01 Lower Intake

XLR8-R

Established Member
Where's the best place to buy a 01 Cobra lower intake? My 99 never had the recall so I need one, or from a mach 1? Even a 99 lower with the fix I would be interestd in. Thanks, CB:shrug:

Nazman

Established Member
Originally posted by XLR8-R
Where's the best place to buy a 01 Cobra lower intake? My 99 never had the recall so I need one, or from a mach 1? Even a 99 lower with the fix I would be interestd in. Thanks, CB:shrug:

1-800-Call-SVT

Provide them with your VIN number and they may be able to halp you. I don't know if they still provide the "FIX" but you have nothing to losse.

Naz

SVTDarin

Established Member
I was told that once the car is out of warranty you cannot get the "fix" done for free. Pick up a used lower and have it ported and polished before installing it.

Last edited:

scjmach1

Established Member
There was someone on the Corral selling 3 pre fix lowers. You could buy one and have it ported. I don't think he was asking much for them.
Stephen

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Re: Re: 01 Lower Intake

Originally posted by Nazman
1-800-Call-SVT

Provide them with your VIN number and they may be able to halp you. I don't know if they still provide the "FIX" but you have nothing to losse.

Naz

You mean 1-800-FORD-SVT?

djtech

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTDarin
I was told that once the car is out of warranty you cannot get the "fix" done for free. Pick up a used lower and have it ported and polished before installing it.

This isn't true for all recalls. Any safety recall they would be required by law to still perform even if your out of your warranty period. The HP recall isn't safety though so I think it is at Ford/SVT's descretion.

Who told you the recall wasn't done and who told you that you can't get the fix done for free? Obviously you can get it done by Ford no matter what, the issue is weather you pay or not :rolling:

SVTDarin

Established Member
Originally posted by djtech
This isn't true for all recalls. Any safety recall they would be required by law to still perform even if your out of your warranty period. The HP recall isn't safety though so I think it is at Ford/SVT's descretion.

Who told you the recall wasn't done and who told you that you can't get the fix done for free? Obviously you can get it done by Ford no matter what, the issue is weather you pay or not :rolling:

Someone that worked at a Ford dealer told me that if a 99 Cobra didn't have the "fix" done when the car was still under the factory warranty you could not get it done for free. I never said all recalls just the fix.

XLR8-R

Established Member
I called SVT and they verified it had not been done but are unwilling to help. If I was the original owner, I might be able to whine enough to get some help from Ford, but... I will try the Corral or if anyone wants to sell one. Thanks for the suggestions. CB :shrug:

djtech

Established Member
Originally posted by XLR8-R
I called SVT and they verified it had not been done but are unwilling to help. If I was the original owner, I might be able to whine enough to get some help from Ford, but... I will try the Corral or if anyone wants to sell one. Thanks for the suggestions. CB :shrug:

Damn that is a bunch of crap!! I wouldn't take no for an answer, it isn't fair you should suffer because the original/previous owner didn't have it done in time.

Anyways, just changing your intake won't be as good as the fixes Ford did. I've heard many rumors about the actual issue that caused the lower HP numbers. Some say the heads on the 99 didn't flow well so they did other things to make up for it (can't replace heads on all our cars, costs too much). Others have said that the exhaust was pinched too much causing a restriction. As you know the final reason was that the intakes had passages that had slag in the way.

My car had the recall done before I bought it. I know for a fact they reflashed the computer because it has a sticker saying it was reprogrammed. They also did something with the intake (I have the green dot = acid dipped), not sure if they did anything with the exhaust but I replaced it with a Borla anyway.

Hope that helps...

Snake Eyes

Established Member
The fix was more than just the intake, it was also the exhaust and a chip flash, possibly more I am unsure, but you can get it done if you are willing to pay for it. I know that many of these things may be replaced anyway, (Modding is a sickness) it is all up to you man. My suggestion is to call up SVT and ask them exactly what is changed in the fix and how much would it cost to get it done, then make your decision from there. If it is just the intake exhaust and chip, I would send your intake to get it ported and polished (can be done for as low as $300), getting a new cat back and H pipe, then going and getting her dyno tuned and you are ahead of the game already. Toss in a CAI and maybe some gears and you are one fast NA Cobra. You just got to look at it like this, you were going to do it anyway... Now you just have to do it now. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread