WHat 02 sensors are you running?

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
im pretty sure I need some new 02 sensors. I have gone through 3-4 sets in the last 5 years since installing longtubes.

I have ran the stock motorcraft and NTK that Van sells

If anyone knows why mine foul out all the time please chime in. My ex tuner blew a few and currently have VMP dyno tune.

builttodrive

Established Member
I just had a set go bad on me as well. It looks like my off road xpipe is to blame because the o2 sensor bungs are placed horizontal to the ground and not tipped up at an angle to help reduce moisture from collecting on them which will damage them.

RBB

Established Member
I've been running a set of NTKs with long tubes for over a year now and they're still going. Builttodrive is correct, the bungs on long tubes are horizontal to the ground, which causes moisture to collect in the tips of the sensors, and that's why they fail.

I was going through sensors pretty frequently until I re-oriented my bungs. You can plug the originals and have new ones welded in or simply bend the original bungs up. I went with the later option....screw in an old O2 sensor, put a big pipe wrench on it and give it a push.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
O2 sensors aren't cheap and having to buy the almost once a year is really annoying. Gonna have to do what RBB did. Thanks for all useful info

builttodrive

Established Member
What indicators do you guys get for failing o2 sensors? I assume I have one going bad but my only indicators are CEL's with p0139 and p0159 codes and they are both rear or downstream sensor codes.

RBB

Established Member
What indicators do you guys get for failing o2 sensors? I assume I have one going bad but my only indicators are CEL's with p0139 and p0159 codes and they are both rear or downstream sensor codes.
My car never even throws a code. The only way I can tell when my O2s foul out is to watch my wideband gauge. Everything will appear normal until I go WOT, and then the gauge will peg at a max AFR reading and stay there until I shut down and restart the car. At first I thought my gauges were malfunctioning, but data logs confirmed it was the sensors.

builttodrive

Established Member
I have gotten a P0139 code (left rear o2 sensor) periodically ever since installing long tubes and going to E85 but was told this was a trade off to having the long tubes and E85. I clear it as it comes on about once each tank of fuel. Annoying but no ill affects so I just ignore it. I recently had a P0159 code come on (right side rear o2 sensor) and this time I glanced over at my wideband gauge and it is ramping up and down fast from 12.5-17.5 and I can feel the car surge a little. It does this for a few seconds and then throws the light. Afterwards everything seems to be normal. Clear the code and it does it again the next time I drive it. I assume it is my rear o2?

What's the better o2's to buy Motorcraft? NTK's?

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
I am on my second set of ARH long tubes because I got tired of replacing sensors, sold the first set. Then a few years later decided I missed them and got a new set. ARH changed the clocking of the driver side front sensor between 2012 and 2014 but it's still not enough. I just threw on a set of NTK, when I took the motor craft ones off the passenger side was looking good and the driver side showed signs of rust from the condensation build up. I think the only real solution is to fix the orientation of the sensor bung.

Users who are viewing this thread