Widened OEM PP Wheels and NT05R test

Planeswalker

Established Member
Went out with the GoPro to test out my widened OEM wheels with Nitto NT05R 315/35/20s. Figured some of you would want to know how they do.

Mods: JLT CAI, SCJ Mono Blade Throttle Body, Lethal O/R X-pipe, 3.73 Gears, Lund 93 Tune.

Temp was lower than I was wanting, in the low 50s, but I was eager to test how the nittos would hold up. The video was originally meant to be a run against my wifes 2011 Roush, but she missed a shift lol. My wife and I went out later that night with her driving and she killed 5 people, all from a dig, all over before she even hit 2nd! Love the look on peoples faces when they get their egos crushed by a girl. But this isn't a road kill story.

The widened PP Wheels are widened by Weldcraft to 11", the only mod I did to get them to fit was a 5/16" wheel spacer. I even got four full sized adults and drove down a bumpy road to check for any scraping. Have also done some hard cornering with no scraping.

The Nitto NT05Rs actually are doing way better than I had hoped. Even with mods and gears they can stand up to pretty much anything, even in the cooler weather right now. By that evening the temps had dropped into the 40s and they still held up, no actual hard launches though.

Heres the vid, was a 60 to 150ish roll. Was still truamatized from driving on stock tires. I started in 3rd, went right to WoT, let off gas during shifts but went WoT right after.

2013 GT500 60 roll - YouTube

Planeswalker

Established Member
Nice Vid, do you have any pics of the widened wheels on the car? Thinking of doing the same to mine.

Keep meaning to get some better pics, but heres a few.

wPVKHem.jpg

DrGIuSc.jpg

ZmHjOR7.jpg

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Nice vid! :thumbsup:
How well do the Nitto's handle and stable at high speeds with the factory Goodyears?

Planeswalker

Established Member
Nice vid! :thumbsup:
How well do the Nitto's handle and stable at high speeds with the factory Goodyears?

Car was extremely smooth at high speeds, I never once felt like I was going that fast. The Nittos seem quiter than the Goodyears also. Both felt stable at high speeds, but the Nittos never broke loose like the Goodyears would.

Eviltwins344

Creepy Lurker
Established Member
Nice Work!!. How’s the finish on the inside of the wheel? Can you see the weld looking in from the side? I’m sure a quick coat of matching paint will take care of the aesthetics.

BOD89LX

Established Member
So you didnt have to get an adjustable panhard bar or remove or trim the inner fender liner?

BOD89LX

Established Member
Posted for comparison sakes only, not to say one way is better than the other. Weldcraft widened wheel on the top, Eric Vaughn widened wheel on the bottom. Car look great Planeswalker! :beer:

68QGqDn.jpg

IMAG0935_zps8ea4e8f2.jpg

Is the new inner rim hoop forged as well or just cast on the Eric Vaughn wheel?

Planeswalker

Established Member
That Eric Vaughn weld looks amazing, can't believe it's so smooth.

The inside of the wheel looks about the same as the outside. I was going to paint it but I installed the wheels and you really can't notice it unless you bend down and look.

If you use a 5/16th wheel spacer no other mods or triming is needed, and they don't noticeably stick out. That's for OEM wheels.

Last edited:

Planeswalker

Established Member
Posted for comparison sakes only, not to say one way is better than the other. Weldcraft widened wheel on the top, Eric Vaughn widened wheel on the bottom. Car look great Planeswalker! :beer:

68QGqDn.jpg

IMAG0935_zps8ea4e8f2.jpg

Thanks for posting that pic, that weld is amazing. I was worried that mine would be hard to balance but they balanced easily.

Didn't you go with R888s? How are they doing with your mods? I was looking at those but ended up going with the Nittos.

TORQJNKY

Thanks for posting that pic, that weld is amazing. I was worried that mine would be hard to balance but they balanced easily.

Didn't you go with R888s? How are they doing with your mods? I was looking at those but ended up going with the Nittos.

It's a machine weld, that's why it's so smooth. Yes, R888's. The car is going in for the final rear end mods on Thursday. It's getting 3.73 gears, an adjustable UCA to set the proper pinion angle and Strange 31 spline axles. All the other mods I did myself are done and the rear is square and centered with no issues. :rockon:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
It's a machine weld, that's why it's so smooth. Yes, R888's. The car is going in for the final rear end mods on Thursday. It's getting 3.73 gears, an adjustable UCA to set the proper pinion angle and Strange 31 spline axles. All the other mods I did myself are done and the rear is square and centered with no issues. :rockon:

Looking forward to your review of the ride once its all done. I will likely go the same route in the future :beer:

Planeswalker

Established Member

Nice, can't wait to see how you like the new rear end!

Users who are viewing this thread