What suspension mods should i do

markcass123

Established Member
Hey guys,

I have been told that this kenny brown foward torque brace i bought is utterly useless. So what should i do to my 2003 cobra that is bone stock outside of a tune and exhaust kit. Im looking to spend around $400-500 maximum right now but what would be the most effective upgrade i could do right now on the IRS to prevent wheel hop?

Thanks - Mark

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
subframe connectors should be your very first mod, and its cheap. then i would replace your subframe bushings and diff bushings- urethane is cheap but delrin is better but however, you may not need delrin. trial and error. for alot of ppl, polyurethane fixes ppls wheel hop, but delrin does a better job. you can always do a steeda stop the hop package and since it doesnt come with control arm bushings, you can add delrin control arm bushings later if you still need it.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
First, what tires do you have and how much power do you have? Tires are the #1 source for eliminating wheel hop. Next, Billetflow IRS Brace, which costs around $150. Then, Full Length Sub Frame Connectors. After that, New Differential Bushings. If it's a DD you'll be fine with getting Poly Bushings instead of the Aluminum ones, especially if your budget is $400-500. If you aren't running very much power, the IRS Subframe bushings aren't going to do much. For reference, my 04 is stock and I have 14mm IRS Front Subframe replacement bolts, Billetflow IRS Brace, Maximum Motorsports Poly Diff Bushings, and 285 Nitto NT555 ZR (not DR). I have asolutely zero wheel hop on asphault and almost none on concrete.

Last edited:

markcass123

Established Member
I bought the car a month ago and it came with new tires they are Fuzion 275/40/17s
never heard of them but ill prob put some nittos on when i burn these up. The car is bone stock outside of a tune and x-pipe short throw shifter.

Thanks - mark

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Wow, that's amazing I bought mine in January with the same tire - wheel hop city. Get some new shoes on that thing ASAP or you'll be in an uphill battle.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
those tires are crap

first thing you need to do is evaluate your goals for the car. The dumbest thing you can do is just throw parts at a problem if they aren't going to solve your long term power goals.

My car is a cruiser that goes to the track MAYBE once a year. H&R Race springs, MM sub frame connectors and BF Goodrich G-force TA KD's eliminated the wheel hop for me....but again..its a cruiser for me.

Last edited:

NFCstang

I probably don't like you
Established Member
Subframes (Griggs lowers)
IRS Brace (Billetflow)
Diff bushings (MM)

That'll be about $500 and you can do most of the work yourself

mysticalsnake

Established Member
those tires have been on the back of my cobra (the fuzion ZRi's) in a stock size, and making 468hp/461 tq...i had ZERO wheel hop...EVER. i've only gotten wheel hop 2 or 3 times in the 2-1/2 years i've owned the car though, and i beat the hell out of the car whenever i drive as it mostly sees the track and weekend driving.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
The weather is finally breaking around here. I hope to find out what my car will do very soon. I know the drive home with F1's, 30* weather, and the roads a little wet, was no fun. The car hopped all over.

Replace all (3) diff bushings with an aluminum set. Send a pm to Bruce (ac427cobra). He has a great kit on here. You should also get his rear toe links. Very economical pricing.

Don't waste your money on the BF IRS brackets that are welded to the rear subframe. I didn't see any benefit whatsoever from that product. The more effective mods (taking the rubber out of the control arms) are going to get you way out of the $500 range.

I did control arm bushings (delrin) on my old 01 Cobra conv and it completely eliminated hop in my Cobra. Best mod I ever did and hope to do it this summer on my Termie.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Replace all (3) diff bushings with an aluminum set. Send a pm to Bruce (ac427cobra). He has a great kit on here. You should also get his rear toe links. Very economical pricing.

Don't waste your money on the BF IRS brackets that are welded to the rear subframe. I didn't see any benefit whatsoever from that product. The more effective mods (taking the rubber out of the control arms) are going to get you way out of the $500 range.

I did control arm bushings (delrin) on my old 01 Cobra conv and it completely eliminated hop in my Cobra. Best mod I ever did and hope to do it this summer on my Termie.

I would do aluminum, but I don't want to have to mess with pinion angle. I have no clue how to do that. I could take it to my shop, but I don't want the hassle of leaving it somewhere, then go back to pick it up.

I just want to do the poly diff bushings. I do not go to open track events, so I'm not worried about melting them. How would the poly front bushings do with an aluminum rear???? Anybody do that?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
How would the poly front bushings do with an aluminum rear???? Anybody do that?

I wouldn't know why? The aluminum is going to transfer quite a bit of NVH and if you're running a poly front it doesn't make a lot of sense. :shrug:

If your concerns are holding the rear more efficiently the Delrin rear mount will get you what you're looking for. Poly in the rear mount is a horrible idea for anyone. Poly is not capable of stabilzing the diff in the rear mount, period. The Delrin will give you the best of both worlds. Nice rigid mount, yet still not transfering the massive amounts of NVH of an aluminum mount.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I wouldn't know why? The aluminum is going to transfer quite a bit of NVH and if you're running a poly front it doesn't make a lot of sense. :shrug:

If your concerns are holding the rear more efficiently the Delrin rear mount will get you what you're looking for. Poly in the rear mount is a horrible idea for anyone. Poly is not capable of stabilzing the diff in the rear mount, period. The Delrin will give you the best of both worlds. Nice rigid mount, yet still not transfering the massive amounts of NVH of an aluminum mount.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Do you have a link to your set up on diff bushings? rear/front & rear in delrin?

Users who are viewing this thread