Which blower would you use?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I've decided to swap the blower on my terminator and initially purchased a very good condition GEN 1 Whipple 2.3. I had every intention to put the Whipple on, but my mind started working(which is usually bad when it comes to cars) and I wondered if the Whipple would make enough power. I read several threads on the topic and then wound up impulse buying a Kenne Bell 2.8h. So now I have both on a shelf and can't decide which I'm going to install, and which I'm going to sell.

I have twin GT40 supercar fuel pumps, 80lb injectors, MAF, and an Accufab single blade TB. All these are also on the shelf waiting to go in with the blower.
I've read tons of threads and get conflicting info. So many discussions on this have made the answers convoluted. I don't beat the shit out of my cars and don't care much about track times. I do care about getting as much power given the mods I'm putting in, because I'm a guy and I want a fast car.

My question is which is the better blower to impress passengers and feel like the vette beside me isn't my master?

I have read the bigger KB really shines at high psi, but I'm not going to run more than 19psi. My Terminator is a sub 10k mile pristine example that obviously isn't driven much. But I want it as powerful as I safely can without getting too crazy. I'm leaning toward the KB, but I need to be pushed over the edge.

MG0h3

Established Member
If you're staying on pump gas I'd run the 2.3. Not sure what changed between gen1 and 2 though.

What elevation are you at?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The whipple 2.3 is great for a stock 03-04 cobra motor. The whipple 2.9 and kb 2.8 push more power normally than the stock lower end will handle for too long on pump gas.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
The whipple 2.3 is great for a stock 03-04 cobra motor. The whipple 2.9 and kb 2.8 push more power normally than the stock lower end will handle for too long on pump gas.
Running the KB at around 19 psi is too much over the whipple around the same psi?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Running the KB at around 19 psi is too much over the whipple around the same psi?

Running 19psi on either blower on. Stock motor with pump gas is a bad idea. Pistons are weak to heat and detonation. You could make your goal of 600hp safely on E85 at 19-21psi. Even race gas. Anything more than 550-560hp on pump gas is risky on stock motor.

Zemedici

Established Member
Running 19psi on either blower on. Stock motor with pump gas is a bad idea. Pistons are weak to heat and detonation. You could make your goal of 600hp safely on E85 at 19-21psi. Even race gas. Anything more than 550-560hp on pump gas is risky on stock motor.

what....? Where did you get this information?

OP, the 2.3 will do everything you're wanting to on pump gas, and make 600. I wouldnt worry about the 2.8 if you're wanting to make 600.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
what....? Where did you get this information?

OP, the 2.3 will do everything you're wanting to on pump gas, and make 600. I wouldnt worry about the 2.8 if you're wanting to make 600.

Actual cars that I have personally seen. You can do whatever you choose. I'm only recommending a safe level.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm making 714 on a gen 2 2.3 whipple. Factory lower and 2.6 upper 22psi. Not positive on the difference between gen 1 and gen2....I think it's 2psi less. So, you should be able to make 20psi and on E85 I'd think you'd make 675 wheel range. 133-135 trap car. That should hang with most mortal vettes

I raped a c7z pretty bad a couple months ago....yanked it hard. I was in 3rd cruising 65mph....let out about 125 in 4th. He didn't stop to chitchat....not sure what all was done to it

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
My biggest concern with the Kenne Bell is the heat they produce. The KB on my 93 Cobra get crazy hot with normal driving.
That being said, I would think the bigger KB would be more efficient with making moderate power (18-19psi). I am pretty much leaning toward the KB because I think it will make more power than the whipple, but I don't want to regret it for some reason.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Either will great for E85, but on pump, i'd imagine the 2.3 will be snappier down low-mid

I agree.

This will probably not be well received.....but if you're worried about the motor of a nice 10k mile car, I'd just leave the eaton on there if all you want to do is run pump gas. I say that because I think you will be disappointed with either 2.3 or 2.8s performance on pump gas and you will be tempted to push the line closer and closer to danger. I think you will be much happier with the TQ curve of even a 19psi E85 setup. The tuner can ramp the timing up much faster below 4000 on E85 versus 93 and hit much higher timing levels 5500-6500 giving you ultimate top end HP. Either blowers pump gas tune will feel lazy in comparison.

Then of course have all the cooling and safety components built right into ethanol. Ethanol will keep your low mile motor the safest of all.

cj428mach

Established Member
I would sell both.

The 2.8 is over kill for gasoline and will feel doggy at lower boost.

The 2.3 Gen 1 whipple won't be a bad blower but depending upon how old of a Whipple you have they need to be spun harder to make the same boost as the later ones. The really old Whipples that were made by Lysholm defintely make less boost than the others. I had a Gen 1 whipple and boost was on par with the Gen 2's.

I would buy a TVS and here's why.
1. It has better throttle body options.
2. It has the removable inlet which is worth its weight in gold.
3. There are way better pulley options available for the TVS. Try finding a Whipple pulley smaller than 2.75" and then look at VMP's site and see that you can order a 2.5", 2.6", 2.7" etc.
4. The TVS screams louder than the Whipple.
5. The TVS seems to have more low/midrange torque. (My buddy that went Whipple to TVS says the same thing)

I've owned both a TVS and a 2.3l Whipple, and I'd choose the TVS hands down. The only blower I would consider ditching my TVS for would be a 2.8KB Behemoth. The reason I'd go KB is because I like the way the blower will come off and leave the intercooler in place. Its the closest thing to a removable inlet.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys for your responses. I'm still contemplating what I'm going to do. Perhaps I'll sell both and go TVS. Wtf is this so difficult lol

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Actual cars that I have personally seen. You can do whatever you choose. I'm only recommending a safe level.

There are cars littered all over the Terminator forum making 600hp on pump gas and a stock engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys for your responses. I'm still contemplating what I'm going to do. Perhaps I'll sell both and go TVS. Wtf is this so difficult lol

Word is that the 2.65 TVS will be out for the 03-04s in the Spring. That is what I am looking for. I will either go that direction or the 2.3TVS depending on numbers and price.

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Word is that the 2.65 TVS will be out for the 03-04s in the Spring. That is what I am looking for. I will either go that direction or the 2.3TVS depending on numbers and price.

Where did you hear this? I thought it was only going to be a gt500 option.
I just sold my blower and will be buying a TVS soon but I'll hold out for spring if this is true

98termiswap

Established Member
there is no point at any time a 2.3 will be as good or better then a 2.8 kb, i have driven both, i run 50/50 93/110 and meth, 23lbs of boost and its a animal. the whipple is a dog even low boost the blower its instant boost, throw the 2.8 on with a 3.75 pulley will put you about 15-16 psi and will make 600 wheel, and heat issues are not a problem with propper cooling upgrades

Users who are viewing this thread