Winter mod review

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
This past winter, I decided to install some suspension handling upgrades on my 2008 Shelby. The core modification was the installation of a Maximum Motorsports K-member for strength, along with Ford Racing M-3075-E front lower control arms, MM bump steer kit, and Bilstein struts. I had previously installed H&R Sport lowering springs, H&R front and rear sway bars, BMR adjustable endlinks, and MM Caster/Camber plates which complement the above mods. After performing a proper alignment, I tested out my new handling suspension on some twisties, and I will say that the front end feels very planted, to the point of oversteer, though I haven’t pushed it hard enough for the back end to come around yet. I may have to look into a Watts Link to equally plant the rear… time will tell. A secondary advantage of the MM K-member over the OEM K-member is how much accessibility it allows to the engine components underneath the car. The biggest payoff is that the suspension system is confidence inspiring, and it is easier to drive the car fast!

MM K Member.jpg

FR Front LCA.jpg

Bilstein Struts with MM Bumpsteer kit.jpg

In the rear, I installed MM extreme duty adjustable LCAs, mostly just to perfectly center my rear axle front to back in the wheel well after lowering the rear suspension. I removed my QA1 single adjustable drag shocks and replaced them with Bilstein shocks to match the front struts. Then I squared the K-member and the rear axle to the frame and with each other using four plumb bobs to make sure my car tracked straight and stayed straight under WOT acceleration. The overall ride feeling is controlled and dampened, not harsh at all, and I was very surprised that there was no increase in NVH due to the addition of the spherical bearing rod end LCAs, going from a full poly bushing rear end. Other forum members have had great results with the MM LCAs paired with rubber bushing UCAs, but I am still utilizing a BMR adjustable UCA with poly bushings on the body mount and rear differential housing, and I would not hesitate to daily drive my car… it’s that easy on the ears.

MM Rear LCA.jpg

Bilstein shocks.jpg

Once the suspension work was complete, I installed a VMP belt tensioner because the OEM piece was worn out, allowing the belt to slip (chirp) between shifts when I let off the gas. I have not been able to test the new VMP tensioner under WOT conditions yet, due to the cold temperatures where I am located, but I will load test it when the temps get warmer. It is a well-constructed and nice-looking piece. Finally, I installed a PA Performance alternator with a 10% underdrive pulley to rectify a string of alternator issues I have experienced since my original OEM alternator took a dump last year. I’ll address that more in a future thread once I can street test it beyond 6000 rpm.

VMP Tensioner.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow your girl got some GREAT upgrades! K member was on the short list for me as well.. more for the weight savings though.

Looks like your winter project turned out very nice.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
I have the vmp tensioner too. its a great piece my only complaint is that I wish it was a 1/2" drive instead of the 3/8th

moncho

Established Member
Quite the suspension upgrade & from your feedback well worth it. You must have a well equipped garage, not to mention the wrenching skills. Even @ stock power level the front end seems floating a bit when your on it. Not the most comfortable feeling that's for sure. This appears to be the answer to that. Great write up and thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ray

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow your girl got some GREAT upgrades! K member was on the short list for me as well.. more for the weight savings though. Looks like your winter project turned out very nice.

Thanks! Yep, makes driving my car even more enjoyable.

I have the vmp tensioner too. its a great piece my only complaint is that I wish it was a 1/2" drive instead of the 3/8th

Agreed. With the added spring tension, a 1/2" drive breaker bar would make the task of installing the belt easier. I have to muscle the belt around a 3.00" Whipple pulley.

Quite the suspension upgrade & from your feedback well worth it. You must have a well equipped garage, not to mention the wrenching skills. Even @ stock power level the front end seems floating a bit when your on it. Not the most comfortable feeling that's for sure. This appears to be the answer to that. Great write up and thanks for sharing!

Yes Sir! I grew up working on a farm where we worked on our own equipment, so I'm not afraid to tear into anything... but I do know my limits. I find this car very easy to work on, and I have acquired all the tools necessary to do my own work on the car. Having the Ford Workshop Manual helps too... especially with torque values.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you initially move your K-member for fitment of your 2.9?

Initially, no. My 2.9 fit, but it was tight. The supercharger did make very slight contact with my hood blanket, and the boost bypass valve actuator on the back of the blower was too close to the firewall for my comfort. So, I fabricated my own 1/8" k-member spacers, and that gave me just enough clearance all around. Look at the picture below... I would make sure you have at least 3/16" clearance between the bypass valve actuator and your firewall to prevent contact when the engine moves.

Whipple bypass valve.jpg

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
nice write up was on the fence about a few of these things now I am going to do them all with the addition so some inner/outer tie rods just to throw new ones in while everything is being done.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
A little update to this thread since I have logged some warm weather miles on my car:

My suspension mods are performing well, a LOT of grip up front with literally no sway and zero bumpsteer. Straight line traction is as good as it ever was on my car. In warm to hot weather, 2nd gear hazes the rear tires at 4000 rpm and above, but I can usually drive through it maintaining a straight line. In cooler weather, blows the tires off in 3rd gear as soon as I go WOT. I'll be tracking my car at the end of the month to truly test suspension handling.

Changing the engine oil and filter with my MM K-member installed was a breeze. No more need for an aluminum foil drip pan covering the k-member to prevent oil from dripping on it. It's now an unobstructed path from my oil filter to my oil collection pan.

The only negative I have to mention is popping sounds coming from the MM spherical rod end bump steer kit tie-rod ends and rear LCAs. I only hear them pop when I am backing out of my driveway when my suspension is at the max articulation it sees during normal driving. While street driving in any environment, they are quiet and smooth as can be with no added NVH. Maybe they need a little more time for the joints to loosen up a little?

The VMP s/c belt tensioner appears to be working well. I have done several high rpm 2-3, 3-4 shifts with no belt slippage or chirping under WOT or when I lift to shift.

Beercules

Established Member
And it (kmember) doesn't eat bolts/ sockets like the stocker.

Thanks! Yep, makes driving my car even more enjoyable.

Agreed. With the added spring tension, a 1/2" drive breaker bar would make the task of installing the belt easier. I have to muscle the belt around a 3.00" Whipple pulley.

Yes Sir! I grew up working on a farm where we worked on our own equipment, so I'm not afraid to tear into anything... but I do know my limits. I find this car very easy to work on, and I have acquired all the tools necessary to do my own work on the car. Having the Ford Workshop Manual helps too... especially with torque values.

A little update to this thread since I have logged some warm weather miles on my car:

My suspension mods are performing well, a LOT of grip up front with literally no sway and zero bumpsteer. Straight line traction is as good as it ever was on my car. In warm to hot weather, 2nd gear hazes the rear tires at 4000 rpm and above, but I can usually drive through it maintaining a straight line. In cooler weather, blows the tires off in 3rd gear as soon as I go WOT. I'll be tracking my car at the end of the month to truly test suspension handling.

Changing the engine oil and filter with my MM K-member installed was a breeze. No more need for an aluminum foil drip pan covering the k-member to prevent oil from dripping on it. It's now an unobstructed path from my oil filter to my oil collection pan.

The only negative I have to mention is popping sounds coming from the MM spherical rod end bump steer kit tie-rod ends and rear LCAs. I only hear them pop when I am backing out of my driveway when my suspension is at the max articulation it sees during normal driving. While street driving in any environment, they are quiet and smooth as can be with no added NVH. Maybe they need a little more time for the joints to loosen up a little?

The VMP s/c belt tensioner appears to be working well. I have done several high rpm 2-3, 3-4 shifts with no belt slippage or chirping under WOT or when I lift to shift.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I did some very spirited orientation and touring laps totaling about 50 minutes at Summit Point Main this past Thursday. The track was resurfaced over the winter so conditions could not have been better. Suspension handling was exceptional in turning situations well beyond what I would execute on the street, and I didn’t even feel a hint of non-compliance… my car simply went whatever direction I turned the steering wheel with no drama. Both front and rear stayed planted with virtually no body roll. Front end grip was amazing, and as long as I set the rear suspension through the turns and applied gradual acceleration exiting the turns, the rear tires stuck also. It was a night and day difference versus tracking with the OEM suspension.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
SC, what rims and tires are you running, street and track?

I ran my street wheels and tires at this event to test the limits of my setup.

Front - Ford Racing 19x9" wheel with MPSS 255/40ZR19
Rear - Ford Racing 19x10" wheel with MPSS 295/35ZR19

I don't have a dedicated drag or track wheel and tire setup at this time.

Track event.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread