Who is Tempted?

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Well Lethal is having their big sale this month and I so badly want a S/C kit for the GT350! Having 15% off a complete kit is huge no doubt but still over $7k..I have a couple days to think about this, since I am undecided on a Vortech or Whipple? Who else here wants to or has taken advantage of this sale?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'm not tempted. I don't want to go down the mod road again with my R. I've dropped way too much money in mods into my GT500. I just can't stomach doing that again. At least, not while I still have my GT500. If I only had the R, maybe. For now, if I'm itching for mods, I'll just continue doing it to the GT500.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your logic, Derrick, makes perfect sense. If I had both a GT-500 and a GT-350, there is no way I'd mod both. In part it would be a financial consideration, but I just know I'd be more of a purist with the GT-350 and have modding fun with the GT-500, without spending more than I could afford.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
I'm not tempted. I don't want to go down the mod road again with my R. I've dropped way too much money in mods into my GT500. I just can't stomach doing that again. At least, not while I still have my GT500. If I only had the R, maybe. For now, if I'm itching for mods, I'll just continue doing it to the GT500.
I feel the same way as you, just put a bigger blower etc into the GT500 and that added up quickly...to spend another $10k on a s/c and supporting mods is a lot..One thing is I would love to really wake the 350 up besides the small stuff I have done now..Idk I have a couple days to think about this, but again I really like the simple nature of the vortech kits over the Whipple for installation

SoCalShark

Established Member
I am waiting to see if the new GT500 has what it takes. If not, I may go after another 13/14 and mod it up again like my last one. I Like my R stock, and somewhat nimble. Adding noseweight will change the car a lot.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Be VERY careful with the boost and the flat plane crank.
Anything over 8lbs of boost and Ford was breaking cranks.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I am waiting to see if the new GT500 has what it takes. If not, I may go after another 13/14 and mod it up again like my last one. I Like my R stock, and somewhat nimble. Adding noseweight will change the car a lot.

I say it every time it's brought up, but if Ford comes half-stepping with the next GT500, the ZL1 1LE will be in the garage next to my R.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
IMO, boosting a regular GT350 is one thing, but the R's should be left as stock as possible. 10k spent on a blower and put on an R would probably DROP the value 20k.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
id sure like to see that but that motor is a high revving motor and not designed to be boosted but hey a few ppl have done it already so go for it.

if it breaks its only money u can always make more.....:)

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
IMO, boosting a regular GT350 is one thing, but the R's should be left as stock as possible. 10k spent on a blower and put on an R would probably DROP the value 20k.

It will definitely drop the value. Some things should just be left alone. I don't even think the regular GT350s should be messed with. Ford gives us the best Mustangs ever, and some people have to go and ruin the character and purpose of the cars. It still irks me to no end when I see people turning Boss 302s into friggin' drag cars!! Why???????? Just buy a friggin' Mustang GT and go crazy with it!

johnkn

Established Member
Not disagreeing however offering another point of view. No doubt they are great cars. Are they really Shelbys? In my mind Shelbys were only built at LAX Airport or later at the A.O. Smith facility. Think they will ever appreciate in value? Take a 2016 GT350 that was purchased for $60k, or even an R car that someone paid a $13k ADM for a total of $80k, in 10 years and assuming very, very low mileage and perfect condition, think it will still be worth $60k and $80k especially considering 10 additional years of hockey stick automotive technology curve? I would never significantly modify one of my early cars, however Modern cars have become a commodity and at my age I couldn’t bear driving a new GT350R and being dusted by a new stock Camaro. Would I realize a perceived ~$10k decrease in value if I sold a perfect 2017 GT350R-TT in a few years? IDK, but I’d just consider that $10k the price for having the fun. Your mileage may vary…

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I think the current GT350s transcend the Shelby name and are just plain amazing Mustangs. On the advancement front, how long was it before there was another Mustang that could tussle with the '00 R in the driving dynamics arena? Not until the Boss 302 twelve years later, wasn't it? The GT350 will be remembered as a[n actual] HUGE leap forward in Mustang advancement. I think its value will show a nod toward that.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
I feel that this car does need some boost, that is what it is missing imo..Safely is the goal, and running 7-8psi if fine by me, to just destroy a new ZL1 if that every comes about for me..I understand this car was built for track racing not drag racing, but look at the camaro zl1, it has boost and is a track monster so it is possible to have both..I guess I am just spoiled after driving my GT500! So I will still continue to debate on adding a whipple, or go with a centri

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
I would love to supercharge my GT350 but wont. Ford highly recommends you dont. The cross plain crank and design of the motor dont like it. This is a direct quote from BJ at VMP perf .... they would love nothing better than to sell superchargers to GT350 cars and there own GT350 that is owned by the company will not have a blower on it
These motors also have a tendency to eat oil. Some cars are fine. Others like mine go through a quart every 1200 miles and some cars are so severe that Ford replaced there engines. This is why Ford put out the supplement pack with the torque wrench and filter to notify customers to keep a eye on their oil. You think if there was no problem with oil consumption that Ford would have done this ? Think not

My 2 cents worth

don

oldbmwfan

Established Member
These motors also have a tendency to eat oil. Some cars are fine. Others like mine go through a quart every 1200 miles and some cars are so severe that Ford replaced there engines. This is why Ford put out the supplement pack with the torque wrench and filter to notify customers to keep a eye on their oil. You think if there was no problem with oil consumption that Ford would have done this ? Think not
The torque spec for the oil filter has nothing to do with oil consumption and everything to do with the fact that in testing, the oil filters would literally vibrate loose and cause a massive oil leak because the flat plane (not "cross plain") engine is a bitch for secondary vibrations (this is exacerbated in a large-displacement, long-stroke engine like the Voodoo).

Tightening your oil filter won't keep oil from blowing by into the cylinders, if that is happening (which is has to in order for the engine to consume oil under load).

Established Member
I think Ford thought the oil filters were leaking more than they are, and there is a secondary issue bc mine has been in the shop 3 times and the last time was when I diagnosed that the oil cooler tubes leak at the oil filter housing... Hope they actually can fix it. But I had to laugh when they sent me a oil filter wrench after the oil cooler tube recall and a oil sensor replacement...

I looked at it when I had the belly pan off installing the transmission cooler to my tech pack. I think they frequently misdiagnose this.

Oh, I track my car and also just put the R's MPSC2's on my ride as well, I'm tempted...

Last edited:

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
The torque spec for the oil filter has nothing to do with oil consumption and everything to do with the fact that in testing, the oil filters would literally vibrate loose and cause a massive oil leak because the flat plane (not "cross plain") engine is a bitch for secondary vibrations (this is exacerbated in a large-displacement, long-stroke engine like the Voodoo).

Tightening your oil filter won't keep oil from blowing by into the cylinders, if that is happening (which is has to in order for the engine to consume oil under load).
I realize that and concur. The point I was trying to make is ford knows they have some oil consumption issues hence forth the supplemental kit and the verbage with it

don

oldbmwfan

Established Member
Oh got it, you were referring to the supplement language update and not the wrench itself. I misunderstood.

Users who are viewing this thread