What happened to the On3 SINGLE turbo kit for Coyote's?

avexhype

Established Member
Doing some research on Turbo Kits for our cars and going back several years I noticed that On3 had developed a single turbo kit for our cars before their infamous twin kit they sell now.

What happened to this kit? Did it never make it out of development or did they completely scrap it and go twins before it ever hit the shelf? I don't see it on their website at all, and there ZERO threads out there from someone who bought this kit... What gives?

Some people such as myself prefer the simplicity of a single turbo and not having to move things around on the passenger side of the car (pcm, ac lines, etc).

DSC04576-1.jpg

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
with all the issues plaging a lot of the singles, they opted to focus on the twin kit, which has really worked out well

avexhype

Established Member
What issues is everyone referring to, specifically? I found several threads about the EDP kit and apart from people hating on it for being a "knock off", it looked like a nice kit, more so for someone on a stock motor not looking for high boost or power levels?

What's different about the CPR/JPC kits that make the EDP and Single On3 kits obsolete?

AKDMB

Established Member
The EDP has back pressure issues apparently, that takes a toll on the valve springs. They also stop making power in high rpm. I wasn't sure if this was because the turbo size or just the design of the kit. CPR kits have had no problem carrying power all the way to 7000rpm.

avexhype

Established Member
Intriguing...

Does S&H plan to use the comp oil-less turbos like they did on their stealth kits for 3v's? I heard those turbos are nothing but trouble and always need grease repacking...

Or are they talking about using an oil scavenging pump? I weary about those too...

Gah, this is making me just want to go with a S/C.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Intriguing...

Does S&H plan to use the comp oil-less turbos like they did on their stealth kits for 3v's? I heard those turbos are nothing but trouble and always need grease repacking...

Or are they talking about using an oil scavenging pump? I weary about those too...

Gah, this is making me just want to go with a S/C.

I think COMP is already on their 2nd gen oilless. They modded the center section and do break in on them at the factory, last I heard anyway.

sspstangbanger

Pushrod Killer!
Established Member
I think COMP is already on their 2nd gen oilless. They modded the center section and do break in on them at the factory, last I heard anyway.

Yep I run a comp oilless 80mm on my car and it works great. They are not designed to be used in engine bay or high heat like under hood. More for front mount or rear mount or low mount

fordman2012

Established Member
Sorry to bring back a post from so long ago but it appears that on3 is getting back into doing a single turbo kit and they are looking to price it around $3500. Anyone have any more info about this kit or anything that may discourage you from going in this direction?

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
sounds like a high quality kit. a quality Turbo, WG and BOV would cost $3500.

Save your money and order a CPR kit.
Remember, a SINGLE CPR Turbo kit will spool up faster then a Twin 60mm Hellion kit will.

jn2

Established Member
sounds like a high quality kit. a quality Turbo, WG and BOV would cost $3500.

Save your money and order a CPR kit.
Remember, a SINGLE CPR Turbo kit will spool up faster then a Twin 60mm Hellion kit will.

on3 has already proven to be reliable with their Chinese turbo's, no need to shun people who go with the most cost effective method of adding boost. There are plenty of people rocking their kits making major power...

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
oh I don't doubt that. The question is what kinda BS did they have to go thru to get there.... you get what u pay for. if u think a Turbo kit is any different then id say u haven't owned many Turbo kits.

on3 has already proven to be reliable with their Chinese turbo's, no need to shun people who go with the most cost effective method of adding boost. There are plenty of people rocking their kits making major power...

fordman2012

Established Member
to my knowledge most of the issues with the on3 kits were fitment, and wastegate issues. I am seriously considering this kit and just getting a good quality tial wastegate and maybe upgrading the turbo. I have a couple family members who are very good welders and fab guys and I think they would be willing to help with any fitment issues that may arise.
if there are any other common issues with the on3 kits that anyone knows about I would like to know. Thanks!

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I'm pleasantly surprised how well mine has worked so far. Besides the horrible fitment on the drivers side down pipe and not so great passenger side waste gate fitment, the kit works great. Turbo's spool up almost instantly, waste gates hold boost perfectly.

You have to remember that this is not ON3's first Rodeo. They've been building turbo kits for a while now for several different cars.

stang910

Established Member
No complaints here with On3. Wastegate's are fine and no way I would want the turbo's to spool any faster. Fitment wasn't perfect, but nothing to complain about. I can see how someone that doesn't have a lot of experience at installing parts would have issues and would complain about it, but there really isn't any fitment issue with the kit.

Now with that said IMO the CPR kit is hands down the best single kit out there if not the best FI kit overall.

fordman2012

Established Member
No complaints here with On3. Wastegate's are fine and no way I would want the turbo's to spool any faster. Fitment wasn't perfect, but nothing to complain about. I can see how someone that doesn't have a lot of experience at installing parts would have issues and would complain about it, but there really isn't any fitment issue with the kit.

Now with that said IMO the CPR kit is hands down the best single kit out there if not the best FI kit overall.
I agree the CPR is probably the best kit period however im just looking for a budget single kit that will work and be reliable and from what I have heard if you can get past the install gremlins the on3 setup is not to bad! One question that I do have is did you go with a larger capacity oil pan for your turbo setup like the Moroso pan that holds 2 more quarts or did you stay with the OEM oil pan? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread