World's Most Powerful Personal Laser - 1Watt for $200 bucks

Good Idea or Not?

• It's not as dangerous as it sounds....

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • It's really dangerous and I would be careful of it

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • I hope US bans this from being imported

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I would buy it and use it as a gag thing

Votes: 24 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dooberGN

Established Member
You guys that bought one need to band together and terrorize beaches around the world!!:banana:

poop.jpg

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
OK...so what am I missing here? A powerful $200 handheld laser in the hands of a few hundred (or more) juvenille delinquents worldwide with the power to burn and blind innocent people virtually instantly...and undetectably??? And this is a good thing?? Figures the company would be based in China. I can only imagine what havoc this could wreck as an undetectable remote ignition source on low-flash point materials and mixtures. Mr. Snover...any thoughts?

crazyj0n

Established Member
I know the sun can mess up someones eyes, so how does the sun compare to this laser? I just cant see how it can instantly blind you off a wall reflection.

dooberGN

Established Member
Here's a website to explain that.

The Space Place :: What is a laser?

And this

What is a laser?

A laser* is a unique kind of light, more intense and concentrated than anything in nature. Laser light differs from white light (such as sunlight, the light we use in lamps or flashlights) in several ways. Light from most sources spreads out as it travels so that much less of it hits a given area as it moves farther from its source. Traveling as a tight, unbroken beam, the laser light does not disperse as much as it moves away from its origin. Also, while white light is a mix of colored light waves, laser light is monochromatic, having a single wavelength which corresponds to one specific color. Identical wavelengths travel parallel to one another for reinforcement, creating a strong beam that can be focused down to less than 0.001 inch in diameter. Laser light can be controlled very precisely as a steady, continuous beam or in bursts or pulses.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
This is cool. I have one of their green laser pointers used for pointing things out during astronomy nights. I can't see the battery lasting too long in a 1W version but I guess lighting shit on fire with a laser is too cool to pass up. :)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
This is cool. I have one of their green laser pointers used for pointing things out during astronomy nights. I can't see the battery lasting too long in a 1W version but I guess lighting shit on fire with a laser is too cool to pass up. :)

THIS!!

DO WANT!!!
Relevant note: My birthday is 07/03!!:dancenana:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
If anyone gets one, you should combine that tech with this:

Using Lasers to Zap Mosquitoes - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

He gave the first public demonstration of the laser, which was cobbled together from parts found on eBay, at the annual TED conference in Long Beach, Calif., which features lectures and demonstrations by experts in a wide range of fields, including technology, politics and entertainment.

After hundreds of mosquitoes (which were kept in the hotel bathroom until showtime) were released into a glass tank, a laser tracked their movements and slowly shot them down, leaving their carcasses scattered on the bottom of the tank. While the demonstration was slowed down for public viewing, Mr. Myhrvold said that normally the lasers could shoot down anywhere between 50 to 100 mosquitoes per second.

Mr. Myhrvold played a slow-motion recorded video that showed what happened to a representative mosquito. As the insect flew, a sudden light beam struck it, disintegrating parts of its body into a plume of smoke. It fell, even as its wings continued to beat.

Mr. Myhrvold said the software detects the speed and size of the image before deciding whether to shoot. It would reject a butterfly or a human, for example, and more powerful laser blasts could be used for locusts. In regions afflicted by malaria, the lasers could be used to create protective fences around clinics, homes, or even agricultural fields as a substitute for pesticides.

Think of what you can program it for: squirrels, intruders, passing jets, etc.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
that too.

whatever we know exists, the military has thats 10x better.....

lol i would always tell my buddys if i was ever caught behind enemy lines i would bargain for my freedom, give em the secrets to my ship.....'the secret is Simple Green now where's my cheeseburger you promised me".

Users who are viewing this thread