What Shocks and Struts for smoothest ride---and irs fitment?

FIREBALL

Established Member
What shocks and struts help smooth out the ride the most and fit the rear of irs, It seems that there are not many options for shocks that fit the rear of IRS.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Honestly, a rear shock tower brace and FLSCs will do more to improve the ride than the shocks and springs do. These aren't Cadillacs, people don't generally look to make the ride more compliant.

Ironmancuck

Banned
Established Member
Nothing will be more compliant than the factory springs and shocks, so the answer is to buy new OEM shocks and these parts along with the factory rubber bushings make the biggest difference for a nice plush and compliment ride. Lighter weight wheels will reduce unsprung weight and improve the ride quality. Add subframe connectors and more sound deadner as well. Some will say that these cars are not Cadillacs, however, with the right parts, a Cadillac ride is possible.

omj

Established Member
I have Tokico D-specs and my car rides great. I can adjust from cushy to hard depending on if I am cruising, drag racing or running a curvy road.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I second tokico d with sfc and bushing kit. Also installed mass back carpet to help with road noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Some will say that these cars are not Cadillacs, however, with the right parts, a Cadillac ride is possible.

I didn't say it wasn't. I said that people generally don't try to make them more compliant. Few people buy a Mustang and try to make the car handle worse. Hence, the aftermarket doesn't support it. So, like you said, the best thing is to get new stock stuff.

The other thing you could do, depending on how much you want to spend, is try an air ride set up.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Just wanted a shock/strut that could HELP smooth out the small ruts and bumps just a LITTLE bit,----------dont want and not looking for a Cadalliac ride. Looks like the Tokico D is a possibility, wonder if any of the other adjustables set on soft would help?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FWIW I had Bilstein HD's and H&R Race springs and the ride was pretty good. I thought my car rode better than my wife's 06. I switched to coilovers and the ride is about the same. But then I daily a truck so comfort is relative.

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
FWIW I had Bilstein HD's and H&R Race springs and the ride was pretty good. I thought my car rode better than my wife's 06. I switched to coilovers and the ride is about the same. But then I daily a truck so comfort is relative.
I'm going to run the On3 turbo setup and they require you to convert to the UPR K-member that uses coil overs. It's nice to hear that the ride pretty much sucks stock or with coil overs. Oh well, I had never had a Mustang prior to my 99 Cobra. I was surprised how terrible these things ride compared to by Z06 which is very comfortable. If you are forced to run coil overs in the front, can you still run something like Bilsteins and the MM bushing kit in rear and still get a decent launch? Sorry to high jack the post.

SVT_Colin_01

Established Member
I just recently got Koni Sport Shocks and Struts for my 2001 Cobra. I love them. The car rides so much better now. I have H&R Sport springs all around on my car as well.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm going to run the On3 turbo setup and they require you to convert to the UPR K-member that uses coil overs. It's nice to hear that the ride pretty much sucks stock or with coil overs. Oh well, I had never had a Mustang prior to my 99 Cobra. I was surprised how terrible these things ride compared to by Z06 which is very comfortable. If you are forced to run coil overs in the front, can you still run something like Bilsteins and the MM bushing kit in rear and still get a decent launch? Sorry to high jack the post.

I wouldn't say the ride sucks by any means. Is a Cadillac? Nope. It's a firm ride, but it's not back breaking. I've spent a couple hours driving my car at a time with no issues.

You can get springs for the coilovers for drag racing to help with weight transfer. I have the FTBR in my IRS. I don't have any real weight transfer because I want to take turns fast. But a quick spring swap would help a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread