Worth the trouble to investigate rear end whine?

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Ok so I bought by '03 with 35k miles and the pinion bearing was shot due to low fluid at some point, so i had a big nationally known Mustang shop rebuild it and put in FMS 3.73's. It was dead quiet for the first 3k miles but then started a whine on accel from 45-60 mph, then it comes back in around 80. It's not terrible and with the windows down and radio on you don't hear it. But I am going to start daily driving again soon, so I'd like to get rid of the noise.

I suspect it has high teens in backlash, but there's only one way to find out. My question is, would it be worth the effort to remove the pumpkin and check it? I did the same thing in a sold axle foxbody several years ago, shifted some shims over to tighten up the backlash and it was dead quiet after that.

Zemedici

Established Member
That's entirely up to you as you have to deal with the noise. If its something that irritated me I would definitely want it fixed. If you can live with the noise then meh. For example my tob squeals when I start the vehicle moving about 90% of the time, but it doesnt bother me, so I'm not worried about fixing it. When / if the clutch goes I'll replace it then.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Mine howls like a banshee, but it doesn't really bother me, and I dd the car. I have solid bushings and 4.10's/wavetrac so I think that adds a lot of noise to it.

Now if you think that it is a mechanical problem that will cause damage, I'd want to fix it, but it's kind of alot of work to pull if it is just noise. Depends on how much it bugs you

Users who are viewing this thread