01 cobra build thread. (One step closer)

52merc

Established Member
I see no reason they would not work in a day-to-day driver. From what I've read, there are only 3 material types available for the King bearing that fit this engine: SI; HP; and XP.

The SI Series uses material K-788 which has high ratings for anti-seizure, wear resistance, and conformability/embedability. Load capacity is moderate.

The HP Series uses material K-787 which has about the same ratings as the SI Series, but says it is suitable for street/strip as well as some circle track racing.

The XP Series uses K-798 which to me does not seem to have any advantage over the HP Series for a street engine, is considered a race only construction, and is more expensive.

So after all of this, I would say that either the SI or the HP Series bearings should perform well for your engine.

Edit - After looking at several other builds many have used the SI Series for street cars.

One thing to keep in mind when you are looking at specifications. Racing rated parts may give you the impression that they are stronger and better. This may only be true in race applications where engine hours and mileage are relatively low compared to a street driven car. A street car requires some durability as well. Something some race rated parts may not offer and therefore may not be the best choice for your engine.

Last edited:

Badaz01

Established Member
I see no reason they would not work in a day-to-day driver. From what I've read, there are only 3 material types available for the King bearing that fit this engine: SI; HP; and XP.

The SI Series uses material K-788 which has high ratings for anti-seizure, wear resistance, and conformability/embedability. Load capacity is moderate.

The HP Series uses material K-787 which has about the same ratings as the SI Series, but says it is suitable for street/strip as well as some circle track racing.

The XP Series uses K-798 which to me does not seem to have any advantage over the HP Series for a street engine, is considered a race only construction, and is more expensive.

So after all of this, I would say that either the SI or the HP Series bearings should perform well for your engine.

Edit - After looking at several other builds many have used the SI Series for street cars.

One thing to keep in mind when you are looking at specifications. Racing rated parts may give you the impression that they are stronger and better. This may only be true in race applications where engine hours and mileage are relatively low compared to a street driven car. A street car requires some durability as well. Something some race rated parts may not offer and therefore may not be the best choice for your engine.
So the ones I have are I guess middle of the road and for all I drive it maybe 3-5 k miles a year the go should be ok then. Thanks for the info and man I can’t wait to get er back. I stopped in the other day and my builder was gapping my rings shouldn’t be long now.

Badaz01

Established Member
Rings file fitted on the flat top slugs ready to go in as my thread title says one step closer. I’m
Freakin pumped and can’t wait
2419C7C6-2C6F-49A4-8A8B-003BD8ECA310.jpg

Badaz01

Established Member
9EDDA212-5FD1-42B9-B53B-4CDC89C81224.jpeg
Well folks motor is all together and car went on the lift today. All that is left to do now is hook up the T56 and build the fuel system get it on the dyno for tuning/breaking in and I’ll be back on the road. I speculate anywhere in the range of 650-675 on e85 what do you all think?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully you'll get in some fun driving before the cold season hits. 650-675 would be nice. I do hope you meet your goal, and then some.

Badaz01

Established Member
Well folks hittin the dyno this morning for the moment of truth I’ve been waiting for about 5 months. It’s finally here tuning the completion of my build. A day of a reckoning wish me luck and watch later I will post the numbers we are doing a 93 93/torco and e85 tunes.
26CEA2C4-2C67-4D1B-A6FF-5485F7C0EAED.jpeg

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Well folks hittin the dyno this morning for the moment of truth I’ve been waiting for about 5 months. It’s finally here tuning the completion of my build. A day of a reckoning wish me luck and watch later I will post the numbers we are doing a 93 93/torco and e85 tunes. View attachment 1720280

Good luck! Definitely keep the thread updated

Badaz01

Established Member
Well folks the results are in we ran 93 first then torco/93 and e85. Car went 470 484 and finally the e85 went 571 whp. The final e85 pull was conservative at 14-15psi boost. Gonna leave it that way until everything is fully broke in the maybe turn it up to 18-20 and see what she can do. I’m very pleased with the build as a whole from the suspension to the drive train. The car is an absolute beast and it’s crazy how it squats and just freakin rips and grips.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations on the conservative setup netting 571whp with E85. It will be interesting to see where the numbers go later on when you shift to 18-20 lbs. You're aways from the hoped for 650-675whp, but you should still be happy with where it is. Solid setup, so enjoy the beast!

Badaz01

Established Member
Congratulations on the conservative setup netting 571whp with E85. It will be interesting to see where the numbers go later on when you shift to 18-20 lbs. You're aways from the hoped for 650-675whp, but you should still be happy with where it is. Solid setup, so enjoy the beast!
Yea buddy very pleased. I had a power stroke diesel that was all hopped up test the waters with me today and I totally ate his lunch with some gap sauce lol. By the time I looked down and thought holy crap that’s 100 110 was already hit. When I let off my whole body sprung out of my seat. All I can say is damn first time I really got on it since the rebuild.

Badaz01

Established Member
I know it’s been a while but I’m gettin the cobra ready for its first while car season since the build. I pulled the trigger today on some new id1050x injectors. I’m hoping these will be good for my car especially with e85 and low rpm idle/street manors. Can’t wait to send it!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread