Whipple's NEW 4.5L 275AX 07-2014 GT500 Supercharger

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmmm, the fact that a stock hood can be made to fit may have changed many plans for me, I really didn't want to change hoods.
What part of the blower ends up needing the most clearance? Front or back?
Changing the fuel rails to eliminate that crossover may help significantly?
-J

tomshaze

Established Member
For a street car on pump gas with stock internals, yes a 3.4L probably would be the better choice. Or even a 2.9L. But, a lot of us purchase parts/blowers to go beyond pump gas, and allow us to make more power down the road without having to upgrade again.

I thought for sure my 2.9L would be more than enough. Then I hit its limit and I still wanted more. I want a blower that has the potential to take me beyond my current goal. Something to grow into if I choose.

Even my over-spun 2.9L had the same boost curve as an under-spun 2.9L (as far as curve shape vs RPM), so big pulley sizes don't make these blowers lazy. However, this 4.5L is new, so I guess we'll see what the boost/hp curves look like at different levels as people run them.

This is why I bought the 4.5

tomshaze

Established Member
That is correct right now it feels really lazy
But it's only pushing 14 psi up top and 10 down low so it's so laggy u can feel it

when I get the 4.5 pulley and push about 18 or 19 up top
I will be pushing about 14 to 15 down low and then slowly increas

But the car will have a lot more get up and go with 14 psi down low
And get to the high rpm a low faster then it does now

Also what u want all that power down low in the rpms it's not like we are driving awd cars all it's gunna do it start to spins with to much torque

If u want more power down low just use race gas with a smaller pulley and problem solved if not be happy at 18 psi

It would drop boost about 2 psi so ad a 4.25 pulley and the Whipple will reall start to get in it's sweet spot and that this point it will pull away so hard from all other blowers

This is the reasons I gave myself to get a 4.5

Also I expiermeneted with the Tvs for a long time tried all different pulley combos and the fastest I could get the car was at 16 psi and that pissed me off more boost and the car would get slower cuz the iats would rise in this Texas heat
Not only that but blowing oil pumps due to lower pulleys and getting scammed on a previous 3.4 Whipple I bought on here which I got my money back on thanks to god.

Then I told myself go big or just go home angle that's is why I bought a 4.5 Whipple :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but would not a 3.4L Whipple be the better size on a streetable pump gas car with stock internals?

Reason being is that the compressor would be at it's optimum about 1000-1500 rpm before redline, thus boost would be earlier in the RPM range, better torque but at the expense of higher IAT2 & PEAK hp.

The 4.5 is just coasting at rod busting engine RPM. Must feel a bit like a turbo but without the lag.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Glad to hear you got the money back, that was definitely BS.
Looking forward to your updates with the smaller pulley.
-J

mike69440

Established Member
Eaton heat

Also what u want all that power down low in the rpms it's not like we are driving awd cars all it's gunna do it start to spins with to much torque

This is the reasons I gave myself to get a 4.5

Also I expiermeneted with the Tvs for a long time tried all different pulley combos and the fastest I could get the car was at 16 psi and that pissed me off more boost and the car would get slower cuz the iats would rise in this Texas heat
Then I told myself go big or just go home angle that's is why I bought a 4.5 Whipple :)

reply:
People who have not changed over to an axial screw compressor, I.e. Twin Screw, cannot appreciate how much less heat soak you experience vs. when pushing a Twin Screw blower vs. an Eaton.

The TVS is a big improvement over my 03's Eaton but so is the new big Whipple over my tiny 2.3L. (I wish I had a 2.9L, so I fall for the bigger is better theory also)

Still aside form a bigger HE with fans and Radiator, my Whipple makes very little heat to start with vs, the factory 1.8L Heaton.

In Cold air before the blower got hot, torque was close; Eaton to Whipple, but as the temp went up the performance went down with the Eaton and the power just flattened or worse.

The Whipple likes cold air too, but heat does not bother it near as much.

For anyone considering a new blower, I think what you will like the most is
1. HP just goes up and up with RPM, nearly in a straight line.

2. No need to make excuses when the temps go in the 90's.

I appreciate you keeping us informed regarding the incredible 4.5L

Last edited:

tomshaze

Established Member
Just got the 4.5 pulley yesterday and installed it got timing to 17 degrees and Went for the datalog in the morning today

Car feels a lot better driving like it did with the Tvs except no bucking just nice and powerful

I did a 3rd and 4th pulley and recorded everything

Psi starts at 15psi which a world of difference from the previous 10 psi starting point

So it starts there stabilizes and then rpms hits 5000 and it starts to rize hits a peak of exactly 18 psi at 6500 rpm

Looking at the datalog the car is safe

Max afr is 11.5 but it's tuned for lower

So I noticed at exactly 6000 rpm the afr starts to lean a little and I got .5 dee frees of knock

So my Bosch 72 lbs injectors start to max out when the blower hits 17 psi
Took the Tvs 21 lbs to do that but the Tvs was pitifully slow at 21 psi it was faster at 16psi

So there u go this Whipple needs minimum of 17psi to wake up

I'm thinking of getting bigger injectors injecting more meth keeping timing the same and going up a pound or 2 and adding a 148jlt and then the car will be maxed out with its stock short block

So far I love the Whipple I can say one thing though the car is the same speed as it was before between 3500 and 5500 rpm but them the Whipple starts to just blow the Tvs doors after that and I can't wait to see what it will pull like with 20 psi yea I think the internals will take it

Well that's all for now thanks a lot svt

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice, so minimum 80#s but they make nice bigger sizes now.
Do you plan on dyno? track?
-J

mike69440

Established Member
I see where this is going.

