What's it gonna take to beat an H/C/I foxbody?

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
I say find out what heads he is running, if they arent nice aluminum ones then smoke that piece regardless how nasty it sounds, my 5.0 hci sounds like it would smoke anything but its a big fat turd e303, edelbrock performer intake, and gt40 port&polish, and its a low 14 @97mph, get your gears and ur other basic mods and run him

if he wins, put the jug on your car, and dust his shit talking ass next time

haha if your only running 14's@97 with h/c/i on your gt it has to have something wrong with it! lol my 95 gt with just intake exaust and gears ran a mid 14@95+mph, you should be in the 12's and 13's trapping between 104-108,they make around 270-300rwhp with most h/c/i setup. your 1/4 times of 14's@97 sounds pretty much stock,ive seen as fast as 14.8@96 1/4 for a bone stock 94-95 gt.

H/C/I can vary so much on these cars, I have had 3 diff h/c/i setups on my 5.0 and it verried so much in power and how it ran and power range.most will dyno around 270-300rwhp so a full bolt on geared tire 96-98 cobra will be a good race for a basic h/c/i bolt on 5.0 car,but there are some rare cars like a friend of my who has a stock heads cammed foxbody all he did was intake exaust,gears,tire and weight reduction and driver mod he runs mid 12'@108 still on stock heads cam 5.0 with just the bolt ons. so its hard to say

Hell I have a built 306 h/c/i with big comp cam, ported aluminum trickflow heads high compression and I would lose to his stock h/c/i car. so depends the setup.

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Man up.. Get some REAL gears.. 4.56/4.88

BTW. the stock intake is a true CAI anyways, don't waste your money. K&N and call it a day.

Just my advise.. Feel free to waste your time, money, and effort as you please though.

1989Gt.

Banned
Lol just try to find out what he has and i say race him you got this bro just out drive him launch it like a beast.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
To be perfectly honest you sound young and like you just got your car. (I was there at one point.)Having to race someone and post up on the internet and find every advantage is just foolish in my opinion. Not trying to be rude man but its not even worth the effort. All your doing is having a dick measureing contest with this guy.
If you really had to do it I would just suggest to throw some 4.30's in and drag radials and a shifter and call it a day. This will cost you about $1k but the gears are what will make this biggest difference. A CAI doesnt do shit, just throw a K&N air filter and your good to go.

I am young, and no I didn't just get my car lol. I just haven't modded it as most of my time went into my GT that I owned for 2+years. The mods I listed that I want to do within the next month are mods that I researched and came to the conclusion that they are the right path to get into the 12's with a few more stuff not on that list. Than wouldn't every guy who ever researched a certain car and the mods they want be taking advantage and thus be termed foolish as well? Just a thought. And no by no means you are not being rude, I respect your opinions. And yes it is almost a dick measuring contest haha I have to beat this guy. I don't mind losing but not to this guy lol. Yes I already know gears is the best mod for 96-98 cobras as our torque curve is pretty far up in the RPM range. I know the basic mods, and yah some people say no on getting a CAI but I like the way the JLT looks haha.
H/C/I can vary so much on these cars, I have had 3 diff h/c/i setups on my 5.0 and it verried so much in power and how it ran and power range.most will dyno around 270-300rwhp so a full bolt on geared tire 96-98 cobra will be a good race for a basic h/c/i bolt on 5.0 car,but there are some rare cars like a friend of my who has a stock heads cammed foxbody all he did was intake exaust,gears,tire and weight reduction and driver mod he runs mid 12'@108 still on stock heads cam 5.0 with just the bolt ons. so its hard to say
Hell I have a built 306 h/c/i with big comp cam, ported aluminum trickflow heads high compression and I would lose to his gt 40 h/c/i car. so depends the setup.

Yah I've seen some beastly 5.0s with little to no mods and slicks, crazy. But thanks for all that info that's good to know (all the hci combo stuff). I think I will be alright.
Man up.. Get some REAL gears.. 4.56/4.88

BTW. the stock intake is a true CAI anyways, don't waste your money. K&N and call it a day.

Just my advise.. Feel free to waste your time, money, and effort as you please though.

Haha Those are some insane gear ratios! If only it was just a weekend car if only. I sold my GT which was my dd so now I'm daily driving the snake. I actually only drive in town street driving though, so that steep of gears wouldn't be a bad idea. Hahaha I'm going to have to do some more research on the cai, JLT makes big claims with some dyno graphs and some folks I know with the JLT love that intake. I had a K&N filter on my GT than went to a cai and actually felt some tiny bit of power (with a tuner though) compared to just a k&n filter.
Lol just try to find out what he has and i say race him you got this bro just out drive him launch it like a beast.

Yah I will press him on the mods. I'll try and launch like a boss lol. With gears and DR's it should launch pretty darn well.

SVT Pille

Established Member
Do u know Wut hci the fox has? My service manager has a notch with gt40 heads e cam and a cobra intake mani with 3.90 gears and my Cobra shits on him on any given day. And im at 305/270. On his setup they only trap like @100. In the 1/4. Run that fox from a roll.

Lol bro the FRPP hci's are nothing to write home about. E cam is way dated, and the gt40 top end is decent at best so I'm not surprised you rolled on him.

But OP... If he's got a good setup like AFR or trick flow heads I'd watch out because you're looking at about 310 wheel in a car that weighs roughly 3000 pounds. I think you'll have a hard time beating him with just bolt on's.

Dont build your car to beat someone else's, it's a waste of time and money. Enjoy the car for what it is. It's all about having fun, and if you can't do that then what's the point?

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Lol bro the FRPP hci's are nothing to write home about. E cam is way dated, and the gt40 top end is decent at best so I'm not surprised you rolled on him.

But OP... If he's got a good setup like AFR or trick flow heads I'd watch out because you're looking at about 310 wheel in a car that weighs roughly 3000 pounds. I think you'll have a hard time beating him with just bolt on's.

Dont build your car to beat someone else's, it's a waste of time and money. Enjoy the car for what it is. It's all about having fun, and if you can't do that then what's the point?

You and I need to race, sir.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I'm in Chandler, you? Ohhh yah once you get busted or have a near death experience it kind of deters you haha. I don't really street race either, I only race people I know and in good conditions like good road and no traffic. It's not for me but it's for these dudes to quit talking smack with a car they didn't even build. Everyone is saying nitrous well hidden. But yah true I like your method start with a 75shot and up it if necessary.

Hey are you interested in a Cobra cruise? If you look in the "A Taste of Home" section in the southwest region there's a cruise coming up for Cobras/Mustangs in AZ. It's mostly Cobras but got a foxbody and a few GTs going. I think some GTOs and a corvette maybe as well.

I'm in North Phoenix, knocking on Anthem's door.

I would love to participate in a cruise, if my car was up and running. Last cruise I was in we went from Phoenix to Prescott and back. There were about 30+ mustangs in the cruise, so it was pretty cool. One of these days I'll part the car out and get a new one........

billy maxfield

Established Member
Getting the power to the ground is your best bet for beating him. Get the gear and do some suspension mods so it will hook. Thats how the mildly modded cars run the times they do. Its all about suspension .

SVT Pille

Established Member
If this is for real record it!!!! I wanna see this!! But he only has 2:73s? uhohhh roll race? anyways record!

Haha yeah it's real, and theres nothing we don't tape :rockon:
JOE!!! Y U NO GET THOSE 4.30's BACK IN NAOOO!!!

luke87gt

Established Member
Just too many variables...

Not all HCI foxes have north of 300rwhp - It still takes a well thought out combo to make 300rwhp with a stock shortblock.

Not all fox drivers can drive - Most people in this hobby can't drive. It's usually the guys who have some track experience that have a pretty good idea of what to do and what not to do. I thought I was John Force out on the street until I hit the track and had some humbling experiences. But I learned.

Not all foxes weigh less than 3000lbs - I weighed my fox to be 3250lbs without me in it. No lightweight by any means!

Just run him and see. If he beats you (and you are paying attention), you should be able to identify why. Did he hook better? Did he outdrive you? Does his car simply have a better power to weight ratio?

No stop posting this garbage and get out there! :beer:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
If this is for real record it!!!! I wanna see this!! But he only has 2:73s? uhohhh roll race? anyways record!

I always bring my camera when I go to the hangouts, etc. This one will be recorded, I'm thinking he will beat me but we'll see. I think a 35 or so roll will be in order. Check out my youtube if you want, it's DVJ38er. Also make sure to look at the playlist "my car" lol

Ya I used to have 4.30s but that rear end whined a lot and I wasn't doing the 15 hour drive to Mustang Week with that thing so I just swapped the whole thing out for a rear out of a friends old fox that he said was quiet. So it ended up having 2.73's lol but I got 30 mpg on the way down. I'll be building my rear end this winter or next spring and I'll be going with 3.73s.

OP: Get racing lol

Last edited:

1989Gt.

Banned
I always bring my camera when I go to the hangouts, etc. This one will be recorded, I'm thinking he will beat me but we'll see. I think a 35 or so roll will be in order. Check out my youtube if you want, it's DVJ38er.

Ya I used to have 4.30s but that rear end whined a lot and I wasn't doing the 15 hour drive to Mustang Week with that thing so I just swapped the whole thing out for a rear out of a friends old fox that he said was quiet. So it ended up having 2.73's lol but I got 30 mpg on the way down. I'll be building my rear end this winter or next spring and I'll be going with 3.73s.

OP: Get racing lol

Nice i just checked out those vids. Yeah let me know when you race the 5.0 should be a good one.

Quin

Established Member
I'd think you'd be fine with gears/shifter/exhaust/dr, but you seem to really want to beat him so why not be on the safe side? Not like nitrous is a bad mod to end up with anyway.

And yeah, 40 rolls in first was something like 5500RPM. I beat a lot of drivers in faster cars that way.

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
haha if your only running 14's@97 with h/c/i on your gt it has to have something wrong with it! lol my 95 gt with just intake exaust and gears ran a mid 14@95+mph, you should be in the 12's and 13's trapping between 104-108,they make around 270-300rwhp with most h/c/i setup. your 1/4 times of 14's@97 sounds pretty much stock,ive seen as fast as 14.8@96 1/4 for a bone stock 94-95 gt.

Hell I have a built 306 h/c/i with big comp cam, ported aluminum trickflow heads high compression and I would lose to his gt 40 h/c/i car. so depends the setup.

True it is a slow time, but this was on a 100 degree day in amarillo tx, dry as hell, stock 94-95s run high 15 low 16s here buddy, also on street tires and a canned tune..... factors played into it

:lol:Here in amarillo john force couldnt get a mid 12 out of a exhaust gear and weight reduced fox, maybe where you are from yes, but here hell nahh

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member

Yah I'll have to look into his mods. It's definitely lighter. We'll see, if it's a basic GT40 set up I might be able to beat it. And you are absolutely right, I'm not really building my car to beat his just thought I'd see if I could take him with the mods that I already had planned. My goal since buying this car was to get into the 12's, and that's what I intend to do with a little bashing of a 5.0 on the way haha.
I agree RECORD!

Getting the power to the ground is your best bet for beating him. Get the gear and do some suspension mods so it will hook. Thats how the mildly modded cars run the times they do. Its all about suspension .
I agree, that's why I'm buying some DR's and later down the road on my quest for 12's, some control arms. I already have some ford B springs and tokiko shocks. Yah a guy on AFM is in the 12's with a fox running UPR suspension and I think some boltons and no real engine work.
Just too many variables...

Not all HCI foxes have north of 300rwhp - It still takes a well thought out combo to make 300rwhp with a stock shortblock.

Not all fox drivers can drive - Most people in this hobby can't drive. It's usually the guys who have some track experience that have a pretty good idea of what to do and what not to do. I thought I was John Force out on the street until I hit the track and had some humbling experiences. But I learned.

Not all foxes weigh less than 3000lbs - I weighed my fox to be 3250lbs without me in it. No lightweight by any means!

Just run him and see. If he beats you (and you are paying attention), you should be able to identify why. Did he hook better? Did he outdrive you? Does his car simply have a better power to weight ratio?

No stop posting this garbage and get out there! :beer:
Basically I wanted to know what hci foxes are capable of, and you all have informed me. It all is going to come down to what set up he has. And that is very true, most people think they are driving gods but prove other wise on the track. I don't claim to be an awesome driver at all, but I think I can out drive this guy. I think my launching capabilities are beyond his. So the right tires and gears and if I win the launch I might have a chance. Yah I'll pay attention and of course get video so that I can look over the results. And yes his car does a better power to weight ratio.
I'd think you'd be fine with gears/shifter/exhaust/dr, but you seem to really want to beat him so why not be on the safe side? Not like nitrous is a bad mod to end up with anyway.

And yeah, 40 rolls in first was something like 5500RPM. I beat a lot of drivers in faster cars that way.

I think so too, some disagree but I have watched some videos and what not and I think I have a strong chance; he hasn't visited the track so that's a plus. Because I probably won't ever use the nitrous again after that as I prefer to build a raw NA no SC, turbo, or nos. Although it could help me here. Hahah that's insane! Way to jump into the powerband lol. I might have to try that sometime.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I'm in North Phoenix, knocking on Anthem's door.

I would love to participate in a cruise, if my car was up and running. Last cruise I was in we went from Phoenix to Prescott and back. There were about 30+ mustangs in the cruise, so it was pretty cool. One of these days I'll part the car out and get a new one........

Oh that's pretty far up there. Anthem's a little lonely haha. Sorry to hear it's not running fine. Really when did that cruise occur? I think we plan to do a cruise to Payson sometime soon. It would be great if you could bring it on a cruise before taking it apart. And why do you want to part it out? If that's the case sign me up for that procharger I see you have!

Quin

Established Member
It's definitely fun. Hard to hear honks at 5K with an o/r x and blown out flowmaster 40s though... lol

Users who are viewing this thread