back to everyone!! I took Mavisky's advice, and after doing a little research, gave VMP a call. They did a 93oct/100oct tune with the current mods I have, they also advised that I add the 170 degree thermostat, so I did.

Final verdict: The car runs like a beast! Zero issues thus far (almost 3 months in) and I couldn't be happier!

THANK YOU EVERYONE involved in my thread for your advice/knowledge!! Seriously, I was starting to get really stressed over this. I've decided to celebrate by installing a Barton short-shifter this weekend haha.
Awesome to hear. So the final word or culprit was the tune?

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member

Bj & Justin @ VMP are the MEN!
I've referred countless people to them for issues.
They tuned one of my Terminators & the Shelby. Both run flawless.
Glad you got it resolved! Now go have fun...

Users who are viewing this thread