Which FMIC is better than CX Racing?

Sluggie24

Established Member
I currently have the CX Racing FMIC kit. Purchased it because it was cheap and I didn't like the idea of non intercooled boost. Car is an 04 GT with Vortech V3 Si with 3.33" pulley running 10-11 psi currently. Many bolt ons but engine itself (lower intake, cams, heads, short block)is stock.

I started a long term project of building a forged Teksid block and will be having the PI heads ported with blower cams. I'm not sure if the intercooler will become a bottleneck or not at that point? I already understand my current boost level will drop once the engine breathes better so I will go with a smaller pulley to get it back to the same level or a bit higher.

How is the flow rate of the CX Racing FMIC? Does anyone know if it will cause a flow bottleneck for my combination? What would be a good reasonably priced direct replacement for it that flows better?

Or is it good enough?

nxhappy

Established Member
no bottleneck really. FMIC will drop psi 1-2 pounds regardless ...my custom FMIC did fine, I ran 14 psi through a vortech. you may want to spray some meth to cool down the IATs...IMo that is the best way to cool her down

Sluggie24

Established Member
I bought a Tr1235 from Treadstone.

I was looking at that one. I think I might go with it since it seems it is about the same size, more efficient and flows better. Overkill for my future power level but why not. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaxbusa

Established Member
Look at Treadstone's website and find what you think you need. They have flow and hp ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Sluggie24

Established Member
Look at Treadstone's website and find what you think you need. They have flow and hp ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

The price difference isn't much between the lower rated models and the 1235. If it's overkill I'm thinking that should just make it very efficient for my planned combo and leave me room for possible future blower/boost upgrades down the road should I ever want more power.

I8URLS1

Established Member
Do a TR1245 and don't look back. Fits great and will more than suit your needs. I run a 1245-28 which is massive but it does still fit our cars but had to sacrifice my fog lights lol

tarheels15

Established Member
Do a TR1245 and don't look back. Fits great and will more than suit your needs. I run a 1245-28 which is massive but it does still fit our cars but had to sacrifice my fog lights lol
What intercooler piping did you run with the treadstone intercooler? Do you know if the cxracing intercooler piping like mentioned from the op is compatible with the treadstone intercooler without any modifications?

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
I bought a kit on eBay cut everything up used rubber couplers to hold it all together then had it welded up

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Sluggie24

Established Member
The treadstone 1235 will work with the cx racing piping kit because it's pretty much the same size as the cx racing unit. Larger units may need different parts to fit but someone wouldn't know what until they started fitting everything together.

Cx racing sells all different piping and coupler sizes and shapes on their site to build a custom setup.

I8URLS1

Established Member
What intercooler piping did you run with the treadstone intercooler? Do you know if the cxracing intercooler piping like mentioned from the op is compatible with the treadstone intercooler without any modifications?

Like others have said you can buy a CX racing 3" kit and have something built from that. Mine is all 3.5" which is overkill for most people but I needed it for my setup. Procharger said do 4" if I could but my intercooler has 3.5" inlet/outlet so made no sense to go larger than that.

Users who are viewing this thread