Whats a good place to buy replacement gears

MineralCobra

Established Member
Hi all,

Whats a good place to buy a replacement 5th gear, something oem spec or stronger. Looks like my 5th gear gave up tonight probably stripped the teeth. If you guys know vendor that sells them or a place please lmk.

Thanks

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Hi all,

Whats a good place to buy a replacement 5th gear, something oem spec or stronger. Looks like my 5th gear gave up tonight probably stripped the teeth. If you guys know vendor that sells them or a place please lmk.

Thanks

I don't expect the gears to be stripped, the synchronizer might be gone and those parts would do extra damage. The gears are always meshed just not engaged till the synchronizer locks in.

MineralCobra

Established Member
I don't expect the gears to be stripped, the synchronizer might be gone and those parts would do extra damage. The gears are always meshed just not engaged till the synchronizer locks in.

Thanks for heads up, I will drop the tranny this week and see whats going on inside. I was in 5th then it suddenly reved like in neutral (thats why i assumed it got stripped ). Heard bunch of pieces inside floating around. every gears work fine expect 5th. you can go into 5th but just revs up like neutral.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Some have a split 5th and 6th and some are one piece. The gear breaks when it's in gear and you hit it hard and your hooked up. That hurts.

651ae6fc2c1029fef5265becfd520ab3.jpg

You see the friction disks differences even with carbon fiber it still has less surface contact, highway racing and high speed shifts into fifth can prematurely wear this or missing third.

cj428mach

Established Member
This is what mine did to 3rd gear

icnry0.jpg

dvlc78.jpg

I was just cruising in 3rd around 40mph and mashed the throttle on a cold winter night. The car started pulling for a split second and then a boom followed by sounds like marbles rolling around in the transmission.

Four Door SVT

Established Member

icnry0.jpg

dvlc78.jpg

I was just cruising in 3rd around 40mph and mashed the throttle on a cold winter night. The car started pulling for a split second and then a boom followed by sounds like marbles rolling around in the transmission.

I know shit happens, there should be more evidence of the cause. What hp are you at? That's a clean swipe like the rear end locked up, or a small clip got in there. Looks expensive

MineralCobra

Established Member
5thgear.jpg

I had a feeling this happened.. Sucks hopefully I can find some replacement gears at local tremec dealer.

Does anyone have TQ specs for reassembling the case?

MineralCobra

Established Member

icnry0.jpg

dvlc78.jpg

Same here I was in 5th cruising then wanted to do a fly by for the camera in friends car.. didn't want to down shift and went wot few sec later same as you described above..

cj428mach

Established Member
I know shit happens, there should be more evidence of the cause. What hp are you at? That's a clean swipe like the rear end locked up, or a small clip got in there. Looks expensive

Im probably around 700rwhp range. As I said I romped on it in 3rd with traction on a cold night. I think once it knocked a few teeth, it did more damage as 2nd chipped a few teeth from chunks going through it.

Op try to find someone parting out a t56. I think I sold 5 an 6th together for $250 to 300. They were a matched set and made no noise.

MineralCobra

Established Member
Im probably around 700rwhp range. As I said I romped on it in 3rd with traction on a cold night. I think once it knocked a few teeth, it did more damage as 2nd chipped a few teeth from chunks going through it.

Op try to find someone parting out a t56. I think I sold 5 an 6th together for $250 to 300. They were a matched set and made no noise.

I wish I could find someone parting one out but Im looking all over the place and can't find anything. I remember you were parting yours out I looked up your old thread and saw you sold it. I was like damn lol

New ones aren't so bad. i think 450 for both gears. place in North Carolina has them. I will check with the local tremec dealer tomorrow if they have them in stock they are like 20min away. I want to get it back on the road and enjoy before the damn NY snow arrives.

Soap

Established Member
Are 5th and 6th gear separate rings? I think I might have an OEM set in my attic. Shoot me a PM with your cell so we can shoot some pictures back and forth to make sure I have what you need.

--Joe

97snakebite

Established Member
Are 5th and 6th gear separate rings? I think I might have an OEM set in my attic. Shoot me a PM with your cell so we can shoot some pictures back and forth to make sure I have what you need.

--Joe
The gears are separate but there is a 5th 6th driven gear are together

Last edited:

MineralCobra

Established Member
they are seperate on the cobra, i ordered it from a local tremec dealer. $385 shipped to my door for both gears. Not bad for oroginal replacement.

is 5th and 6th gear weaker then rest? since they are overdrive gears. i hope this isnt going to happen to my lower gears while wot. kind of has me petrified now. smh

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Tremec has the assembly and disassembly on their wed site.

Also sealing the case half’s I use three bond, it’s for machine surfaces with out gaskets

MineralCobra

Established Member
Tremec has the assembly and disassembly on their wed site.

Also sealing the case half’s I use three bond, it’s for machine surfaces with out gaskets

thanks for the heads up.. the removal and install on the 5th gear went smooth.. just alot of pieces.. just have to keep organized and mark in order of removal.. 100 miles and a few races and all is well lol.

Users who are viewing this thread