Which Mustang $35k Budget

OSUstang232

Hey guys,

I'm going to buy my midlife crisis car in the spring and I’m looking for advice/feedback. I'm close to 40 and I've had some Mustangs in the past but never been able to buy what I really want because of insurance costs when I was younger and then having kids. My first car was an 86 2.8 Capri, then I had a 2000 3.8 Mustang in college (hence my username) and recently had an 89 GT lowered with full BBK exhaust. I've had Japanese sportbikes (my gauge for fast) and I have a Softail Deluxe now so this Mustang doesn't need to be the fastest most badass Mustang in world. In college I had a chance to ride in a 2000 Cobra R and that will always be the benchmark for any Mustang. That 2000 Cobra R was just amazing because I felt like I was riding in a true street legal race car. I’d like something that can recreate that Cobra R feeling but balance with creature comforts since my wife will want A/C and leather. This will be a sunny weather only car and I plan to keep the car for a long time since I’ve waited 20+ years to get my dream Mustang but resale value would be nice (never know when life changes may force a sale). Below is my list of Mustangs I'm considering but let me know what you think and I’m definitely open to suggestions. I plan to add a full exhaust and lowering springs as my only mods (my Harley has straight pipes so loud is good in my book).

1. GT500

2. Higher mileage 2000 Cobra R (Damn the wife)

3. 11-14 Glass roof GT

4. 11/12 Boss

5. 03/04 Terminator or Mach1

6. Resto mod Fox

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
11-12 500 hundy, TVS swap and enjoy!

FWIW I love the 2000R as well, a buddy of mine used to have one and let me drive it some, incredible car. I would be hard pressed to make a decision between that and a 500 if you found an R in that price range. He's a member here, but doesn't post much @OrigTXCobra

Last edited:

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
image.png
image.png
Glass roof GT is my choice...but I'm a little biased.

What about a nicely resto-modded '65-68? ( I'm also biased on that one )...

OSUstang232

[QUOTE="PaxtonShelby, Glass roof GT is my choice...but I'm a little biased.

What about a nicely resto-modded '65-68? ( I'm also biased on that one )...[/QUOTE]

Those are both very nice cars. How do you think your glass roof will hold up long term? I really like the open feeling that the glass roof adds. I think it's a really under appreciated option on the 2009-14 cars.

I've spend the last 20 years reading about 1979-current Mustangs so I'm comfortable with knowing how to find a good used modern Mustang. I know next to ZERO about 1964-74 Mustangs so it's overwhelming to think about finding a nice used vintage Mustang. let's not talk about the dark years of 75-78.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I've got a few of the cars on your list.
500. 35k will get you into an earlier one. Garage queen low milers pop up quite often.
Terminator. Fun cars! 35 would get you a mint one.
Mach 1. The most underrated car on the list. 25k would get you a nice one!
Just beware of previous hack jobs on the Terminators and the Mach's. They've been around for awhile, shop wisely.
I'd say try to take a ride in a few & see what trips your trigger.
Cooler weather is coming, it'll be a buyers market for awhile.
Have fun with the search.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
A few things.

Can you even get a Cobra R for 35K at any mileage?

I wouldnt personally go for the older Shelby, I'd rather have a Terminator in that case. I suppose it is preference but I dont think they looked good till 13-14. Infact, I wouldnt touch anything between 05-09. I don think the 13-14 Shelby is on the table at that price... you might look at the 12 Boss, see if that interests you.
I had a Mach, they are cool but kind of underpowered to most of what is out there now and doesnt upgrade nearly as easily as a Cobra.

Does it have to be a Mustang? You are in used Z06 and even some Viper territory at that price.

OSUstang232

A few things.

Can you even get a Cobra R for 35K at any mileage?

I wouldnt personally go for the older Shelby, I'd rather have a Terminator in that case. I suppose it is preference but I dont think they looked good till 13-14. Infact, I wouldnt touch anything between 05-09. I don think the 13-14 Shelby is on the table at that price... you might look at the 12 Boss, see if that interests you.
I had a Mach, they are cool but kind of underpowered to most of what is out there now and doesnt upgrade nearly as easily as a Cobra.

Does it have to be a Mustang? You are in used Z06 and even some Viper territory at that price.

I remember seeing 2000 Cobra Rs for 25-35k all day long after the 2008 recession but they seem to have rebounded since then. Every once in a while I'll still see a higher mileage non-mint 2000 R below 40k. Probably a dream to find one in the current market.

The last Corvette I drove was an early C5 and it was not very exciting. I'll have to check out a newer C6 and see what it's like.

OSUstang232

Why not S550 with the auto and a Roush charger on it

Other than the GT350 the S550 doesn't do much for me and the 350 is still more $ than I want to pay for a sunny day car. Also, auto transmissions are for daily drivers and millennial's that never learned how to drive a manual transmission.

Recon

Established Member
You might also consider a tuner Mustang. But out of your list Terminator, then Boss. Or I'd also consider some other cars for mid life crisis. GTO, CTS-V, C6GS, F Body, Challenger, Viper, etc.

Last edited:

TwinScrewSVT

Established Member
Terminator, with a 35k budget you can make it better than the Cobra R. 25k for a lower mileage car, 4K kennel bell with supporting mods, Cobra R brakes and do the Full Tilt Boogie rear end upgrade.

_Snake_

Established Member
The Boss is actually a 2012-13 car, and a 13 Boss is my recommendation. You'd be able to find some really nice ones on your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread