Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

mr2cam

Established Member
And here are my OC results:

4.7Ghz @ 1.3V
View attachment 84960
4.8Ghz @ 1.34V
View attachment 84961

Unfortunately, that's the fastest she is with stability. I did OC to 5.0Ghz just for shits and giggles, and while it did produce an awesome Cinebench score, it failed the OCCT stress test within three seconds. Now onto a de-lid to reign in these temperatures a bit.

I had a very similar result with my friends 7600k i5. De-lidding will help a ton and you should be able to push more voltage through that 7700k without temps going crazy. You can actually buy a delidding tool on amazon, it looks pretty easy, I might do that to my 6700k at some point.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I had a very similar result with my friends 7600k i5. De-lidding will help a ton and you should be able to push more voltage through that 7700k without temps going crazy. You can actually buy a delidding tool on amazon, it looks pretty easy, I might do that to my 6700k at some point.

At this point in my existence, I'm not willing to trash a $300+ processor to try an otherwise $50 process on my own. Lol

But let me ask you; what would the delid have to do with introducing more voltage? Did you mean MHz/GHz? Because it's currently clocked to 4.8GHz at 1.3V, the max voltage you recommended for a 24/7 OC.

jacker1991

Established Member
At this point in my existence, I'm not willing to trash a $300+ processor to try an otherwise $50 process on my own. Lol

But let me ask you; what would the delid have to do with introducing more voltage? Did you mean MHz/GHz? Because it's currently clocked to 4.8GHz at 1.3V, the max voltage you recommended for a 24/7 OC.

TEMPY.png

Even if you won't up the voltage it is a worthwhile endeavor as it will reward you with much lower temps. Added benefit of being able to push your OC even higher if you were willing to up to voltage closer to 1.4. I think 4.8GHz is pretty respectable, but some people like to see that 5.0 (pun intended). LOLS! :D

P.S. This is all possible because Intel is a PoS who uses cat shit for thermal paste even in their high-end processors, MFers.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I honestly just don't understand voltage enough. My motherboard said its max was 1.5 something, but it didn't specify if its 1.5x max or 1.5x for an extended period of time.

Personally, I'd love to see 5GHz!

quad

Established Member
I honestly just don't understand voltage enough. My motherboard said its max was 1.5 something, but it didn't specify if its 1.5x max or 1.5x for an extended period of time.

Personally, I'd love to see 5GHz!
Did you order this? Looks pretty easy. Keep us posted on your results.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Did you order this? Looks pretty easy. Keep us posted on your results.

Negative. I removed my CPU and shipped it to Silicon Lottery in Texas to let them handle the delid and all that good stuff. I don't have a $300+ steady hand to try any of this myself. Lol

quad

Established Member
Negative. I removed my CPU and shipped it to Silicon Lottery in Texas to let them handle the delid and all that good stuff. I don't have a $300+ steady hand to try any of this myself. Lol
Ok.

Kiohtee

Established Member
But nonetheless, I'll keep y'all updated as I do have some before temps. I'm looking for a 4.9/5.0GHz OC at 1.35V or less with stress temps in the mid to upper 60s.

mr2cam

Established Member

My rule for older processors was 1.35, but it seems like Kaby Lake has been able to handle the extra voltage without issue, so if temps are ok I wouldn't mind running as much as 1.40 volts on a newer kaby lake

Kiohtee

Established Member
My rule for older processors was 1.35, but it seems like Kaby Lake has been able to handle the extra voltage without issue, so if temps are ok I wouldn't mind running as much as 1.40 volts on a newer kaby lake

I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks man.

Kiohtee

Established Member
@mr2cam: I've seen that before. Love me some Bitwit.

In other news, my i7-7700K has appeared to have gone missing in shipment. I paid for it to be shipped overnight to SL and the last update I have is it leaving the local post office. SL has also confirmed they do not have it.

Good thing the shipping is refundable since they didn't meet their one day guarantee and that I insured the bastard for full purchase price. Still though; ugh.

jacker1991

Established Member
Sucks to hear that man. :(

Bitwit is a pretty cool guy. With that said, if you guys want a more experienced PC guy that does water-cooling here he is. He has helped other youtubers (Bitwit included) with their custom water loops.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I'm noticing on a lot of these custom builds that a lot of people are leaving out the optical drive all together. Except for the CD that my wedding photos came on, I can't think of the last time I used my disc drive. Are most of you guys excluding it? I can say that it makes for a much cleaner looking rig with a ton more room for things like radiators and the like.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Sucks to hear that man. :(

Bitwit is a pretty cool guy. With that said, if you guys want a more experienced PC guy that does water-cooling here he is. He has helped other youtubers (Bitwit included) with their custom water loops.

YT video

Love me some JTC as well! But for some good news: My CPU hasn't been lost or stolen, but the USPS must have really messed up and mailed it by truck because as of 6:30 this morning it was in North Houston. Oh well, at least I'll be 100% refunded due to their guarantee/mess up!

I'm noticing on a lot of these custom builds that a lot of people are leaving out the optical drive all together. Except for the CD that my wedding photos came on, I can't think of the last time I used my disc drive. Are most of you guys excluding it? I can say that it makes for a much cleaner looking rig with a ton more room for things like radiators and the like.

This is something I'm actually pretty excited to address. I'll upload a picture of my external optical drive when I get home. External, hidden and 100% functional.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
It took my 2nd try to delid an original ps3 cpu and gpu. I burned $100 bucks because i got impatient and angry and destroyed it.
My 2nd try was successful, it was hard, it took about 2 hours for each unit (the original fat 60gb ps3 has the cpu and gpu next to each other).

I used painter tools from amazon and a baking blow torch to heat up the painter tool to slide under the lid. I wouldnt have done it myself on a $300 cpu.

mr2cam

Established Member

I havn't run an optical drive in about 4 years, most everything is now downloaded and run off a thumb drive, including my purchase of windows. Thre are some things that you might need an optical drive for, that is why I have an external that has about 5 inches of dust stacked on top of it

Kiohtee

Established Member
It took my 2nd try to delid an original ps3 cpu and gpu. I burned $100 bucks because i got impatient and angry and destroyed it.
My 2nd try was successful, it was hard, it took about 2 hours for each unit (the original fat 60gb ps3 has the cpu and gpu next to each other).

I used painter tools from amazon and a baking blow torch to heat up the painter tool to slide under the lid. I wouldnt have done it myself on a $300 cpu.

Exactly why I am perfectly fine with spending $74 (after shipping) to have a professional do it. I even went so far as to call the reputable PC shops within 50 miles of my house to offer them the business first, but none of them felt comfortable doing it either.

Also, let me open a can of worms here and say this; CPU bottle-necking is a very real thing in gaming, even with a modern i5. I remember a lot of people telling me it was something blown way out of proportion, but having experienced it firsthand, I'm a believer now.

My experience comes from rocking my old system while waiting for my 7700K to be returned. Playing GTA V last night, I was going from 90FPS to as low as 45FPS because my old i5-6400 was maxed out while the GPU (a STRIX 1070) was sitting at around 50%. Yikes.

mr2cam

Established Member
Exactly why I am perfectly fine with spending $74 (after shipping) to have a professional do it. I even went so far as to call the reputable PC shops within 50 miles of my house to offer them the business first, but none of them felt comfortable doing it either.

Also, let me open a can of worms here and say this; CPU bottle-necking is a very real thing in gaming, even with a modern i5. I remember a lot of people telling me it was something blown way out of proportion, but having experienced it firsthand, I'm a believer now.

My experience comes from rocking my old system while waiting for my 7700K to be returned. Playing GTA V last night, I was going from 90FPS to as low as 45FPS because my old i5-6400 was maxed out while the GPU (a STRIX 1070) was sitting at around 50%. Yikes.

I'm guessing that was playing at 1080p?

Users who are viewing this thread