Just got the 4.5 pulley yesterday and installed it got timing to 17 degrees and Went for the datalog in the morning today

Car feels a lot better driving like it did with the Tvs except no bucking just nice and powerful

I did a 3rd and 4th pulley and recorded everything

Psi starts at 15psi which a world of difference from the previous 10 psi starting point

So it starts there stabilizes and then rpms hits 5000 and it starts to rize hits a peak of exactly 18 psi at 6500 rpm

Looking at the datalog the car is safe

Max afr is 11.5 but it's tuned for lower

So I noticed at exactly 6000 rpm the afr starts to lean a little and I got .5 dee frees of knock

So my Bosch 72 lbs injectors start to max out when the blower hits 17 psi
Took the Tvs 21 lbs to do that but the Tvs was pitifully slow at 21 psi it was faster at 16psi

So there u go this Whipple needs minimum of 17psi to wake up

I'm thinking of getting bigger injectors injecting more meth keeping timing the same and going up a pound or 2 and adding a 148jlt and then the car will be maxed out with its stock short block

So far I love the Whipple I can say one thing though the car is the same speed as it was before between 3500 and 5500 rpm but them the Whipple starts to just blow the Tvs doors after that and I can't wait to see what it will pull like with 20 psi yea I think the internals will take it

Well that's all for now thanks a lot svt

So I see where this is going.
From what I can see, aside from curb appeal when you pop the hood, that big Whipple is too big for a street / stock internals, pump gas car.

So the only logical thing to do now is go for a built Meth or E85 Fueled 4 figure RWHP just crazy car.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
So I see where this is going.
From what I can see, aside from curb appeal when you pop the hood, that big Whipple is too big for a / stock internals, pump gas car.

So the only logical thing to do now is go for a built Meth or E85 Fueled 4 figure RWHP just crazy car.

I took it as it will handle street/pump gas duty just fine with about 600-800 more hp left in it.

Lightnin440

Established Member
How's WOT throttle response?? Come on pretty decent provided you're at the aforementioned 18psi?? I am debating what blower to attempt next after I go cams/long tubes, e85 on my 2.9 (anxious to see just how she'll do since I haven't seen many attempt it) and then thinking 4.5 for my next build.

Last edited:

Lightnin440

Established Member
Mainly just most curious as to what the IAT's are at with that compressor...I would hope considerably lower than the 4.0, etc...anyone able to chime in on that by chance??

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Mainly just most curious as to what the IAT's are at with that compressor...I would hope considerably lower than the 4.0, etc...anyone able to chime in on that by chance??

Lethal went from the 4.0 to the 4.5, maybe they could give you some insight on the IAT differences.

tomshaze

Established Member

Update I cracked my f*^king crank

After the datalog the car was sill going good and I took my friend for a spin and it felt a little bit slower and the car starting throwing a check engine code and running rough and it keep dieing I would put it in gear to get it to start

Get to his house and get a p0340 and p0320 tow it home

Just cranks won't start crank it for 2 days hopeikg it starts it sputters I get hope and throw a last back fire just a tiny one nothing big

The crank just snapped and the supercharger is no longer spinning when I put the key forward just the fly wheel and dam yes it's now time to build the engine what do I have to do to make sure this never happens again ?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Check your supercharger and make sure it spins. Make sure all the pullets spin freely. I kind of suspect something else caused this to fail. You weren't spinning that blower very hard at all, so it's unlikely that was the cause.

These cranks are the same as used in the 08 cobra jets, so they're pretty proven. But crank failures aren't unheard of either.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Now that I look at that closer, where's the bolt? Can we get a pic of the front of that pulley? It doesn't appear to be pressed on all the way.

tomshaze

Established Member
Has to be the Whipple yes it was pressed in all the way

And I suspect it was the Whipple cuz the Whipple is heavy to spin compared to Tvs ether way I'm sad but

What cranks do they sell that are more stout other then this crank with double keyway

Check your supercharger and make sure it spins. Make sure all the pullets spin freely. I kind of suspect something else caused this to fail. You weren't spinning that blower very hard at all, so it's unlikely that was the cause.

These cranks are the same as used in the 08 cobra jets, so they're pretty proven. But crank failures aren't unheard of either.

Users who are viewing this thread