01 Stock Cobra vs 09 NISMO 370z

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Friend just got a 370z and he is faster than me... He continuously walks away from me at higher speeds. For a stock 01 Cobra with just Flowmaster mufflers, what upgrades can you suggest that would let me walk away from him?

matt87

Established Member
get 4.30s, race from a stop cause roll races are lame. you will destroy him. end of story.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
x pipe for a little more power up top, and gears to start you off the right way, and I imagine you should be reversing the outcome of that race.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
get 4.30s, race from a stop cause roll races are lame. you will destroy him. end of story.

x pipe for a little more power up top, and gears to start you off the right way, and I imagine you should be reversing the outcome of that race.

Great advice guys, thanks! Yeah, pretty much from a 10mph roll (he's scared to launch) to ~ 50mph I am way ahead but then he catches up quick.

Does anyone know where I can buy the flanges for the Ford headers? I might make my own X-Pipe as I have all the tools. I remember last time I had it off there was a weird oval flange though on one of the headers.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Roll races are lame. Get some gears and have him man up from a dig. Toss a tire and and take him at the track.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Should I get 4.56 gears? I have a T-56 Viper with .5 O/D that I'm about to install in 2-3 months when I do my 5.4L swap.

I would say yes, with a 2.66 1st gear you will need the 4.56 gears to get moving and not feel like a slug, not that the 5.4L won't help but you will want the gearing. lol.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I picked up a half second in the 1/8 mile with 4.30s and Nitto 555Rs. Problem is, my mph stayed the same.

I'd say do a tune up on your car first of all, then start with the bolt ons.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
BTW the 370 Zs are quick little cars, according to Motor Trend...

"Putting the Sting Back in the Z -- 0 to 60 In 4.7 sec. and the Quarter Mile in 13.3 sec. at 105.7 MPH"

A full bolt on Cobra should be easy 12s, but being stock it's no surprise he walked you.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
The 370Z should NOT be walking you. *PERIOD*

Have your car checked out.

uh oh...

I'd say do a tune up on your car first of all, then start with the bolt ons.

A full bolt on Cobra should be easy 12s, but being stock it's no surprise he walked you.

I changed the plugs and seafoamed it about 8 months ago. I've put about 3k miles on the Cobra since then. What else do you recommend as far as a tune up is concerned? I'm going to replace the fuel filter also.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
uh oh...

I changed the plugs and seafoamed it about 8 months ago. I've put about 3k miles on the Cobra since then. What else do you recommend as far as a tune up is concerned? I'm going to replace the fuel filter also.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pUIa_JerX0"]YouTube- 370z Dyno relentlessrpm.com 279.6 HP and 241 ftlbsTQ[/ame]

279rwhp/241tq

The NISMO with 18 more bhp (15 rwhp more) and 250'ish torque, should not walk you like you stated.

We have tons more torque, and you might not be able to walk away from one in stock form, but they should not be walking you.

moonltgold

Get cold air, a good tune, and gears and you should be ready. I had an x-pipe on my old 01 and it sounded good but was only worth about 2-3 hp (n/a car). A car with FI of course is another story.

LGHTNG02GT

Established Member
it means it doesnt have any cats. check out your emissions testing/inspections laws before you get rid of your stock midpipe though if you do go the O/R route.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
it means it doesnt have any cats. check out your emissions testing/inspections laws before you get rid of your stock midpipe though if you do go the O/R route.

I wasn't asking what O/R is, I was asking if it was O/R.

I am wondering because he said he saw a 2-3hp gain from switching it out and I always assumed that the cats were a huge restriction and figured you'd see a much bigger gain than 2-3 hp from deleting them.

Users who are viewing this thread