Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Is that the Thermaltake View 71? If so, what do you think about having a glass panel for the cable management side? Seems odd to me.

I am looking to update my personal build and I am wanting a watercooling friendly case with good airflow to get cool air in and hot air out. Had my mind on the Phanteks Enthoo Primo, but that case is getting old. Recently worked in the Dark Base Pro 900 and it was an alright case in my opinion. I was also looking at the Lian Li PC-O11.

Here is the case I used:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/crystal-series-570x-rgb-atx-mid-tower-case

Yeah, it's pretty busy on the other side. I will take a picture of it tonight and post. The Phanteks Enthoo Primo is a really nice case, I already had a side view case and when I saw the Corsair I thought "why not?"

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
IMG_7207-A.jpg

It's pretty busy...LOL

E

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Right now, of Fallout 4 "Ultra settings" one card is at 58 C, and the other card is at 62 C (proof that SLI isn't exactly balanced).

I could be wrong, but I've always heard that in an SLI set-up, the top card is always going to run a few degrees hotter just based off the radiant heat from the card below.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
I could be wrong, but I've always heard that in an SLI set-up, the top card is always going to run a few degrees hotter just based off the radiant heat from the card below.
As I have been running the games through their paces it looks like the top card does more work than the bottom, "depending on the game". The monitor is plugged into the top card.

Yeah, the top card does get hotter, but it is within 10 seconds of the game starting so I am thinking that card is doing more work.

Watching the fan speeds on each card it is the same except the fans stay slow longer. Then the top card ramps up, then the bottom card ramps up.

E

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Good morning guys. I went ahead and searched to find this thread because i need some help. I Borrowed a buddy at work's monitor over the weekend and i am in love with it. Here is his monitor. I brought it back today. Id like to buy a 2k monitor and i decided id like this one.

Can someone recommend a video card to handle 2k gaming with EASE. My 970 just cant handle it well. I have no price limit. If i need a more expensive video card then ill just have to wait longer for the purchase. I'll just keep rocking my 970.

Edit* I do have a dual monitor set up but id like to have that one 2k Acer monitor and i will retain my old 2011 pos 21" for my left/second screen. I would like you guys to recommend card with that in mind and also recommend a card to run two 2k monitors like linked. Id only be gaming on one. I only run discord, steam friends and a cpu temp app on the other monitor while im playing.

I assume my processor is enough. Correct me if im wrong.

Here's my current specs if it helps:
w10 home 64bit
crucial ballisctix sport 16gm ram ddr4 1600 mt/s
msi geforce 4gb 256-bit gddr5 video card
asus m5a99fx pro r.20 am3+ amd 99fx sata 6gb/s usb 3.0 etc mother board
Western Digital 1tb sata 6gb/s 7200 hard drive
sabrent 74-in-1 3.5" internal flash media card reader/writer
LG electronics 14x internal BDXL blu-ray burner rewriter
nexus rx-1.1k 1100 wat 80 plus inaudible 15db power supply
nanoxia deep silence 1 mid tower case
creative sound blaster Zx PCIe gaming sound card
AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX series 8 core black edition
Samsung evo 250gb ssd

This is for playing PUBG better. I only play CSS and a tiny bit of gtav which they run fine with the 2k monitor. It seems PUBG is hard to run plus it isnt optimized well yet.

Last edited:

helloWorld

Established Member
If you want, I have a bios modded gtx 980 that ran games alright at 2k resolution. I believe it ran Doom (2016) maxed out at 2k at least 110 fps.

sonicboom141

I want a cobra!
Established Member
Building a new mini pc for home . Just got this stuff in the mail.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv iTX Case
Corsair RM650x fully modular power supply
ASUS ROG Strix Z270l Motherboard
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500gb
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3000
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC
Intel Core i7 6700K

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
My rigs been sitting in a box for like a year and a half. I meant to watercool and set up a RAID 0+1 config because I have a bunch of the Samsung Evo 256gb SSD's and never got around to it.

