Which cams for stock engine?

Sluggie24

Established Member
I have to replace the timing chains and guides etc on my son's 03 GT auto due to chain rattle. Picked up the ford racing chain kit. That got me thinking that putting cams in would never be easier since I'll have it all apart.

Which cams would be a good choice for a stock engine that has the basic bolt ons that a few years from now will get a supercharger? I understand NA and FI cams are different on these engines but are there cams out there that would work both ways?

If not which would be good NA cams to run with stock valve springs and which would be best if I changed the springs?

Obviously any cams would need to clear the stock pistons.

What kind of power gains would we be roughly looking at? (Would obviously need a dyno tune after cams)

Thank you for any info you can give!

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Generally speaking, depending on mfg, a stage 1 grind if you do not want to change out valve springs and stage 2 grind unless you are going to take measures to address PTV and do some other modifications.

Check out Modular Head Shop, they have a lot of options with good descriptions and offer a degree service so you can simply bolt in and go. I would go MHS stage 2 for good power gains, and no springs req'd or PTV issues +_ you get some lope at idle.

Rolltide1006

Established Member
Generally speaking, depending on mfg, a stage 1 grind if you do not want to change out valve springs and stage 2 grind unless you are going to take measures to address PTV and do some other modifications.

Check out Modular Head Shop, they have a lot of options with good descriptions and offer a degree service so you can simply bolt in and go. I would go MHS stage 2 for good power gains, and no springs req'd or PTV issues +_ you get some lope at idle.

Check out Modular Headshop and Cushman Motorsports. Both make great stuff and customer service is top notch. They will set you up with a solid cam for your application and get them degreed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sluggie24

Established Member
The stage 2 cams from MHS interest me. I dont want to struggle changing valve springs in the car. LOL The degreeing service would also save me a ton of time. I'm also in the process of building a new 4r70w trans for him which will include a 2400 stall converter which would work with the cams.

Anyone have an idea of the power gains of these cams?

Rolltide1006

Established Member
The stage 2 cams from MHS interest me. I dont want to struggle changing valve springs in the car. LOL The degreeing service would also save me a ton of time. I'm also in the process of building a new 4r70w trans for him which will include a 2400 stall converter which would work with the cams.

Anyone have an idea of the power gains of these cams?

I would imagine 20-30 hp at least. Your odds are better with full bolt ons. Especially long tubes.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
^ Agreed, and a tune. You should be able to gain a solid 25-30 ish or so bolting in the cams and go, but 2v seem to take to long tubes well. Should net you better gains overall doing both at the same time and then get some good fuel in the car and throw some timing at it in the tune, will take it up another notch and help wake it up.

Sluggie24

Established Member
His car still has the stock exhaust manifolds on it and i wasn't going to bother changing them until it gets a supercharger and built engine in a few years.

Think the stock injectors will be good enough? I'd hate to have to buy 24's since he will be getting the 39's that are in my car now when we do his build down the road.

Rolltide1006

Established Member
His car still has the stock exhaust manifolds on it and i wasn't going to bother changing them until it gets a supercharger and built engine in a few years.

Think the stock injectors will be good enough? I'd hate to have to buy 24's since he will be getting the 39's that are in my car now when we do his build down the road.

I’m running my stock 97 injectors and don’t have any issues. You don’t have to do long tubes but you will lose a little power with the stockers.

StrayBullitt

Established Member

I went with 24's. they're cheap, got mine used for $120 plus a little $ for EV6 connectors. Could always most likely re-sell them when the time comes.

Edit.. I believe 21.5's stock on that 03?? probably will get the job done. .

Sluggie24

Established Member
Thank you everyone for all the info.

Now i just have to decide if I want to spend the extra money. Between buying the parts to build a new trans for him last week and the money I just spent ordering wheels and drag radials for my car at the American muscle show last weekend my credit card is smoking. lol

I might make it an early xmas present...

scottydsntknow

Established Member
MHS Stage 2 NA cams and the degree service.

Remember you will need a tune and you should have a tune anyway. This means a legit tune which means no Bama or other canned "tunes for life". I recommend James Gordon. His company is "Tuning by James" and he's got decades of experience tuning these things.

The really big benefit to these cams besides extra power and being able to use stock valvesprings is they'll make power to 6500rpm and that is what the stock springs can take.

Sluggie24

Established Member
He has a canned tune right now but I have a great tuner that I used for my car who will tune it if I put the cams in.

The big problem I have is it will cost $1k-1.3k for about 30hp.(including new followers and tune) I looked at the cam specs and it has more duration on exhaust than intake but less lift which means they will work with a blower ok but aren't really blower cams. I already told him I'm putting a supercharger in it once he graduates tech shool in 2 years.

I need to think about it still. If I get cams it will be from them though.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
They aren't blower cams. But they'll work fine and the stock bottom will only take so much. And yes only 30hp or so but its not as simple as that. The USABLE power is much more with the new cams and you can use it for longer with the 700rpm bump in the redline. Plus just overall driveability will be better and the sound too.

As far as the blower in 2 years... 2 years is a long ways away. Maybe in 2 years you decide you should just sell it and buy a car with a blower already or a Terminator or a used Gen1 Coyote or something. Prices for the Gen1 Coyotes especially are continuing to tank.

I mean you do you. I'm just saying that the MHS Stage 2 cams aren't just adding 30hp and it feels the same. It will be a totally different car. In a good way.

Sluggie24

Established Member
I don't think he ever wants to sell the car. He really likes it. Might only get used as a fun weekend car one day though.

I'm still thinking about it trust me. Just the cost thats making me pause. It's costing me about $1500 to build the trans for him (Which should handle 600hp) and that is after I just bought and painted a cowl hood for it a few weeks back. lol if it wasn't for his trans going last week i would have already ordered the cams.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I thought that too about multiple Stangs I've owned lol. Hey you'd know better than anyone. If you want performance NOW then get the cams. If you just want to get it back on the road and have it be reliable throw the stockers back in. And MHS cams plus degree service plus the TFS gear is what these days like $800? $800 for 30rwhp and another 700rpm to the redline is a REALLY good bang for the buck. What with ppl spending damn near that much on a TB/Plenum/CAI/Pulley bolt on setup and getting a whole 0 hp.

Sluggie24

Established Member
I gave in to the temptation and ordered the stage 2 cams and degree service.

I figured since he's getting a built tranny and better converter might as well add some power to take advantage of it...

Rolltide1006

Established Member
I gave in to the temptation and ordered the stage 2 cams and degree service.

I figured since he's getting a built tranny and better converter might as well add some power to take advantage of it...

You will be happy with it. So will the boy . Makes 3rd gear pulls on the interstate so much fun :)

Sluggie24

Established Member
I'm probavly gonna get supercharger cams from them for my car also down the road. Have to build my bottom end first though since my power is already on the edge according to my tuner.

If I keep spending $ on his car I don't think I'll ever build this teksid block I have sitting in my garage for my car. lol

Rolltide1006

Established Member
I'm probavly gonna get supercharger cams from them for my car also down the road. Have to build my bottom end first though since my power is already on the edge according to my tuner.

If I keep spending $ on his car I don't think I'll ever build this teksid block I have sitting in my garage for my car. lol

Lol put the boy to work to build his car from now on.

Sluggie24

Established Member
I'm using all this to teach him. He's doing it with me to learn. I already had him do the tear down of the trans although I helped with some tricky parts. I'll have him do a bunch of the cams/chains as well.

Users who are viewing this thread