Would a dirty MAF cause the car to stall?

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Well the car has been put away since November on a full tank of gas. Two weeks ago I changed the oil, put in the KB FRPS disc, changed plugs, and ditched the K&N for the AEM dryflow filter. I took it for its first drive on monday. Everything was fine. Today I took it out for the second time. Drove to my workplace and shut it down. Came back out and started her up. It idled real rough and eventually stalled. Tried to start it 3 or 4 times and same thing. It would not stay running. Finally it started right up and ran perfect all the way home. Went out this evening and same thing. Let it set a couple seconds then it fired right up like nothing. I am trying to drive the winter tank full of gas out of it so I can put in some fresh. I havent even got in boost yet.
So I am not sure if maybe I didnt get one of the coils on all the way when I changed the plugs which I always double check or maybe the MAF is dirty. Its just odd that it does it then runs perfect. Before I put it away this past fall I noticed that it idles a little odd. Almost like it has a mild cam in it but not too bad. Just enough to notice. I checked all of the hoses. I am going to clean the MAF tomorrow and hope it goes away.

NFCstang

I probably don't like you
Established Member
I would think that would be a simple fix.

I had problems with my filter coming off my RAI for a couple of days and the minute it would fall off, the idle would go to shit

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Well I cleaned the IAC and the MAF and still having the same problem. It doesnt do it all the time and thats what I dont understand.

ClubVenom1

On My Way To 8's
Established Member
Pull out the KB FRPS Disc and see if it still does it. Vaccum leaks also cause the problems your describing. Check all of the vac lines you played with before the winter storage and when you put on all the modifications. Got a bad gound or connection to voltage, make sure your maf sensor plug is plugged in all the way if you removed it. Back track everything you unplugged or changed.
Hope you find the problem.

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Remove the disc to take that out of the equation. Then that leaves the spark plugs. Which plugs did you install and what did you gap them to?

A coil could have been damaged as well when you pulled them off for whatever reason.

snackpack

Established Member
Did you put the fuel distiller (Not sure of correct name) in before you parked for the winter Fuel filter or pump could be clogged with that nasty film that builds up over time if the gas sits. Just a thought...

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
ClubVenom1 said:
Pull out the KB FRPS Disc and see if it still does it. Vaccum leaks also cause the problems your describing. Check all of the vac lines you played with before the winter storage and when you put on all the modifications. Got a bad gound or connection to voltage, make sure your maf sensor plug is plugged in all the way if you removed it. Back track everything you unplugged or changed.
Hope you find the problem.

Pulling out the FRPS disc was my next step if it doesnt straighten up. Everything else that you have mentioned I have checked.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
Remove the disc to take that out of the equation. Then that leaves the spark plugs. Which plugs did you install and what did you gap them to?

A coil could have been damaged as well when you pulled them off for whatever reason.

I put the same plugs in it that I got it dyno tuned with. Which were the NGK TR7IX's gapped at .035.
Were you that one that I think I read once that said your car ran funny with the FRPS disc?

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
snackpack said:
Did you put the fuel distiller (Not sure of correct name) in before you parked for the winter Fuel filter or pump could be clogged with that nasty film that builds up over time if the gas sits. Just a thought...

I added a little bit of the fuel stabilizer this past fall before I noticed that it had started to get a little chunky in the bottle (its about 3 years old). So I stoped adding. I finally got the fuel filter changed today and blew thru it. A few little red specs came out. And it was a little black. The car only has 10,300 miles on it. So it goes to show we shouldnt go by miles on when to change our fuel filters on these cars.

ClubVenom1

On My Way To 8's
Established Member
To me it still sounds like something electrical. Everything runs perfect, then it runs irratic upon next startup. Does anything show up in the computers diagnostics code? Some electrical sensor may be faulty and starting to go out, but every now and then it will work right. I have had this problem on another car of mine.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
ClubVenom1 said:
To me it still sounds like something electrical. Everything runs perfect, then it runs irratic upon next startup. Does anything show up in the computers diagnostics code? Some electrical sensor may be faulty and starting to go out, but every now and then it will work right. I have had this problem on another car of mine.

Its a possibility. I thought about that too. If it keeps it up I am going to let my tech check it out. See if he can find anything.

Juruense

Banned
03 svtvenom said:
Well I cleaned the IAC and the MAF and still having the same problem. It doesnt do it all the time and thats what I dont understand.
It is important to reset the PCM after cleaning IAC and MAF. Did you do this?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Kilgore Trout said:
It is important to reset the PCM after cleaning IAC and MAF. Did you do this?

actually, you don't have to do that...

resetting PCM will quicken the relearning process but it will occur on its own

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread