'00R IRS Problem - Need Help

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
'00R with complete Kenny Brown modified IRS ( cradle, tubular a-arms, KW coilovers etc etc)

Issue: The right rear wheel is off center horizontially ( i.e. moved back closer to the rear bumper cover) It looks to be about a 1/2" - 3/4" back.... its enough that while driving the tire kissed the rear bumper cover lip during suspension travel. It left a black mark on the cover and a marred spot on the new tire.

I am sure this happened on my last road trip with the car. I washed it before leaving and everything was fine. I drove 120 miles highway each direction and had to go through some somewhat rough construction zones. I drag raced the car about 6 times on stock tires. I am pretty sure what ever happened was on the way home that night.

Anywho, I remembered Bruces issues with the bent KB control arm pivot points. I did a visual inspection and nothing looks obviously bent. The coilover on that side is no longer exactly straight up & down like the other side, I can tell its angle has changed compared to the driver side of the car.

Its does not appear to me that there is any adjustment that can be done to the control arms that sets the wheel centered in the wheel well. The only rear suspension adjustment I can see is the rear tierod????

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am stumped on this issue.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Daryl:

It's pretty normal to not have the tires perfectly centered in the wheel well openings. We are dealing with a Mustang here! :idea:

The area you are rubbing is pretty common for a wide tire to make contact. Mine are almost completely gone in that area. Depending on your wheel width, off-set, backspacing, tire size and spacers you may or may not be using, most wider tires will rub.

The hellatious problems I've had with the Kenny Brown parts have been documented here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ver-ad-much-confidence-kenny-brown-parts.html

Grab a drink because it's a long one! :rolleyes:

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

svtguy

Established Member
Do you have any pics? I could get some measurements off of mine. I still have the factory IRS cradle in it.

Paul.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Daryl:

It's pretty normal to not have the tires perfectly centered in the wheel well openings. We are dealing with a Mustang here! :idea:

The area you are rubbing is pretty common for a wide tire to make contact. Mine are almost completely gone in that area. Depending on your wheel width, off-set, backspacing, tire size and spacers you may or may not be using, most wider tires will rub.

The hellatious problems I've had with the Kenny Brown parts have been documented here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ver-ad-much-confidence-kenny-brown-parts.html

Grab a drink because it's a long one! :rolleyes:

Hope that helps.

I am still running the stock '00R wheels & correct 265x40x18 BFG KD tire.

The wheel was more centered than it is now.... I have open tracked the car and so did the previous owner some & it has never made contact before. I will need to get it back on the lift for more visual inspection. I am betting one of the several pot holes or jumps we hit in the construction zones tweaked something. The Texas highway department, when doing road work likes to leave the old pavement at one level then pour on 3-4 more inches of asphalt in another section and not make any kind of smooth transition between the two levels.... so smacking the abrupt transition and dropping off of it on the other side at 70mph is very jarring in any car much less a stiffly suspended Mustang.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I am still running the stock '00R wheels & correct 265x40x18 BFG KD tire.

The wheel was more centered than it is now.... I have open tracked the car and so did the previous owner some & it has never made contact before. I will need to get it back on the lift for more visual inspection. I am betting one of the several pot holes or jumps we hit in the construction zones tweaked something. The Texas highway department, when doing road work likes to leave the old pavement at one level then pour on 3-4 more inches of asphalt in another section and not make any kind of smooth transition between the two levels.... so smacking the abrupt transition and dropping off of it on the other side at 70mph is very jarring in any car much less a stiffly suspended Mustang.

Well the best thing to do would be to get the car up on a lift and inspect all of the IRS control arms for weld cracks (don't ask me how I know they crack) and check them for play. Also check your halfshaft retaining nuts. Torque them to 240-250# w/36mm socket.

If you have a KB rear hard mount, check for chassis failure like I experienced!! :fart:

FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread