Whipple 2.9L installed w/ pics!

Dreams2Reality

Established Member
After months of looking at the boxes in the garage, I finally had my 2.9L stage 3 whipple installed!! JDM Engineering (here in NJ) did a great job installing the s/c and tuning the car (thanks JDM!!). Dyno graph is pictured is below. Blue line is peak but the car was dialed back a bit (red line) since the internals are all stock (I did upgrade OPGs and crankshaft gear).
Overall, I love it! I won't go into a lot of detail as others on this board have done a great job recently of providing their thoughts on this kit, but the drive-ability, power and even the whine that this kit provides are great.

I know there are cheaper alternatives to getting similar (or more) power but this car is a long term (i.e. lifetime) keeper and is far from being "done." The dent this supercharger and install put in my wallet will take a while to come out but hopefully in the not to distant future I can upgrade the block, transmission, etc. to handle more power. For now I'll enjoy what I have and start hitting the strip on a semi-regular basis.

I'll post some more photos and videos in the future but here are a couple for now.

Whipple1_zpsngoh7zvh.jpg

Whipple3_zpswb77xnew.jpg

Whipple2_zps3zvgn4ml.jpg

Dyno1_zpsv8l5tciq.jpg

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
wow badass! lov that color. mus be a handful on the street congrats!

jtkz13

Established Member
I'm not a Coyote expert, but is that a normal torque output? My 03 Cobra makes nearly identical rwhp, but 565rwtq. I was just surprised to see the much lower torque on the larger engine and larger SC.

Either way thats great power and your car is frickin awesome looking, love the blue pieces in the engine bay.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Install looks awesome. Really solid HP numbers that will be reliable if you don't beat on it too. Torque does look low though. I figured mid 500's would be where it sat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I have to ask, whats up with the boost? Do these have a lot of slip due to the 6 rib? Looks like your gaining and losing 2-3 psi throughout the run.

Dreams2Reality

Established Member
wow badass! lov that color. mus be a handful on the street congrats!

Congrats! That's a super clean install and made plenty of power!

Looks great!

Thanks for the comments! I am very happy with how the install turned out. As for the color, I've always like the Ford "textured" blue and I was thrilled that whipple offered this color with its kit.

I'm not a Coyote expert, but is that a normal torque output? My 03 Cobra makes nearly identical rwhp, but 565rwtq. I was just surprised to see the much lower torque on the larger engine and larger SC.

Either way thats great power and your car is frickin awesome looking, love the blue pieces in the engine bay.

Install looks awesome. Really solid HP numbers that will be reliable if you don't beat on it too. Torque does look low though. I figured mid 500's would be where it sat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome car! But I do agree... numbers look low, especially at those boost levels.

I agree, my initial thought was that the TQ numbers looked low, but after driving the car i'm not too concerned about it. The car has plenty of power and the real tests will be at the strip. If another local shop is having a dyno day or something, I may take it to see what kind of numbers a different dyno says but given the stock internals, I'm okay with where things are.

I have to ask, whats up with the boost? Do these have a lot of slip due to the 6 rib? Looks like your gaining and losing 2-3 psi throughout the run.

Great question. I'll be reaching out to JDM next week with a couple of questions and this is one of them.

rustang1

Established Member
What pulley are you running and what kind of exhaust ?
Something is off with that boost number.

Last edited:

Dreams2Reality

Established Member
Best looking FI option out there. Great choice! Be safe.

Obviously I agree with you and thanks!

What pulley are you running and what kind of exhaust ?
Something is off with that boost number.

3.750, Dynatech longtube hearders, hi-flow X, GT500 mufflers

The times that I've really gotten into the boost and have glanced over at the boost gauge it has been around 10 but I haven't had a chance to go full throttle for a long distance through all the gears yet. Also, I don't feel the up and down boost pressure that the dyno sheet indicates. I'll find out what's up with the boost line from the dyno on Monday.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Love the whipples... looks great and is a solid foundation for A LOT more if/when you want it.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice. Love the textured blue on the Whipple and the coil covers. Looks great. 633rwhp is about the max safe point on our Coyotes.
Did you use the Whipple canned tune or JDM's custom dyno tuning?
Are you running E85 or 93 octane?

rustang1

Established Member
Obviously I agree with you and thanks!

