Why isn't the mecum auto auction going to be televised anymore?

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
AFTER KC, it's not going to be on TV anymore. I've been looking online and couldn't find any info. What's the deal here?

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Maybe the super loudmouth auctioneer drove the fans away. That guy is more than I could stand.

I watched the local auction just a week or two ago. Nice cars but I really can't stand "that guy"

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
b/c its boring as **** probably. I LOVE cars seriously and I have been to many many car auctions and to watch it on TV makes me want to put a pair of scissors in my eyes. They should have made the show a Hr long and pick like say 10 cars that are cool or overly expensive and focused on them with maybe 15mins of the auction of other random cars. they should show a 1hr clip no more than 2 in a row MAX and no more than 3 per day. Honestly if they wouldnt flood the channel with 10hrs strait of mecum or barret jackson it would last longer and not annoy as many. again I love cars and i would go to a auction any day but its diffrent when you go to a auction vs seeing it on TV for 10hrs strait. chasing classic cars is starting to piss me off too. being on nights sucks in this aspect lol.

Last edited:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
b/c its boring as **** probably. I LOVE cars seriously and I have been to many many car auctions and to watch it on TV makes me want to put a pair of scissors in my eyes. They should have made the show a Hr long and pick like say 10 cars that are cool or overly expensive and focused on them with maybe 15mins of the auction of other random cars. they should show a 1hr clip no more than 2 in a row MAX and no more than 3 per day. Honestly if they wouldnt flood the channel with 10hrs strait of mecum or barret jackson it would last longer and not annoy as many. again I love cars and i would go to a auction any day but its diffrent when you go to a auction vs seeing it on TV for 10hrs strait. chasing classic cars is starting to piss me off too. being on nights sucks in this aspect lol.

THIS!!! And, at least in my neck of the woods, Speedchannel es no mas!!! I actually do miss it; they often had good cars shows, races, all sorts of interesting car, boat, motorcycle, etc...stuff to watch.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Moving to Esquire and NBC Sports Network

This. They announced tonight that it was moving to NBC Sports, didn't hear them say anything about Esquire. I watch the re-runs during the day while working, hope those continue on Velocity.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member

+1 I love cars too, but I got so tired of seeing the Speed Channel listings being nothing but Barrett Jackson. I would love to watch one of those auctions and not have to see 30 billion hemi Cudas cross the stand and each one is a 1 of 1.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I tend to agree with the "it's just too long a telecast" feeling. And all that coverage cost money. I would much rather see maybe a 2-hour compressed summary of the Mecum auction(s), or Barrett Jackson. Multi-hour segments for three days is overkill for the majority. If it doesn't get televised at all, I will miss it, for sure. I love Mecum because of all the great muscle cars they auction off.

coposrv

Established Member
Because it's boring as hell. I like the cars and all but the guys are annoying and the auctioneers are retarded sounding. It's tolerable on mute.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I was watching the Mecum auction for a few minutes and heard them say "the last one," and I just assumed they meant the last one of the year lol.

As far as the barrage of Barrett-Jackson coverage on Speed, I didn't mind it at all. December/January isn't exactly a hotbed month for motorsports, so it's not like they're missing out on alot of other stuff. I like seeing alot of cars, as opposed to a condensed 2-3 hour summary. I love sitting with my father in law and grandfather in law and watching, and listening to them reminisce about cars they used to have.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I like watching all the auctions. I would bet they weren't pulling the ratings that the network wanted, either that, or they couldn't work a $ deal.

Blackness03

Established Member
I wish they were never on TV. None of them. One of the reasons everyone thinks their rust bucket sitting in the woods is a piece of gold

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, I enjoy the Barrett Jackson Scottsdale coverage in January, but 6 hours straight is a bit much each day, at least for me. The over abundance of commentary and drama just gets a bit annoying. A little commentary is great. My solution is to record it to my DVR and then use FF to skip all the extraneous stuff I care nothing about. Which means about 1 1/2 hours of actual viewing. I do pretty much the same thing for Mecum, although I honestly skip less with the Mecum auctions.

Users who are viewing this thread