Is a 980 Ti still relevant for running games in 1080 in high settings? I don't care for 4K gaming. Otherwise I'm running an i7-2600k.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
My gaming rig had a 980ti and it could destroy pretty much anything I could throw at it. Think the only game I couldn't play at the ultra max was Skyrim but I never tried o/c my system either.

mr2cam

Established Member
Good morning guys. I went ahead and searched to find this thread because i need some help. I Borrowed a buddy at work's monitor over the weekend and i am in love with it. Here is his monitor. I brought it back today. Id like to buy a 2k monitor and i decided id like this one.

Can someone recommend a video card to handle 2k gaming with EASE. My 970 just cant handle it well. I have no price limit. If i need a more expensive video card then ill just have to wait longer for the purchase. I'll just keep rocking my 970.

Edit* I do have a dual monitor set up but id like to have that one 2k Acer monitor and i will retain my old 2011 pos 21" for my left/second screen. I would like you guys to recommend card with that in mind and also recommend a card to run two 2k monitors like linked. Id only be gaming on one. I only run discord, steam friends and a cpu temp app on the other monitor while im playing.

I assume my processor is enough. Correct me if im wrong.

Here's my current specs if it helps:
w10 home 64bit
crucial ballisctix sport 16gm ram ddr4 1600 mt/s
msi geforce 4gb 256-bit gddr5 video card
asus m5a99fx pro r.20 am3+ amd 99fx sata 6gb/s usb 3.0 etc mother board
Western Digital 1tb sata 6gb/s 7200 hard drive
sabrent 74-in-1 3.5" internal flash media card reader/writer
LG electronics 14x internal BDXL blu-ray burner rewriter
nexus rx-1.1k 1100 wat 80 plus inaudible 15db power supply
nanoxia deep silence 1 mid tower case
creative sound blaster Zx PCIe gaming sound card
AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX series 8 core black edition
Samsung evo 250gb ssd

This is for playing PUBG better. I only play CSS and a tiny bit of gtav which they run fine with the 2k monitor. It seems PUBG is hard to run plus it isnt optimized well yet.

If you have no price limit then 1080ti would be my suggestion, I play every game at 1440p with no problems, pubg im constantly averaging over 100fps.

Kiohtee

Established Member
If you can't or don't want to swing a 1080Ti, look into a lightly/gently (i.e. not mined to hell) GTX 1070/1080.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I researched the 1080 ti cards. For some reason, the couple i found yesterday were $1100-$1300. I now see them for $800. That's doable. Thanks for the help. From watching benchmarkings, they arent that great for some AAA tiles in 4k but for 2k 144hz, i should be fine with a 1080 ti. I'm not sure when ill order one.

edit* the $810 versions are sold out. All I see are some for $1000 or more.

Jmurrz

Established Member
I researched the 1080 ti cards. For some reason, the couple i found yesterday were $1100-$1300. I now see them for $800. That's doable. Thanks for the help. From watching benchmarkings, they arent that great for some AAA tiles in 4k but for 2k 144hz, i should be fine with a 1080 ti. I'm not sure when ill order one.

edit* the $810 versions are sold out. All I see are some for $1000 or more.
I have a strix 1080ti and it was ~850 when I bought it. You should be able to find it on Amazon. Highly recommend the strix. I have it overclocked to 2088mhz core clock. Rarely sees over 73C. Runs PUBG all dialed up on ultra 4k at more than 70fps. I am sure it would do higher but my monitor will only OC TO 71HZ.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Jmurrz

Established Member
I have a strix 1080ti and it was ~850 when I bought it. You should be able to find it on Amazon. Highly recommend the strix. I have it overclocked to 2088mhz core clock. Rarely sees over 73C. Runs PUBG all dialed up on ultra 4k at more than 70fps. I am sure it would do higher but my monitor will only OC TO 71HZ.

Amazon is sold out but here it is from B&H
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bh..._gtx1080ti_o11g_geforce_gtx_1080_ti.html/amp/

helloWorld

Established Member
I got my Evga FTW3 1080ti off of ebay for like $775 shipped. I love fps games, so I prefer high refresh rate at 2k vs playing at 4k. The 1080ti takes all of the latest games maxed out at 2k at over 100 fps. Doom 2016 it easily hits the engine 200 fps max. Prey maxed out with a graphics/lighting mod is usually over 100 fps. CS:GO of course is usually 300 to 400 fps average.

Users who are viewing this thread