3.750, Dynatech longtube hearders, hi-flow X, GT500 mufflers

The times that I've really gotten into the boost and have glanced over at the boost gauge it has been around 10 but I haven't had a chance to go full throttle for a long distance through all the gears yet. Also, I don't feel the up and down boost pressure that the dyno sheet indicates. I'll find out what's up with the boost line from the dyno on Monday.

With a 3.75 pulley you are around 10-11 psi depending on max rpm.
Either the boost gauge was bad or the dyno software was bad.

Are you ready to swap the 3:73's yet?

(what's a "hearder?) ;)

Dreams2Reality

Established Member
Very nice. Love the textured blue on the Whipple and the coil covers. Looks great. 633rwhp is about the max safe point on our Coyotes.
Did you use the Whipple canned tune or JDM's custom dyno tuning?
Are you running E85 or 93 octane?

JDM custom dyno tune, 93 octane

With a 3.75 pulley you are around 10-11 psi depending on max rpm.
Either the boost gauge was bad or the dyno software was bad.

Are you ready to swap the 3:73's yet?

(what's a "hearder?) ;)

I'll probably swap out the 3:73s sometime in the future, but living with them for now

And, "hearder" is how you spell header when you have two toddlers crawling all over you while you type;)

bg302

Established Member
Looks good, especially the blue to match. I installed my 2.9 kit 2 months ago but my tuner is having issues (on his end) getting it tuned right. Are you using the Bosch 58# injectors that came with the kit? My tuner had me change those out for the ID 1050x injectors but haven't tuned since then. He had it close at one point but has a slight miss.

Dreams2Reality

Established Member

According to JDM, here is the reason for the fluctuating boost number: "The boost jumps around because of the variable cams in these motors. When the cams are moving it changes load so the boost isn’t linear. It’s going to fluctuate 2-3 psi through out the run like you noticed. As you get higher in RPM the back pressure builds and the boost spikes. Older engines with out variable cam timing you’ll see the boost curve hold more steady."

This makes sense to me but it's something I want to research more; In general, I need to improve my level of knowledge on these engines

Love the whipples... looks great and is a solid foundation for A LOT more if/when you want it.

Thanks! And, that's why I love these whipple kits....they look great and are large enough to support much higher HP applications down the road

Looks good, especially the blue to match. I installed my 2.9 kit 2 months ago but my tuner is having issues (on his end) getting it tuned right. Are you using the Bosch 58# injectors that came with the kit? My tuner had me change those out for the ID 1050x injectors but haven't tuned since then. He had it close at one point but has a slight miss.

I'm using the injectors that came with kit....hope your tuner figures everything out soon.

Congrats! Looks great!

Thanks!

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
According to JDM, here is the reason for the fluctuating boost number: "The boost jumps around because of the variable cams in these motors. When the cams are moving it changes load so the boost isn’t linear. It’s going to fluctuate 2-3 psi through out the run like you noticed. As you get higher in RPM the back pressure builds and the boost spikes. Older engines with out variable cam timing you’ll see the boost curve hold more steady."

This makes sense to me but it's something I want to research more; In general, I need to improve my level of knowledge on these engines

Thanks! And, that's why I love these whipple kits....they look great and are large enough to support much higher HP applications down the road

I'm using the injectors that came with kit....hope your tuner figures everything out soon.

Thanks!

Interesting, sounds logical to me I wouldn't have thought of that. I don't follow the newer engines as much, learned something new today. Think I should do some reading as well, feel like I'm cheating on my 4v drooling over the new stuff haha. Thanks for following up, good luck with her!

Users who are viewing this thread