Whipple 170mm Throttle Body issues

2013BlackGT500

So i recently picked up a used whipple throttle body and put it on my 13 GT500 which still has the stock supercharger on it. Then i had lund tune it and the car always has a very high idle after running it hard the rpms go between 1000-1500. Lund cant seem to find anything wrong with the tune, i was wondering if any of you guys have had this issue and what you did to fix it.
Thanks everyone!

beau t

Established Member
could this be a heat issue as in the t/b is swelling when it gets hot not letting the blade close all the way back off, are there any marks on the inside of the t/b that look like it could be rubbing?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like they haven't quite nailed the parameters for that throttle body.

paluka21

Established Member
Sounds like they haven't quite nailed the parameters for that throttle body.

Agreed.

OP, have you completed any data logging or considered doing a dyno tuning session perhaps remote with Lund?
I would like to eventually go with one of these throttle bodies, but was concerned about running into a situation like you're in and the tuner not being able to or work to resolve the driveability issues.

Willie

Established Member
If it were me, I would contact Whipple and ask if their have the ETC Effective Area and Predicted Throttle Angle tables for this TB. If they do, get them and pass them along to your tuner or make the changes yourself if you tune. If they do not, or unwilling to share (most likely the scenario you will encounter), then it's a crap shoot (i.e. "best guess") by your tuner, which is next to impossible to nail.

2013BlackGT500

I have completed data logs and the tuner says he can not find anything that would be a cause of the high Idle. It's weird because the car will idle perfectly fine until it gets hot then the rpms start hanging in the 1000-1500 range.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

paluka21

Established Member
I have completed data logs and the tuner says he can not find anything that would be a cause of the high Idle. It's weird because the car will idle perfectly fine until it gets hot then the rpms start hanging in the 1000-1500 range.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

What Willie said is a good recommendation and should help iron out the tune. If your current tuner can't figure it out and you're bent on keeping the throttle body, may want to talk to another tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread