which ceramic coating?

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Since there seems to be more and more now days what is everyone using? These are the two I'm between.

C quartz, WG uber ceramic

I've heard the Wolfgang is very easy to apply and seems to be liked over at autogeek. I know the c quartz has the regular and the finest. But since I'll be doing it myself it would only be the regular. What's your experience with what and how do you like it?

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
If this is your first time/experience with a coating, I would go with the WG Uber. Just my opinion, I feel that this would be easier for you than the CQ.

I feel that you would be happy with the results/looks/protection of either one.

Hope this helped a little!

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I went with the Mckee's 37 coating. Very easy to apply and so far, it's handling being covered in salt for over a month very well.

Plus, it is a LOT less expensive than the WG uber and you can easily do 2-3 SUV's with the small bottle.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
What is this ceramic coating I keep hearing about? Is it just a high tech wax type product?

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
What is this ceramic coating I keep hearing about? Is it just a high tech wax type product?

In a nutshell: it is a hard wearing, aftermarket, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H) and chemical etching from environmental impacts. They are also extremely hydrophobic. (repel water exceptionally)

It is not a wax. Think of it as additional clear coat for your paint.

Hope this helped!

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
In a nutshell: it is a hard wearing, aftermarket, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H) and chemical etching from environmental impacts. They are also extremely hydrophobic. (repel water exceptionally)

It is not a wax. Think of it as additional clear coat for your paint.

Hope this helped!

How long does it last? How's it applied? Thanks!

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
How long does it last? How's it applied? Thanks!

Consumer grade: minimum 1-2 years with proper maintenance. High end/pro: 2-7 years advertised durability with proper maintenance.

I've had them last 2+ years now on my daily...

Application: They are liquid, and usually either applied with a foam block and suede microfiber cloth or they can be sprayed on.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I've used the C quartz UK edition with great results. It was pretty easy to apply. As with anything else, the proper prep work helps with the end result. It has lasted me 2 years with proper maintenance. Looks just as good as any wax on the cars I have done it to.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I haven't used either of those types, but for the RS I did Opticoat. For the price and how incredibly easy it was to apply, I'm happy with it.

I can't comment on longevity.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I had my '16 Ram Sport 4X4, regular cab done back in mid May.
All professionally done as that's the only way to have the Cquartz Finest applied. You cannot buy Cquartz Finest unless you are a certified and signed professional detailer by CarPros.
I've had it one truck almost a year now and the truck still cleans super easy, repels water and snow so very well and the truck stays really bright. (My truck is a Bright White, which is how I ordered it.)
I use RELOAD on it after every other wash, when I can hand wash the truck. During the winter months, I go through the touchless car wash and get the undercarriage sprayed as well.
I highly recommend a ceramic coating.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I have not done that much research on ceramic coating because I have a hard time buying it will last 5+ years. I just can't see this. I do know it is supposedly hard to put on, whatever that means.

I stick to my once a year Klasse sealant glaze topped with something.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
I have not done that much research on ceramic coating because I have a hard time buying it will last 5+ years. I just can't see this. I do know it is supposedly hard to put on, whatever that means.

I stick to my once a year Klasse sealant glaze topped with something.

I used the Klasse Sealant glaze on the 2014 gt I had. I also topped it with griot's carnuba wax at the time and it really made it pop and lasted forever since I only drove the car in the summer

Stang Lover

Established Member
I had my '16 Ram Sport 4X4, regular cab done back in mid May.
All professionally done as that's the only way to have the Cquartz Finest applied. You cannot buy Cquartz Finest unless you are a certified and signed professional detailer by CarPros.
I've had it one truck almost a year now and the truck still cleans super easy, repels water and snow so very well and the truck stays really bright. (My truck is a Bright White, which is how I ordered it.)
I use RELOAD on it after every other wash, when I can hand wash the truck. During the winter months, I go through the touchless car wash and get the undercarriage sprayed as well.
I highly recommend a ceramic coating.

Actually you don't need to be a dealer to buy cquartz. I asked my detailer the same question last time I was at his house.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Actually you don't need to be a dealer to buy cquartz. I asked my detailer the same question last time I was at his house.
You do with Cquartz Finest, the other 2 you are able to purchase and use in your driveway/garage. Not so with Cquartz Finest.
There are 3 levels of Cquartz.
Cquartz
Cquartz UK
Cquartz Finest

http://www.cqfinest.com/about/

RRMBrembo

Established Member
You do with Cquartz Finest, the other 2 you are able to purchase and use in your driveway/garage. Not so with Cquartz Finest.
There are 3 levels of Cquartz.
Cquartz
Cquartz UK
Cquartz Finest

http://www.cqfinest.com/about/

True story. A lot of companies that offer these ceramic coatings have various "levels", the top echelon are usually only installed by certified detailers/shops that are approved by the company in order for the X year warranty to hold up. Sometimes the company "mandates" a minimum price for a detailer to apply the warrantied coatings as well.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
True story. A lot of companies that offer these ceramic coatings have various "levels", the top echelon are usually only installed by certified detailers/shops that are approved by the company in order for the X year warranty to hold up. Sometimes the company "mandates" a minimum price for a detailer to apply the warrantied coatings as well.
YUP!
That's why it costs so much money too! lol Mine was 950 bucks, which seems to be the average across these Great States of the U.S.A. But, it is a lot of work too. I dropped the truck off at 8am and it was finished at exactly 6pm, as I was waiting for them to put some finishing touches on the truck and I looked at my watch when completed.
One of the guys there is super friendly, explained some car stuff and showed me around at all the different cars they had there. He said my truck cost about 250 bucks just in products when I was paying for the job well done.
I have a 2 year warranty on mine. He asid if I use RELOAD every once in a while, it helps prolong the life of the Cquartz Finest.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Well....I gave in and bought the WG Uber coating. AG had a good sale (damn all those emails lol)....98 bucks to the door.

I figure my prep will be easy, the paint is flawless already regarding swirls....I was going to wipe it down with Carpro Eraser then apply the coating.

Questions....

How many coats can I put on with the one bottle? AG claims "A single 15cc syringe will coat up to 3 midsize cars".

Will this single 15cc bottle be enough to coat the vehicle (including rims, glass, trim) with 2 consecutive coats? Is there a need for a second coat or should that be avoided? Will it achieve greater depth?

Can I use this product on bare aluminum CCW rims?

Imatk

Established Member
I used the McKee's coating on my wheels, but honestly wasn't / am not impressed.

It seemed to last a few weeks and then it was gone. The wheels were brand new and I did a wipe-down with their surface prep so no possibility for adhesion problems.

I don't know. I've seen so many claims about so many products that just simply haven't been the case in my experience.

For me, if the surface is no longer slick, and no longer beads, then the product has faded and needs to be re-applied.

I can only suspect that a lot of reviews/reviewers use a different methodology to determine longevity.

Currently I use Aquawax 105 on my daily driver and that has definitely proven to be the longest lasting product I've ever used or tried.

Users who are viewing this thread