01 cobra build thread. (One step closer)

Badaz01

Established Member
Well went today ordered 80 lb injectors and a 6 rib crank pulley to run with a 3.8 pulley on my procharger. Gonna go the e85 route. The inconsistency of ethanol at different stations kinda makes me nervous but he recommended an additive for e85 but I can’t recall I think it was red something idk. Anyway I hope everything goes ok I would hate to be tuned for 85% ethanol and put in 75%

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Why did you order a 6 rib pulley? That's what comes stock. If you're going to upgrade get an 8 rib. Even better would be an overdrive crank pulley.

There's no need for an additive with E75. I think that's within the range of E85 for the A/F. Even if it isn't have your tuner set you up with a tune for E75. As a tuner he should know that.

Badaz01

Established Member
Why did you order a 6 rib pulley? That's what comes stock. If you're going to upgrade get an 8 rib. Even better would be an overdrive crank pulley.

There's no need for an additive with E75. I think that's within the range of E85 for the A/F. Even if it isn't have your tuner set you up with a tune for E75. As a tuner he should know that.

It was a OD pulley I think he said it can be ran as a 6 or 8 rib pulley not 100% certain. I’ll have to ask about tuning for e75.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It was a OD pulley I think he said it can be ran as a 6 or 8 rib pulley not 100% certain. I’ll have to ask about tuning for e75.
Then it's an 8 rib.

Maybe you should take notes when you talk to him. You seem unsure about a lot of things he tells you and I can't tell if you're only remembering part of what he says or if he's only giving half ass answers.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. You have to remember we're getting third hand info here. To be honest if my tuner was as unsure as yours seems I'd be looking for another shop.

Badaz01

Established Member
Then it's an 8 rib.

Maybe you should take notes when you talk to him. You seem unsure about a lot of things he tells you and I can't tell if you're only remembering part of what he says or if he's only giving half ass answers.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. You have to remember we're getting third hand info here. To be honest if my tuner was as unsure as yours seems I'd be looking for another shop.
Ah no it’s not him. Pardon me for my inexperience/ignorance. My tuner is a mustang genius there is just so much going into this build from the stress the parts the money then the nerve racking what if thoughts and all the well if you do this you need to do this. Starting to be a nickel and dime to death project more stressful than building my freakin house so please do be a jerk and set me straight that’s why I’m on here because most likely you guys know better than I do.

Badaz01

Established Member

I asked about tuning for e75 and my tuner said it’s not really a good idea not sure why. I tested three stations in my area today one was 80 75 and 70. Idk I may just say hell with it have him tune me for 93 and be done with seems like a lot of BS for fuel.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I asked about tuning for e75 and my tuner said it’s not really a good idea not sure why. I tested three stations in my area today one was 80 75 and 70. Idk I may just say hell with it have him tune me for 93 and be done with seems like a lot of BS for fuel.

Sounds more like he doesn't want to have to do the math for the different levels. To be honest I went with a flex fuel set up so I don't have to worry about testing. My understanding is even 80 would be ok with an 85 tune. You just have to find a good station that stays pretty constant. I'm at E71 right now and it's noticeable.

dan1982

Established Member
Ah no it’s not him. Pardon me for my inexperience/ignorance. My tuner is a mustang genius there is just so much going into this build from the stress the parts the money then the nerve racking what if thoughts and all the well if you do this you need to do this. Starting to be a nickel and dime to death project more stressful than building my freakin house so please do be a jerk and set me straight that’s why I’m on here because most likely you guys know better than I do.
did u find out why the motor melted down in the first place? what did the teardown reveal?

Badaz01

Established Member
did u find out why the motor melted down in the first place? what did the teardown reveal?
Not yet I stopped in today to drop off the prothane trans mount and car is still in one piece idk. On a good note I found a speedway gas station with close to e90 in the pump if my car was back in commission I would take two 55 gallon drums and get me some race fuel!!!!

dan1982

Established Member
Not yet I stopped in today to drop off the prothane trans mount and car is still in one piece idk. On a good note I found a speedway gas station with close to e90 in the pump if my car was back in commission I would take two 55 gallon drums and get me some race fuel!!!!
it would be really nice to have him tear it down and see whats what and why things went wrong and how to proceed foward.... maybe let him take it apart and let him tell YOU what he thinks u should do to make this thing bulletproof

Badaz01

Established Member
it would be really nice to have him tear it down and see whats what and why things went wrong and how to proceed foward.... maybe let him take it apart and let him tell YOU what he thinks u should do to make this thing bulletproof
Well the plan is total rebuild from bottom to the top timing components oil pump gears heads everything along with the t56 swap. There’s not gonna be much left as far as making the car bullet proof/reliable. Plus gonna do the return style fuel system with dual in tank pumps and 80 lb injectors with e85. Went with 80 lb due to most likely switching to 93 for winter storage and the 80’ are easier to manage with 93 and they will be good enough for my power goals on e85 or 93 all in the same.

Badaz01

Established Member
There will always be something that breaks and needs upgrading. Its just a fact of modding.
I hear ya. Hopefully after this next round I’ll be in the stage where I can just maintain what I have modded. My car will be fully built from bumper to bumper. I am learning from this whole process that maintenance is a whole new ball game when hopping up a car such as mine. It’s been fun but damn expensive.

dan1982

Established Member
Well the plan is total rebuild from bottom to the top timing components oil pump gears heads everything along with the t56 swap. There’s not gonna be much left as far as making the car bullet proof/reliable. Plus gonna do the return style fuel system with dual in tank pumps and 80 lb injectors with e85. Went with 80 lb due to most likely switching to 93 for winter storage and the 80’ are easier to manage with 93 and they will be good enough for my power goals on e85 or 93 all in the same.
i hear ya... but i would be DYING to see what the insides of the stock motor looked like... and what went wrong and make sure it wasnt something in the tune or some crazy IAT issue. just keep in mind that built motors can be hurt also..... just due diligence is all.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Personally I would have spent the money on ID's. I've tuned 24, 39, 60, and 80's. The 80's can be made to work, but they take some time to get there. My current ID's were about as easy to tune as the stock 39's. That's with both the stock and aftermarket ECU.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
i hear ya... but i would be DYING to see what the insides of the stock motor looked like... and what went wrong and make sure it wasnt something in the tune or some crazy IAT issue. just keep in mind that built motors can be hurt also..... just due diligence is all.

This. Built motors can easily be hurt by a bad tune...

Badaz01

Established Member
Well folks surgery is under way and my engine build is in the mail. The two cylinders that read low compression ended up being broken ringlands. Everything else looked good including the heads timing components etc. hopefully turn around time on getting everything back together doesn’t take to long.

Badaz01

Established Member
427C5BF7-B811-4A43-A893-14515F7BE046.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread