01 V6 fuel pump diagnosis help

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
A friend's father passed and had an 01 V6 mustang that as far as we know, was running before he passed. My friend said it will turn over but doesn't actually start.

Can anyone tell me the pins in the trunk harness to check voltage/with a test light to verify if the pump is getting power? It's been a while since I messed with a stock fuel system but isnt there a connector coming out of the inertia switch I could check in the trunk? I believe it goes CCRM > FPDM > Inertia switch > fuel pump.

I know to reset the inertia switch, look for indicators of a PATS issue with the theft light, Im assuming theres a valve on the pass side rail of a V6 car to check for fuel as well.

Id just like to have all the necessary info to make a quick determination of whats wrong with it so he can get it fixed and sold to cover some bills. I definitely don't wanna drop the stupid fuel tank unless I know for sure the pump is dead

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
now that I've had time to google...

looks like dark green/yellow to the fuel shut off switch and brown/pink to the pump. So can access those wires in the truck or possibly get to that connector over the tank without having to drop it.

pin 11 on the ccrm is for the fuel pump

See what happens this weekend.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
now that I've had time to google...

looks like dark green/yellow to the fuel shut off switch and brown/pink to the pump. So can access those wires in the truck or possibly get to that connector over the tank without having to drop it.

pin 11 on the ccrm is for the fuel pump

See what happens this weekend.
Good luck with the repair!

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
They totally killed the battery trying to start it, had to replace that. Car had power to fuel pump connector (12.6 volts or so) but according to Forscan no fuel pressure key forward or trying to start.

Of course it’s 3/4 full… better than full I guess. He’s gonna order the parts and I’ll knock it outside soon, just wish I could do it in my own garage with all my tools

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
They totally killed the battery trying to start it, had to replace that. Car had power to fuel pump connector (12.6 volts or so) but according to Forscan no fuel pressure key forward or trying to start.

Of course it’s 3/4 full… better than full I guess. He’s gonna order the parts and I’ll knock it outside soon, just wish I could do it in my own garage with all my tools
Good Luck @DSG2003Mach1. Be nice to siphon some of that gas out before you drop that tank. Cool your helping that guy out. Much RESPECT (y)

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve got a hand siphon pump, get it down low enough to take the fuel hat loose and stick the hose down in there to take some out
Thats cool! It'll make it aleast alittle less painless to drop that tank. Being full just makes it more of a pain in the a@@ when your working on the ground.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Thats cool! It'll make it aleast alittle less painless to drop that tank. Being full just makes it more of a pain in the a@@ when your working on the ground.
I also cheat and use my transmission jack with the flat top plate to help balance it

hotcobra03

Established Member
Last time I did one I only had to tilt tank on filter side ,

It went back up no problem on floor jack in driveway,,

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

So you just tilted the tank towards the front of the car and replaced the pump from that side? Definitely interested in any tips to speed up since I’m working for beer and food here lol

hotcobra03

Established Member

Yours may be like 03,,
So you just tilted the tank towards the front of the car and replaced the pump from that side? Definitely interested in any tips to speed up since I’m working for beer and food here lol
Being a straight rear,,it's wide open ,,

I kinda had to being the filter just wouldn't pop off .with tools I had,,
Dropping the front opened it enough to get line off hat,.

I also just had a ford explorer that the fuel filter was a pita,
Got that off with help of a large screw driver to force tool in just a hair more than I could by hand and it popped off
Close to cutting it but just couldn't

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

Yours may be like 03,,

Being a straight rear,,it's wide open ,,

I kinda had to being the filter just wouldn't pop off .with tools I had,,
Dropping the front opened it enough to get line off hat,.

I also just had a ford explorer that the fuel filter was a pita,
Got that off with help of a large screw driver to force tool in just a hair more than I could by hand and it popped off
Close to cutting it but just couldn't

So in doing that could you leave the fuel filler neck inside the tank?

Not that it’s that hard to undo those evap lines and drop it

hotcobra03

Established Member
So in doing that could you leave the fuel filler neck inside the tank?

Not that it’s that hard to undo those evap lines and drop it
I left all that alone just straps and plug I recall but it was awhile ago,,I may have undone filler neck at door ,couple bolts for play

I try not to touch more than needed ,,seams like plastic pieces break just looking at them ,,

Users who are viewing this thread